tofu

Options
so i want to try tofu but im nervous about it lol. if that makes sense

what is some good "starter" tofu dishes without being too extreme...

Replies

• HotMomma86
    Options
    When I first tried tofu I went to Nasoya.com - they have coupons for their tofu as well as an entire recipe section. I first tried it with the Curry Tofu recipe, which I wouldn't recommend to begin with. That was my first and last time eating tofu lol. But they did have some quick recipes for wraps and such.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    You can try a tofu spinach soup. Ingredients are fresh spinach, beef, chicken or vegetable stock (I like beef and you can buy it low sodium), tofu, fresh mushrooms and onions.

Slightly sautee the mushrooms and onions before adding to the soup so they are not as firm. I usually just add them and eat them how they cook to preserve some of the flavor and nuturients from it.

This takes all of 20 mins to prepare, and can last a day or two if you eat the 1 cup suggested portion size. I usually finish the entire pot as it's only 45 calories per cup!

Hope this helps!
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Tofu can be good just be sure to get firm tofu then slice the tofu black in half length wise and press it to get the liquid out. Put down a kitchen towel on your counter, and put tofu on it, then put another towel on top. You can press it using your hands(just press down lightly at first) or put something heavy like a cookbook on top for 10 mins).

Recipes
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/puttanesca-tofu-scramble/
    italian style

http://www.theppk.com/2010/04/orange-ginger-baked-tofu/
    kinda like orange chicken from chinese food take out.
  • wildbio
    wildbio Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to saute it with some olive oil, onions and garlic and then add it to whatever you normally add chicken to. Let it brown and get a little crispy because that will improve the texture a little bit. I use the West Soy reduced fat tofu and really like it. You have to press the liquid out beforehand. Not all of it, just the majority. I do it with my hands until it comes out in drips.

Make sure you get either firm or extra firm (I like extra firm better). If you try to use silken in cooking, it will just turn to mush. Silken tofu you can add to smoothies instead of yogurt. Pretty sneaky and tasty way to up your protein intake.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can talk tofu! I use it all the time and have some great recipes at home to share. Unfortunately I don't have them with me right now.
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm new to tofu also! I've used the directions at the website below a couple of times to prepare baked tofu slices that I can add to stir fry, salad, or whatever else I want throughout the week. Basically you just slice it up, marinade it in low-sodium soy or whatever else you want, and then bake it on a cookie sheet. It's soooo easy and it turns out delicious. Plus it can be done much healthier than frying in oil:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/02/25/baked-tofu/

Enjoy :)