Im intimidated by joing a class at the gym

Options
Im haveing a hard time loosing. Ive been doing cardio and some weights. Ive been watching what I eat also. I think I dont push myself enough. I really need to join a class at the gym but Im very intimidated by them. I have this thing I always let myself down, by giving up or not doing my best. Now if its for someone else o I put in 150% whats up with that. Anyways, for instance I really want to try yoga but new things scare me. Im a very outgoing person too so this is so strange to me feeling this way.

Replies

• Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was the same way :) Then I went and I was the heaviest one there and it made me even more upset...But I stuck it out and everyone was way supportive and encouraging. I go 2 times a week now and some of the girls are in other classes as well so I know people when I go into new classes...Give it a try it's so worth it:wink:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't like taking classes either, I feel very self-concious but always wanted to try them!! I got Golds Gym dance workout for the wii and it is AWESOME, feels like you're in a class but I'm by myself so I can wear what I want and don't have to worry about stares or anything (except from my dog lol) Or you can invest in a couple work-out dvds if you do not have a wii. I'm extremely clumsy/awkward and find that gyms class times do not work with my schedule so working out with "class-type" games and dvds helps me a lot!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the first step to overcoming the problems you face is by making the first steps, you have already started, as much as it may intimidate you, you should go conquer the fear thats all that is holding you back once you do that the rest is easy.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    TRY IT!!!! I weighed 250 lbs when I began yoga and I love it. Yoga is not about being a pretzel, it is about doing what your body can do and working up to the harder positions. A good instructor will tell you that a provide modifications espically if they know you are new. Also, I promise everyone one in the class is working so hard on holding ther pose they don't have time to look at you doing yours. Yoga is the best thing I ever did for myself. The stress relief is amazing. Good Luck!
  • xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ah i know how you feel!!! I have been trying to pursuade my friend to come to Zumba with me! I also want to do try the pilates there, but im far too scared, i know everyone there will be skinny mini's! :(

I keep saying to myself "yep im just going to suck up all of the fear and self conciousness" but then i just chicken out! It sucks!
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was a little intimidated too when I first started zumba, but I kept hearing people say "no one will be looking at you cause they are all watching the instructor to know what the moves are". And it was true. I went and had NO time to watch anyone else. It was all I could do to watch the instructor and manage to keep up myself.

I *did* notice one person a week or so ago and I'll tell you what made me notice her. She wasn't doing anything. She was basically standing there and a few times making an attempt to go along. I suspect she was nervous and worrying about what others would think of her, but had she been moving along with the rest of us, I doubt she would have stood out at all.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Ah i know how you feel!!! I have been trying to pursuade my friend to come to Zumba with me! I also want to do try the pilates there, but im far too scared, i know everyone there will be skinny mini's! :(

I keep saying to myself "yep im just going to suck up all of the fear and self conciousness" but then i just chicken out! It sucks!

Palaties is similar to yoga...not everyone is a skinny mini. They are too concentrated on their work to look at you. Be proud that you are doing somthing to better your body and if someone is judging you it's b/c they are insecure.
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am totally the same as you!! I am outgoing but hate to do anything like THAT! But, I have found that I love Yoga and Zumba!! Here is how I got up the courage...I went! I stood in the back my first couple of times but, now I am front and center at all classes because I want to be able to see better! Remember that there is always someone hotter and skinner and in better shape than you BUT, their is also someone there who is uglier, fatter, or in worse shape than you...so everyone is the rule not the exceptions!! Everyone is there feeling and saying the same things to themselves that you are too!! GO GO GO!!

Now my problem is I dont like to run outside by myself....LOL
  • klutz25
    klutz25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't let your fear stop you. Yoga is great and very helpful for stress releif, balance and strength. It is wonderful. Find an exercise buddy, maybe someone in class already , that you will look forward seeing every time. My exercise buddy and I have become great friends and I can truly say that there have been times I would have stayed at home except for feeling that I would be letting her down; which is really funny because not going would be letting myself down more. KL
  • coldsutherner
    Options
    Thank yall all so much. Yall are "KINDA" getting me pumpe!
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting through the door. After that its easy.

Go a little early and let the instructor know you are new. They will likely tell you the best place to be to be able to see properly.

One class using weights I went to the instructor assigned a regular to help me get everything together. It was great and made things a lot easier.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I agree with fuzzy, go a few minutes early and let the instructor know that it's your first time. They will be very welcoming and give you some pointers on pacing yourself.

Just pick the class that looks like the most fun and go for it. If you don't have fun just try another. Everybody doesn't like the same thing.
  • coldsutherner
    Options
    There is a zumba class tonight at 530 Im gonna give it a try