Gall Bladder Diet!

Options
Ok, I've just started having gall bladder issues, I would like to stop this by diet and avoid furthur problems. My doctor is vague and so is the info I've found online...basically low fat diet...Does anyone have any helpful tips of what I should be eating and what I should completely avoid? My most recent attack came after a meal of chicken wings so that's off the list :)

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from food high in fat and cholestral. Oh and anything fried isn't good either.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml

has a ton of information. i remember using this in school when i had to research a bit about gallbladder
  • mrsnorman
    Options
    i would advise that you ask to get it removed asap, before i had mine taken out i was in extreme pain after eating for a whole year, i ended up being on the strongest painkillers available on the nhs. at first eating low fat helped a little for all of about 3 weeks then nothing helped, sorry not much help on what to eat to keep the pain at bay, other people may be different but truly nothing worked for me.

add me if you need someone to talk to!
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Had my gall bladder out 24 years ago.....try staying away from dairy products or high acid foods such a tomato sauces...It is hard I was pregnant when mine started and by the end of my pregnancy it did not matter what food it was to set it off.
  • melodydenise
    Options
    Mine is starting 6 months post baby.
  • melodydenise
    Options
    i would advise that you ask to get it removed asap, before i had mine taken out i was in extreme pain after eating for a whole year, i ended up being on the strongest painkillers available on the nhs. at first eating low fat helped a little for all of about 3 weeks then nothing helped, sorry not much help on what to eat to keep the pain at bay, other people may be different but truly nothing worked for me.

This literally started in the last 2 weeks and I've had 3 attacks, each more severe than the last. The most recent one was what clued me in, I was vomiting up bile and for some reason it clicked that it had to be gall bladder..My stomach has also bloated to where I look 4 months pregnant.
  • kat13723
    kat13723 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of gallbladder problems your having. If its gallstones or if your gallbladder is malfunctioning. Gallstones you can avoid mostly with diet whereas a malfunctioning gallbladder you can't really do much about but remove it. To help avoid attacks you should avoid all fat, good and bad, and spicy food. The problem is fat is one of the macronutrients that makes you feel full so you will need to up your protein and fiber consumption. If you gallbladder is really becoming a problem though don't rule out surgery. I had mine removed last year and I am so glad I had mine taken out.
  • poshpunky
    poshpunky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had to wait 6 months on this diet until I could have my gall bladder removed!, mine was set of at the littlest thing so i set myself up to only have up to 12g fat in a day! Advoid any fat! its the skins of the chicken that will have set you off!!
    I found I could still eat sugar so things like marshmalows, candyfloss and meringues were great for my sweet tooth, I still lost 2 stone waiting for the op tho! I even brought bread with the lowest fat content! I think tescos own was 0.5 per slice
    rice, pasta, jackets, bread, chicken, Fish veg and fruit, yogurts are all good!
  • mrsnorman
    Options
    i would go back to the docs and see if they will book you in if you can/want, its amazing how something so small and simple can be so painful, it did unfortunately get worse each time for me to and i really wouldn't want you to suffer too, i found the VERY worst foods were;
    milk
    bread
    meats
    cheese
    butter
    veggies or fruit with a skin
    & chocolate

hope it lays off for you till its sorted x
  • kkrause2
    kkrause2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder removed a week ago (glad its gone!) Funny enough my biggest trigger wasn't fatty foods, it was caffeine, carbonated drinks and alcohol. Good luck!! I don't think there is any pain worse than gallbladder pain and I gave birth to 2 ten pound babies!! :)
  • kkrause2
    kkrause2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

This literally started in the last 2 weeks and I've had 3 attacks, each more severe than the last. The most recent one was what clued me in, I was vomiting up bile and for some reason it clicked that it had to be gall bladder..My stomach has also bloated to where I look 4 months pregnant.

I would ask your doctor to check your Liver and Pancreatic function to make sure you don't have more serious complications. It took me three visits to the ER until they finally caught on that I had a gallstone stuck in my common bile duct and pancreatitis as a result. :)
  • melodydenise
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I am going back to the dr on Monday. I don't think they took me seriously the first time I went in, and low and behold, the pain continues. I had been drinking soda thinking it was upset stomach and that made it much worse! I have now cut out sodas and caffeine as well as alcohol (I miss my wine though...). I am trying very hard to watch my diet. I am hoping it is not something too sever, but the pain I had the other day was just awful. I'd rather have it removed then experience that pain frequently. In the meantime I am going to stick to the lowfat diet and avoid irritants and hope that helps.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The gallbladder issues never go away until you get it removed. I lived with the attacks and passing stones for 5 years. It is the second worst pain I have ever had. Stay away from anything fried, meats that contain fat or oil of any kind. No spices! No peppers, radishes, or kale. Nothing but bland tasteless foods. Limit the dairy products (fat content), citrus fruits and tomato products (acid content). NO ALCOHOL!

The surgery to have it removed is quick and recovery is short. It can be done on an outpatient basis, and you are pretty much back to normal activities in a week. I could have gone back to work after 3 days, but my boss made me take a week. I have two 3/4 inch scars that you can barely see. One on my tummy in the middle just below the ribs and one in my belly button. Well worth the down time.
  • melodydenise
    Options
    The gallbladder issues never go away until you get it removed. I lived with the attacks and passing stones for 5 years. It is the second worst pain I have ever had. Stay away from anything fried, meats that contain fat or oil of any kind. No spices! No peppers, radishes, or kale. Nothing but bland tasteless foods. Limit the dairy products (fat content), citrus fruits and tomato products (acid content). NO ALCOHOL!

The surgery to have it removed is quick and recovery is short. It can be done on an outpatient basis, and you are pretty much back to normal activities in a week. I could have gone back to work after 3 days, but my boss made me take a week. I have two 3/4 inch scars that you can barely see. One on my tummy in the middle just below the ribs and one in my belly button. Well worth the down time.

Wow. I think I'd rather just have the surgery then eat bland foods. I live for spicy foods and wine. I wonder why this came on all of the sudden??
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I did a two day organic apple juice fast (to soften my gallstones) followed by this cleanse on day three and was able to stop my attacks.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/Are_You_Stoned.asp

I didn't put netting on the toilet or anything. Looking in the toilet and seeing all the stones was enough for this girl.

If you look online as far as what foods to avoid, the list is endless. I was already eating only plain rolls and still having attacks, so I chose the cleanse. It was VERY unpleasant, but it gave me my life back. I had to do the cleanse a few times over a few months (couldn't do the cleanses back-to-back as it was so unpleasant), but I can now enjoy all the foods I love (within reason) and not get ill.

GOOD LUCK!
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    triggers are different for different people... i had mine out 3 years ago after my first child. mine is set off if i eat eggs at a resaurant but i can eat them at home...confusing....anything that is real greasy... i was told its called "dumping syndome" that is after its out anyway. i had gallstones. i know of a woman that it actually burst. i would suggest having it taken out though. the pain with my gallbladder put me into labor!