Very Expensive Pee

Options
So what's your take on vitamin supplements?

Are they good for just creating very expensive pee or is it worth taking them to help boost your intake of vitamins?

Replies

• misskelly121
    Options
    Haha! This makes me laugh. I have no insight for you, but Id love to find out too!!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    HAHA, love the title. I'm on the wagon, they've served me well energy-wise, and I'm only sick when I run out of them! (GNC Womens Active Vita-pack)
  • Mark_99
    Options
    I use protein powder to help my muscles repair after a workjout, i dont use them to gain size. i find they are very good and i really notice the difference when using them after i train compared to whren i dont use them.............

They help me but i dare say theyre not for everyonne :-)
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't take vitamins of any sort.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    The only vitamin supplement I believe in is calcium, especially for women. Everything else I think you can get with a balanced diet, and unless you have something that makes you deficient in certain vitamins, I don't think you need 100% of the recommended dose everyday. But that's just my personal opinion.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is the bomb.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    i would say consult with your doctor. There are labs they can run to see what you're lacking. You don't want to pay for expensive pee. I currently take a multi-vitamin and super B complex and just started fish oil (worried about my heart's health) and vitamin D (it was free w/ purchase-and it has been raining here for the last 8 months) LOL but the multi and super B have made a world of differance because I was lacking. A side note, only pre-natal vitamins are regulated by the FDA to actually contain what they advertise. They do not have hormones, so I take those. My hair and nails grow fast. The other pills could just be placebos if they wanted to. Target has some great deals on vitamins right now, try them and see how you feel. :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I dont take any, I think my diet is pretty good enough without them.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Are they good for just creating very expensive pee or is it worth taking them to help boost your intake of vitamins?

If you are eating the right foods and choosing organic and locally purchased foods (proven to be more nutritional) there is very little need for supplements.

When I was taking vitamin supplements, I took raw vitamins that were a whole food source, not synthetic vitamins like what GNC and wal-mart sells. Synthetic vitamins will make your pee expensive.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    LOL LOVE THE TITLE!!! :laugh:
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I take a basic multivitamin just to cover the bases, fish oil and a vitamin B and C supplement. I find I have a bit more energy with the vitamin B supplement.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I already have enough vitamins for about a year, so I keep taking them. I take one-a-day for women or the CVS equivalent, because it already includes calcium. I started taking vitamins because my gynecologist recommended taking a multivitamin (Centrum at the time). I read something that said that you shouldn´t take vitamins like the ones I take, but I don´t know if that´s true. For now, I´ll keep taking them until I figure it all out.
  • fergy66
    Options
    I take a women's mulitvitamin everyday. I just use the equate brand. I couldn't tell a difference in the name brand vs. generic. My bloodwork hasn't changed or anything but I seem to have more energy.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Instead of omega oil supplements, I would just enjoy an avocado! Yumyum Or figure out a regular amount of fish intake for the week.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    For me, they are worth it. Depending on the time of the year, month, what I'm lacking in etc.... I'll take a B, D or Iron supplement. Although, I'm very picky about the kinds of vitamins I take, I wont take the synthetic ones. I usually do raw whole food vitamins. They have helped me a great deal.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Is it worth taking to help boost your intake of vitamins? Huh?

I take vitamin's daily. My whole family takes Airbourne if anybody starts sneezing. I have chewable vitamin C at my desk. I stay healthy 95% of the year and rarely use my sick time at work. While my coworkers are always out sick, or have migraines, or leave work early because they are on their monthly cycle. :noway: Many people believe that it's expensive pee. To each his own.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an article you might consider. I've always figured that vitamins are just a supplement and so you should be looking to your food to provide the nutrition your body needs and a multiviatamin to cover any gaps. From this article it sounds like only people that fit into certain risk categories really *need* to take a multivitamin. So if you feel you're paying too much, I'd consider switching to a lower-cost alternative and make sure you're eating a variety of fresh fruits and veggies for your nutrients.

http://www.consumersearch.com/multivitamins/review
  • Sheilamj
    Options
    Hey there!
    I am a firm believer in taking a daily MULTI.
    A major reason why is that we think we are getting vitimins and minerals in our food (fruits/veggies etc) BUT most of the time the food is void of nutrients because it is so 'old' by the time it reaches our mouths. From the second an apple is picked it begins to lose it's nutrient value. By the time it gets to the grocery store and then to your fridge it may not have any real nutrients left.

As for the flourescent expensive looking urine, lol, I have found that over time my urine was not as bright.
    Perhaps my body is now absorbing more.
    Also I drink 1 - 3L of water daily - this may help dilute the pee.

Best of luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i hate that most vitamins give you 100% (OR MORE) of the daily recommendation. sooooo if i take this vitamin, i don't need any food throughout the day? lol. i wanted to get vitamin c as a 'supplement' but i couldn't find one that was only 50% or 75%; instead they were all mega-doses. in that case, it is expensive pee. :) but i take a prenatal vitamin and occasionally calcium when i have been lax on eating healthy.

edit: i love juice+ vitamins and gummies!!! i credit them with helping my asperger's son act less autistic.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I take them. I have increased energy. Fish oil has aided in my good cholesterol going up and bad going down. Whether it's mind over matter or what but it's worth it to me.