Hypothyroidism???

Options
Anyone else here battling with this? Do you have any tips???

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have a lump on my thyroid..waiting for tests to find out what is going on but would be happy to have another friend.
  • jybdrummer
    jybdrummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism. We're doing blood tests to confirm his diagnosis. The problem I had was chronic fatigue which made daily exercise very difficult. In the meantime I started taking vitamins. I take a multi-vitamin, B-complex, iron and zinc. This helped relieve my chronic fatigue so I could continue my daily exercise routine.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I hope the test results turn out ok!!!
  • kjohannson
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago, and at the time my doctor said if I wanted to lose weight I'd "have to work a lot harder". Having had a baby, and having trouble losing the weight, I started mfp in November and have lost 11 of the 25/30 that I want to lose. So, it's not impossible!! I am on synthroid to help my thyroid and we did have to increase the dose as I found that the lower dose was making me feel tired, and I was gaining weight rapidly. I have heard from others that it may take a while to find the proper dose for your body, as the "normal" range may not be normal for you. Good luck! You can do it!
  • Jenn728
    Options
    I am currently taking synthroid, I have to have it tested again next month. I gained all of my weight before it was determined that I had thyroid issues. Now I'm just trying to find the best way to deal with it.
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have had Hashimoto's Thyroidism (an autoimmune disease that results in hypothyroidism) for the last 20 yrs. Not fun to have when you are trying to lose weight. Even so, you can do it but you will probably have to work harder than others. I know I have to fight for every lb I take off.

Janalayn -- Lumps are pretty common if you have Hashimoto's but they still need to be checked out. I have many -- some that were biopised 10 yrs ago. There are several women on this site that have had thyroid cancer and many, many more that have thyroid issues. Search for Thyroid cancer if you want find others.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Go to SEARCH and type "hypothyroidisnm" and it will direct you to several posts in the MFP database.

I have it, I am on medication and doing very well. It will take sometime for the medication to work and your doctor may need to adjust the dose periodically, so have patience.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had it for the best part of around 12 years and find it is soooo easy to put weight on - I try to keep my carbs intake as low as I can, without feeling like I'm missing out on anything, as carbs really seem to put weight on me. I'm always tired even though 'I'm within the normal ranges etc' so really do have to force myself to take exercise. If I didn't make myself do it I'd just find myself snoozing! I've been taking some thyroid support formula tablets recently to see if it helps my thyroid function - it's just vitamins etc, haven't noticed any difference yet.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on helping yourself with this problem, I'd love to hear them too :)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yep - diagnosed 6 1/2 years ago. It's a challenge, but when you get your tsh levels corrected it helps alot! You will be able to lose weight, but it's a little harder. Until the tsh levels are corrected, it is very difficult to lose weight though. Still - keep up with yoru healthy lifestyle. It helps in the end. It's always better to be living a healthy lifestyle! Always, always take your meds, and keep up on your blood work. They are vital! Other than that - keep on plugging away. It gets better. And if you've been extremely tired, the meds will help with that - you'll see a difference within a couple of weeks.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism several years ago, after talking to my doctor at my physical about tiredness in general, dry skin, etc.
    It was several years after this diagnosis that I lost my weight.....so it is doable. Might be harder, but it definitely can be done. I do take the generic synthroid each day, along with a multivitamin, calcium, and a couple other supplements.

I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol, and after losing the weight was able to quit taking the Lipitor I had been on for four years. THAT is what has made me feel so much better. I was also able to avoid starting on medication for adult-onset diabetes.

Kaye
  • Deeosmun
    Deeosmun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you take it one day at a time. Make sure that your levels are in check often. Your TSH levels can change just slightly and bam. The fatigue comes back and the wieght problems.

I was diagnosed for the second time in my life, with Hypothyroidism in June 2010 after gaining 35 lbs in 4 months. I lost at total of 60 lbs from June to Novemeber. I had my appendix removed in early November and my TSH levels were very off after that. It took about 3 weeks for me to figure out why I was so tired again and when I got on teh scale and in 3 weeks had gained 15 pounds I freaked and call my dr.

Now I'm right as rain. I will be taking my medication everyday for the rest of my life and I've come to terms with that. I'm cool with it now. As long as I don't have to take all the vitamins I was taking before, now I drink Shakeology and take my meds.
  • lookintolose
    lookintolose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism and struggle to keep it in balance. TIPS: Have it checked every 6 - 9 months by someone who knows what they are doing -- I see an endocrinologist. Also take Synthroid, not a generic. The generic does not work. FInally take the highest does possible in order to feel "normal". Once you start taking meds you will notice a huge change and also will feel like crap if you miss a couple days.

