Starting tomorrow....

Options
I have come on here before stating that my love of Captain and Diet Soda has been ruining my weight loss goals. I gave up all alcohol for an entire week, trying to give it up forever. That didn't get me very far, to say the least.

Not being one to fall down and stay down, I am getting up and trying again, though this time I'm not going to try for "never again", I'm striving for once a week and then special occasions. I know myself well enough that I enjoy a great glass of wine, or a strong cocktail, too much to say never. So there's that!! lol.

So, starting tomorrow, I am doing two things. I am breaking my caffiene (aka Starbucks) addiction to in turn break my three-drink-a-night habit. I'm starting tomorrow for two reasons: it's the weekend and my husband is working all weekend. :tongue: He doesn't need to see a grouchy wife!!:laugh:

It won't be easy, but I'm getting a drinkers belly and my stomach can't handle the acid that alcohol and coffee create.

So wish me luck!!! It's going to be a bumpy ride......

:flowerforyou:
M

Replies

• Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I have come on here before stating that my love of Captain and Diet Soda has been ruining my weight loss goals. I gave up all alcohol for an entire week, trying to give it up forever. That didn't get me very far, to say the least.

Not being one to fall down and stay down, I am getting up and trying again, though this time I'm not going to try for "never again", I'm striving for once a week and then special occasions. I know myself well enough that I enjoy a great glass of wine, or a strong cocktail, too much to say never. So there's that!! lol.

So, starting tomorrow, I am doing two things. I am breaking my caffiene (aka Starbucks) addiction to in turn break my three-drink-a-night habit. I'm starting tomorrow for two reasons: it's the weekend and my husband is working all weekend. :tongue: He doesn't need to see a grouchy wife!!:laugh:

It won't be easy, but I'm getting a drinkers belly and my stomach can't handle the acid that alcohol and coffee create.

So wish me luck!!! It's going to be a bumpy ride......

M
  • girldeese
    Options
    I applaud you but I will NEVER give up my coffee!! You know there are many places, like Starbucks too...that you can have sugar free, non-fat, and even non-caffinated drinks at right??? I swear they taste just as good, and I get one....everyday!! Love it!! :love:

Good Luck though!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    I applaud you but I will NEVER give up my coffee!! You know there are many places, like Starbucks too...that you can have sugar free, non-fat, and even non-caffinated drinks at right??? I swear they taste just as good, and I get one....everyday!! Love it!! :love:

Good Luck though!!

O, darling, I know it!! :laugh: I am a coffe snob, though.....and after working at Starbucks....:noway: lol. I'm horrible.

I'm giving it up because of cost (I hate making my own, and have tried to live by that many many times....see above: I am a coffee snob! lol.....) and because I am developing bad stomach acid problems.

• psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!

And remember... only give up things that are necessary. Not to play devil's advocate, but black coffee (no cream or sugar), 1 per day is not really that bad.
    However, alcolhol is GREAT to cut or minimize.

I still have my skim chai latte, simply because it's my bliss. I think that fitness and nutrition should be fun, so definitely don't make yourself miserable or you'll be more likely to fall back.
    But I support you in this and wish you the best!!!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I applaude your new goal and that you're not giving up.

I find that it's better to work for progress than perfection. Everytime I use words such as "I'll never" or I'm going to always" I find that I'm a big liar.

Alcohol isn't really a treat or a celebration if you use it too frequently.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i'm on wine detox this week... after drinking waaaay too much wine on my vacation. stopping wasn't that bad, i think my body wanted to stop too.

you can do it! and props for setting realistic goals!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    Best wishes!

And remember... only give up things that are necessary. Not to play devil's advocate, but black coffee (no cream or sugar), 1 per day is not really that bad.
    However, alcolhol is GREAT to cut or minimize.

I still have my skim chai latte, simply because it's my bliss. I think that fitness and nutrition should be fun, so definitely don't make yourself miserable or you'll be more likely to fall back.
    But I support you in this and wish you the best!!!!!

I love chai lattes! I have to be honest, I was dreaming about them last night. :laugh:

But, fiscally and mentally, I cannot step into a Starbucks for at least a week so that I can really stick to my goals.

Thank you all for your support!
  • girldeese
    Options

Good Luck though!!

O, darling, I know it!! :laugh: I am a coffe snob, though.....and after working at Starbucks....:noway: lol. I'm horrible.

I'm giving it up because of cost (I hate making my own, and have tried to live by that many many times....see above: I am a coffee snob! lol.....) and because I am developing bad stomach acid problems.

Well...I know about cost!! lol ..... It is my one sin! And I use to be a HARDCORE Starbucks person....Only thing I would drink, until a privately owned local shop opened and and now Starbucks can't even compare to my sugar free, fat free, vanilla iced latte! Or butterrum sugar free.....SO Yummy!!!!! I scrape up change if need be....I mean I am SOOOOOOO Addicted!! Sorry to hear about your stomach problems....I think I'd go nuts giving up my coffee!!:wink:
  • Fab140
    Options

Good Luck though!!

