In The Office

Options
I work in an office...any tips on how to burn some calories while not having a bunch of people around me gapping at me? lol
I exercise when I get home, and make sure I eat low calorie/low sodium and drink lots of water while at work, but I still feel like I should do something other than just staying on my butt most of the day. I get up and walk around sometimes, but any other tips would be appreciated :happy:

Replies

• teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Every little action helps...
    Park a couple blocks away and walk, always choose stairs, dont' text people go to them and talk. Walk/Workout during lunch. Any and every little bit counts.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    How about some squats and lunges, drop some stuff and pick it up over and over, LOL...or leg lifts at your chair?
  • kbdelarosa
    kbdelarosa Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I take two or three "non-smoke breaks" a day and walk around my building as fast as I can, I bring a change of shoes and take a 6 minute break. Hey, that is 18 minutes total if I take three....no one will miss you for that short of a period of time. That burns about 70 calories extra for the day, not a ton, but it's something and at the end of the week that is 350 calories!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Take the stairs instead of the elevator, stand instead of sitting, do some bends, streatches etc..
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I used to have an application for desk yoga. Basically every 30 minutes at my desk it would give me a stretch to do. It just looked like regular stretching out to everyone else, and reminded me to move around in my chair and sit up straight.

Desk jobs are hard that way.

Good luck!
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    watching for ideas
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I do butt clenches regularly in my chair (and I've been told many times that my butt is awesome! :happy: ) I also fidget a lot, and sometimes pretend I'm riding a bicycle.

I use the downstairs bathroom so I have to walk up and down a flight of stairs every time I go. I've also started doing lunges and squats in there sometimes.
  • KaitKaz
    KaitKaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people putting mini-steppers under their desk (they're about $70 on amazon). I want to bring in a stability ball as a chair for my desk - but like you, I don't want people wondering what the hell. I've heard though, that swaping out your computer chair for a stability ball is really good for your core (and probably most of your muscles) because you're always compensating for being slightly off balance.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I try to do 10 min or so of walking up and down stairs at least twice/day
  • kpagilagan
    Options
    I am allowed 2-15 minute breaks and a lunch break at work. During my 2 mini breaks, I walk with a friend at work around the building and neighboring buildings at a brisk pace. At our lunch break, we eat our home lunches and then take another walk. We've also done stairs. We work on the 7th floor so we get a workout there. Anything helps!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    LOL, these suggestions is why I LOVE MFP!!! I got a little under the desk pedal bike. It is not that big, it was for $30 on amazon.com w/ free shipping. I found a local store that sold it for more and they price matched. It has a timer so it is easy to log into your exercise.
  • jkodis
    Options
    There is an exercise I do in the bathroom stall...a trainer used to have me stand at the end of a bench seat, feet shoulder-width apart, one fist inside the other open palm in front of chest, elbows out. Squat to bench seat and stand (keep your center, don't bend over, make your legs/butt do the work). In the stall you can use the toilet seat. Do 3 sets of 12.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    butt clenches.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    At my mom's work they got a little group together. On their lunch break they would put in a 20 minute exercise video and all do it together, or go for a quick walk when the weather is good.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I sit at a front desk in an office so i can't exactly be doing exercises and lunges while I work but I get up a lot to go to the bathroom down the hall (bc I drink lots of water here) and I walk to the breakroom/kitchen a lot to get more water and make my lunch or whatwever... one of the things I do is dance under my desk (lol). No one can see my legs so i just fidget and literally dance with my legs to the music I'm listening to. it may not be a traditional workout but it does burn a little bit of calories :)
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    I'm glad this was posted, thank you.

I take the stairs down (5 flights) about 4 - 5 times a day for a non-smoke break - but not up as the door is key-coded. And I go to the ladies room 2 flights up each time - and that's a lot, on the amount of water I'm chugging down.

I get the bus home and get off a stop early so that gives me a 15 minute brisk walk at the end of the day as well.

It's not a lot but it's better than sitting at my desk for 8 hours and only walking to the kitchen to make a drink a few times a day. Every little helps!
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I say, let them look and watch. It may seem weird at first but I bet there is at least one person at your office that would benefit from your healthy initiative and start their own journey as well. You could start a desk workout club. then the people who aren't participating and moving their bodies are the ones that look stange :)
  • outersoul
    Options
    Use an exercise ball for a chair. We have quite a few people at my office that do it.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    At my previous office job I used to take breaks for water all the time, not only did it mean I was drinking loads of fluid and needing the toilet more often the water cooler is also at the other side of the floor so took a good 5 minutes there and back. Doesnt seem like alot at the start but doing it even once every 2 hours was 20 mins a day and works out at 100 minutes week just for water alone!!

I also used to be "neighbourly" to the people sitting at the same pod of desks and offer to get them a tea or coffee, meaning I had to go to the kitchen a few times a day adding more minutes!

Definately use the stairs instead of the lift and if you drive in maybe think of using a bus or train and walking a longer distance or park as far away as you can and walk the final journey.