There are some natural dietary tweaks that may help:
    1. increase your iodine intake to 150mcg in order to synthesize T4 & T3 hormones. You can get this from foods like kelp or seaweed or a supplement like "Now Kelp" from iherb.com
    2. include a good dose of protein in every meal to give your thyroid the amino acid tyrosine
    3. fish and eggs can also increase your thryoid because they have selenium to convert T4 & T3 into an active hormone
    4. Standard Process is another supplement line that offers Thytrophin PMG which is supposed to encourage production of T$ & T3 and has iodine and selenium.

Just to clarify: The goal is to convert the T4 into T3 because the T3 us four times more potenent in regulating metabolism and energy.
  • Jenn728
    Options
    Go to SEARCH and type "hypothyroidisnm" and it will direct you to several posts in the MFP database.

Thanks, I didn't even know about this feature!!!!

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know that it is still possible.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I have hypothyroidism. We're doing blood tests to confirm his diagnosis. The problem I had was chronic fatigue which made daily exercise very difficult. In the meantime I started taking vitamins. I take a multi-vitamin, B-complex, iron and zinc. This helped relieve my chronic fatigue so I could continue my daily exercise routine.

Just and FYI - my kids both have celiac disease. Hypothyroid is a common side disease that goes along with celiac disease - also - chronic fatigue is frequently diagnosed when celiac disease is the problem. Even if it's not celiac specifically, gluten intolerance or sensitivity both can manifest at hypothyroid and chronic fatigue. May just want to do some more research on your own. HTH.

Also - search the internet for Adrenal Fatigue - there is a dr that is an "expert" by the name of Wilson that has a great book on the subject.
  • Ely82010
    Options
    Yep, I've had it for the best part of around 12 years and find it is soooo easy to put weight on - I try to keep my carbs intake as low as I can, without feeling like I'm missing out on anything, as carbs really seem to put weight on me. I'm always tired even though 'I'm within the normal ranges etc' so really do have to force myself to take exercise. If I didn't make myself do it I'd just find myself snoozing! I've been taking some thyroid support formula tablets recently to see if it helps my thyroid function - it's just vitamins etc, haven't noticed any difference yet.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on helping yourself with this problem, I'd love to hear them too :)

I really hope that you are not counting on supplements to control your TSH, T3 and T4, and that you are taking synthroid or its generic. It is very dangerous and detrimental to your body not to keep a proper thyroid function. If you are taking synthroid and your levels are back to normal and regulated by the medication, you should not feel that tired or not tired at all.
  • Ely82010
    Options
    Correct about the conversion of T3 and T4 into TSH. If the T3 and T4 values are high, even if TSH levels are almost normal, the doctor may need to change the dose of your medication to balance all the hormones.

The medication should be taken on an empty stomach and we should not eat anything for at least 1/2 hour to facilitate absorption of the medication. People may not be aware (doctors don't tell you this either), that calcium supplements interfere with thyroid medication, and that we should wait at least 4 hours before taking any CA tablets. I take my med in the morning and calcium at night. Read the package insert or consult with your pharmacist about this statement.

On the other hand, generics do work on some people, and we should not make a general statement that they don't work at all. I am on low doses of Levothyroxine (synthetic for Synthroid), and Liothyronine (synthetic for Cytomel for the maintenance of T3 and T4), and I am doing well.

Some insurance companies will not pay for brand names if the generic versions are available, and although Synthroid is not an expensive drug, not everybody can afford the expense.
  • hypodumpling
    Options
    Sigh, I have it too. Diagnosed dec 2008 and seem to gain weight from nothing! I'm still trying to get my TSH level to behave as it has gone from 14.4 to 0.1 then steadily increased to 4.1. Have increased meds again about 3 weeks ago (now on 100mcg daily) so a few weeks to go until blood test. I have also heard that it can take ages to get the right dose. I exercise 4 x week 1 hr day, stick to roughly 800 cal a day with high protien, low fat and low carbs (between 30-40g). Lost 2.9kg in the first 3 days (fluid) and have been stuck at the same weight for the last 6 days despite my best efforts. I am tryiing an all protein day today to try a sneak attack!

4679760.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods