Intital weight loss...how much did you lose

Options
After your initial weight loss, how much did you lose per week. I lost 10lbs. right away when I started MFP, but I've noticed the weight loss has slowed down and I am getting frustrated! I am staying under my calories and I exercise at least 4 times a week, so it's not because I have cheated on my plan.

Anyone else had the same experience and if so, when did the weight start coming off again?

Replies

• fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    While working within my calories and doing the 30 day shred in the morning, plus some activity in the evening (walking/swimming with the kids, etc) I started at 195 pounds. 2 days later I was 190. After the first week I was 188. And in 5.5 weeks I've lost 15 pounds, which works out to about 2 pounds a week after that initial week. But I am also a massage therapist on my feet throughout most of the day and I don't count that as exercise, so it could eb i am burning more in a day than i think i am.
    good luck! and, as they say, it took a long time to put the weight on, it may take a lot of work to get it off again!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should be losing 1-2 pounds, depending on your goal. How much have you lost each week and what is your goal loss/week. To meet your goal you must also eat back your exercise calories.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Initial weight loss is water weight. it is normal to lose up to 10lbs during the first couple weeks. After that you should not lose more than 2 lbs a week, at least not without doctor supervision.

I lost 97 lbs in 9 months. That's more than 10lbs a month, but I did it without doctor supervision and ended up with gall stones + complications which resulted in surgery. If you lose between .5lb-2lb a week, you're doing it in a healthy way.

Don't feel frustrated. The scale is just a number. You need to measure yourself once a month and having someone at the gym measure your body fat percentage is a lot more important than what the scale says.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Your inital loss is mostly water weight!! Many people are diff, but .5lbs to 2 lbs a week is a safe and healthy weightloss!!
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Without more information the only thing I could think is that your body is in starvation mode. You don't want to be under the calories that MFP gives you. But it's hard to tell. 10lbs in 1 week is a lot.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    What kind of weekly loss are you expecting? You a) probably lost a lot of water weight at the beginning b) shouldn't be expecting more than a lb a week -- 2 at most. Don't push it. Be patient. It's not cuz you've cheated on your plan, its because that's the pace you should be losing at.
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    the first week will mainly be water weight. then the weight loss is going slow down. an healthy weightloss is a 1lb a week. so dont get discouraged, keep working on your diet and exercise and you will see the scale go down. also take measurements. that is more reliable than the scale. muscle weighs more than fat.
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. Or at least for me it was. The first I think I lost 7 pounds, being at 204. If it starts to slow it's because your body is getting to a more comfortable level with your exercises. However, if you want to shed a few extra pounds for a week, it never hurts to amp up your exercise. Or maybe choose more challenging ones.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs the first week but have not lost any the last two weeks (only been dieting for the last 3 weeks). The first week my hubby and I did the P90 Express weight loss which had an average of 900-1000 calories per day. The diet was low on carbs (no grains but two fruits a day plus tons of vegs) and very high protein. I know that is low but I am only 5 ft so I thought it would be okay for 1 week. Since then (the last two weeks), I have upped my calories to 1200 plus -- I eat most of my exercise calories. Except for the occasional glass of wine and 1 diet soda a day, my diet is pretty free of processed foods. Even so, I am getting pretty frustrated with the lack of weight loss.
  • Beth_1217
    Options
    Same here. I lost a good bit the first week. It has since slowed to about 1 lb a week... sometimes 1.5 or 2, but not more than 2. It does seem to be painfully slow, but I think in the long run it's better if it comes off slowly. Sometimes I find that mixing up my workouts helps; if I try something different it seems to shake things up. Don't give up!
  • tashajasmine
    tashajasmine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds so far. 2-3 pounds a week for the first 3 weeks. I haven't lost any weight at all the past two weeks but I haven't gained either. I have noticed my muscles ache more than they used to and everything feels tighter. Last week I took measurements thinking maybe I'm gaining muscle and loosing fat. We'll see on Tuesday if I've lost inches. I've heard though that people sometimes get into a plateau and if you bump up your routine you'll start loosing again. I've also heard that if you just stay the course this will pass and the pounds will be dropping off again in a few weeks. It can be discouraging but don't give up. Doing something is a lot better than doing nothing!
  • xerinx2011
    Options
    My 1st week was 9lb
    2nd =5lbs
    3rd =4lbs

The 1st week was mostly water and the 2n3 and 3rd are near enough to be consistant :D
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 in the first 7 weeks and want to lose another 1.5 lbs before the end of the month. I know this is a jump start and not to expect this kind of weight loss long term. After this I'm looking to lose 5 lbs per month throught the end of the year and be at my ultimate goal weight by the start of next summer. Slow and steady win the race - Good luck!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    ive 2 pounds a week since the begining it seems
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    2lbs. it's the only time I was hoping for a big drop and I got 2lbs. :sad:

I've lost 2lbs a week since starting (I've lost more than my ticker tells you, the starting weight is wrong).
  • NancyQR28
    NancyQR28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs. in 5 weeks. So that's about 2lbs. a week. I count this as my intital weight loss. I do eat my exercise calories, but not all of them, I try to leave at least 50 or so.
    You should be losing 1-2 pounds, depending on your goal. How much have you lost each week and what is your goal loss/week. To meet your goal you must also eat back your exercise calories.