Any ideas of what to eat at Mexican Restaurant?

amy29fan
amy29fan Posts: 83 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I am going to a Mexican Restaurant called Los Mariachi's tonight. I really don't want to mess anything up. I am thinking about having a Fajita Chicken salad and some chips and salsa. Any suggestions?????

Replies

• frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    The chips can be a killer, so unless you LOVE them... Watch the dressing they put on the salad. When I eat a Mexican style salad, I put only salsa on it.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 385 Member
    I am going to a Mexican Restaurant called Los Mariachi's tonight. I really don't want to mess anything up. I am thinking about having a Fajita Chicken salad and some chips and salsa. Any suggestions?????

That sounds like it might be good. I would check the calories before you go against the data base and then you know if you can have some Flan for dessert. LOL
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    I usually go with the Carne Asada with 2 TBS guacamole. I also only eat 12 chips with 1 tbs salsa.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Sound good! I know the flour tortillas pile on the calories. But your choice sounds good :) Have fun!
  • Im so glad you asked this question, I am going to eat Mexican tonight too, and I was just about to ask the same thing!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Taco salad, no cheese, dressing on the side, don't eat the shell.

Fajitas, just eat the veggies and meat

Vegetable enchilada, no sauce
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    fajitas are usually safe but avoid the sour cream/guacamole. The chips (as someone already said) are KILLER with sodium/calories. If you have 2-3 fajitas (veggie + chicken/beef + a little salsa), you should come in <600 calories for the whole meal

**EDIT - that fajita calorie count INCLUDES the tortilla. I love tortillas too much to pass them up altogether!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Chicken fajitas, no sour cream, little guacamole, easy on the rice and beans. You can even eat the chicken sans tortilla to save a few calories. :)
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    I actually went last night, had 3 steak tacos...steak only (naked as I call them) with some pico sauce and about 10-12 chips with salsa. It worked great and I stayed under my calorie count for the day.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    When I go to eat Mexican fajitas and veggies are my thing no tortillas and corn chips. I start eating those corn chips and don't stop so be careful. I went to Don Pablos one time when I was low carbing it and I ate some salsa and no chips. They have a pretty chunky salsa so I could do it with that.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    I love mexican!!!

Carne Asada. YUM! (Squeeze some lime on the carne asada).

Chili Relleno is also a favortie except sometimes it comes only stuffed with cheese. :( I usually get the ones stuffed with chicken, veggies or fruits/nuts or something. It's fried but I find the batter is easy to just peal off and your left with the pepper and the stuffing. SOOOOO good.

The safest would be fajitas and pass on the tortillas. Chicken/steak and veggies with some fresh salsa. It'll fill you up for sure. :) And you'll have some calories left to enjoy a few chips. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Fajitas in general are the best choice...and agreed with the above statements...chips are a killer...but they surely are wonderful :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    I would just avoid anything with cheese sauce, fried or sour cream in the contents. And definitely avoid the chips if you can. Good luck!
  • I am glad this question was asked. My family usually likes to go for mexican about once a week. I just haven't been going with. I figured all I could eat was "salsa on spoon". :-)
This discussion has been closed.