Well...I know about cost!! lol ..... It is my one sin! And I use to be a HARDCORE Starbucks person....Only thing I would drink, until a privately owned local shop opened and and now Starbucks can't even compare to my sugar free, fat free, vanilla iced latte! Or butterrum sugar free.....SO Yummy!!!!! I scrape up change if need be....I mean I am SOOOOOOO Addicted!! Sorry to hear about your stomach problems....I think I'd go nuts giving up my coffee!!:wink:

:laugh: :laugh:

We must have the same mother!!!

I used to walk places because I didn't want to break into my Starbucks money.....I still skimp on things to afford coffee....

BUT between my tummy issues and my sleep issues (I drink a Venti Iced coffee every day and on bad days I'll go back for a grande!!) it may be for the best. :bigsmile:
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oh Lady - I feel you! My greatest struggle in this weight loss journey is trying to find a balance with my love of red wine. I mean, I know that '1 glass a night' is not a bad thing, but it's so hard stopping at one for me - I LOVE wine.

I try to limit myself to 2 nights a week, but I seem to rarely make that mark. Not to mention that I have a 'girls night' every week where we all think that drinking a bottle is a good idea. :wink:

But, there comes a time when I had to admit that my lack of weight loss progress was coming from somewhere, and the extra 800-1000 wine calories a week can't be ignored any longer.

So sad - goodbye sweet wine! (well, at least goodbye for a while until I can learn how to control myself around the sweet stuff...)

Sigh. :smile:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Oh Lady - I feel you! My greatest struggle in this weight loss journey is trying to find a balance with my love of red wine. I mean, I know that '1 glass a night' is not a bad thing, but it's so hard stopping at one for me - I LOVE wine.

I try to limit myself to 2 nights a week, but I seem to rarely make that mark. Not to mention that I have a 'girls night' every week where we all think that drinking a bottle is a good idea. :wink:

But, there comes a time when I had to admit that my lack of weight loss progress was coming from somewhere, and the extra 800-1000 wine calories a week can't be ignored any longer.

So sad - goodbye sweet wine! (well, at least goodbye for a while until I can learn how to control myself around the sweet stuff...)

O, how we suffer for our loves!!

But just think how GREAT that wine will taste when you haven't had an entire bottle the night before (I've done that SO many times in the past.......the next morning was no walk in the park....unless the park was filled with evil trees bopping you on the head!).

Stay strong, sister!! :happy:
  • mizzymiz
    Options

But just think how GREAT that wine will taste when you haven't had an entire bottle the night before (I've done that SO many times in the past.......the next morning was no walk in the park....unless the park was filled with evil trees bopping you on the head!).

YES! We can do this. And it will taste better when I am not a 'wine user and abuser'...getting my kicks and not calling it back in the morning. Besides, I've never really been one for evil trees bopping me on the head. :smile:

Now, if only I could think of a reward for drinking less wine other than wine...hmm...maybe champagne? :wink:
  • Fab140
    Options

YES! We can do this. And it will taste better when I am not a 'wine user and abuser'...getting my kicks and not calling it back in the morning. Besides, I've never really been one for evil trees bopping me on the head. :smile:

Now, if only I could think of a reward for drinking less wine other than wine...hmm...maybe champagne? :wink:

How about a fabulous glass of wine at a nice resturant? If you have my budget, it would be one heck of a treat!! ($5 bottle of wine tends to be pretty ugh:sick: )
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options

I too am trying to just have drinks on the weekend, and also tried the 1 glass a night of wine, but it always ended up being 2 or 3. We'll see how it goes this weekend and then next week. We can do it if we really put our minds to it. Good luck everyone
  • mizzymiz
    Options

How about a fabulous glass of wine at a nice resturant? If you have my budget, it would be one heck of a treat!! ($5 bottle of wine tends to be pretty ugh:sick: )

HA! :laugh: That is so my life. If it's under $8 I'll buy it! The best is when you can get the 10% off buying 6 bottles! Talk about savings...and then with the 6 bottles you have wine for 2 weeks... :wink:

I like the nice glass of wine at a restaurant reward! I think I'll talk to my husband about throwing a nice dinner in there too.... good luck everyone!
  • kimford28
    Options
    Hopefully you won't get a bad headache. good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    maybe if we all posted how we are doing each day, it will help keep us accountable and more motivated to keep trying to limit our alcohol / coffee during the week. We would have the support from each other to stay on track and get healthy :smile:
  • mizzymiz
    Options
    maybe if we all posted how we are doing each day, it will help keep us accountable and more motivated to keep trying to limit our alcohol / coffee during the week. We would have the support from each other to stay on track and get healthy :smile:

I am down! That sounds like a great idea!

So far I am 2 days sober. : )

My two nights of drinking this week are Friday & Saturday and I am aiming for 2 glasses of wine each night. Whew. Wish me luck.

you?
  • Fab140
    Options

I am down! That sounds like a great idea!

So far I am 2 days sober. : )

My two nights of drinking this week are Friday & Saturday and I am aiming for 2 glasses of wine each night. Whew. Wish me luck.

you?

This sounds like a great idea!! And, it;ll give me more than just my cats to talk to this weekend! lol.

Tonight is my last naughty night. I'll post how things move along tomorrow. You think this thread or a new one?

Yay for us! Good luck!
  • Fab140
    Options
    Hopefully you won't get a bad headache. good luck!:flowerforyou:

Thank you Kim! :bigsmile: