Condiment-a-holic

Options
So I am a condiment-a-holic! I love ranch on everything! I never could eat a salad unless it was drowned in dressing. I love all of it. Today I had chicken breast for lunch. Pulled out the ranch (which would have put my nice 90 calorie lunch at like a million cals) and instead put it back and opted for a tiny amount of mustard which is 0 cals I know this might seem insignificant to everyone, but it's a huge step in the lifestyle change direction for me! :)

Replies

• jwheele
    jwheele Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I went to Red Robin (because my butt just isn't big enough already, ya' know?) with a friend for lunch today, and we had a wrap that already had dressing on it, but NO -- I had to order a side of BBQ sauce! I feel for you.:smile:
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Every step is important. Even the baby steps. Change one habit and soon you will change another. Its all positive. Good job!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Good job! I actually allowed myself ranch last night just for a little calorie boost. I usually put lemon or lime on my salads and chicken. :)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I'm in the same boat and it is definitely a NSV when you start making better condiment selections. :happy:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    i did the exact same thing today at lunch! great job!
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Whenever I goto Subway (now) I get no cheese and I only get mustard and vinegar on my sandwich.
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm a tartar sauce fiend myself. Sooooo good! But, luckily I also love mustard. And Heinz 57 sauce, which is only 20 calories per Tblsp, if I remember correctly. Good stuff!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That's great! I love condiments too :)
  • BFab24
    BFab24 Posts: 66
    Options
    Woohoo for better choices :)
  • jabbogurl
    Options
    I love to put spicy whatever on everything...cayenne pepper powder, hot sauce and if at a mexican restaurant I dump their hottest salsa they have on my food. I read somewhere that eating spicy foods actually increases your metabolism. Not sure if its true or not, I just love deadly spicy food!

Way to go on opting out of the ranch! There's a ton of other condiment you can try to switch it up, just walk down your grocery store ketchup aisle, look towards the top, that's where a lot of the speciality or strange ones are.
  • Toaster88
    Options
    Good job!

If you have a store around that sells Bolthouse dressings (their website will tell you where you can get it locally), they are yougurt based and only 35 cals a serving.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Those sub rolls at Subway have a crap ton of carbs. I go to Jimmy John's and order an "unwich". They can take any sandwich and wrap it in lettuce leaves. One sandwich has nearly 50 carbs and the ADA recommends that carbs be 120 and under a day. Sadly...I had to give up bread. I was so hard!!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I so understand your challenge. Lighthouse Ranch yogurt with Kefir is about 1/2 the cals so you still need to use it in moderation. It is way yummy. And I, too, am learning to not add condiments where it is not needed. It helps a ton and I miss it less and less.
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love mayo! but I have learned other stuff to put on sandwitches like hummus...mmmm yum! That is a huge change even though it sounds little good job!!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Not wanting to drown your stuff in Ranch dressing is great! Aiming for a 90 calorie "lunch" is terrible. At least add some veggies or brown rice or something. 90 calories is nowhere near enough. :sad:
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same. Now, I opt for salsa on salads to cut out the calories and the fat. If I make a wrap I try to add pickles or cumcumbers soaked in vinegar. These make the wrap not so dry and add juice to it. I used to put ranch on every wrap I made! I also have opted for mustard as oppose to salad dressing on sandwiches. Sometimes, I will spread advocado on a sandwich in place of the condiment and while it does have fat it is a healthy fat! If I am eating raw veggies I now dip them in hummus instead of ranch! Good luck!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    Oo that's so good, just make sure you do that all the time and it's not just a one time things. :P
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    great job. I have learned I like turkey sandwiches with just honey mustard. No Miracle Whip extras needed.

I agree on the 90 calories. If that was ALL you ate you need more for sure. But its a great way to cut out some. If you are eating lots of small meals maybe 90 calories is enough but holding back at lunch is going to make you feel more hungry at dinner?
  • BFab24
    BFab24 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions!

And I appreciate the concern about my 90 cal lunch. I had a lot of teeth work done in the last few days and my appetite isn't normal yet. I am eating small portions quite a bit throughout the day to try to get all the cals in I need. Normally I don't have this "not hungry" problem, usually it's the other way around ... I go over :-P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!