Treadmill

Options
What are your treadmill workouts?

Do you do high intensity for a short time?
Do you walk or run?
How long are you on the treadmill?
How many MPH?
Do you use incline?
Do you use your treadmill everyday or just a few days a week?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• thirks
    Options
    i like to:
    walk for 5 mins to warm up,
    then do about 10 mins fairly fast pace,
    then 10 mins at a lower pace but where i have a minute on incline/minute off incline,
    then a cool down for another 5 mins to a walking pace.

obviously this is open to variety. some days i just can't get going and other days i'm buzzing. I've just downloaded Ministry of Sound Running Trax 2 which is great to run to.
    :smile: :smile:
  • rdoyon
    Options
    Since there is still a foot of snow on the ground here in CT, I am on the treadmill atleast 3 days a week, now aiming for four.

I usually warm up on an incline of 1% at 3.5 for 5 min
    Then run/jog at 2% incline at a speed of 5.0-5.2 for 40-45 min
    Then do some hills at an incline of 10% at 3.0
    Then cool down for 5 min.

Otherdays I just run at an incline of 2% and speed of 4.8 for an hour.

So I guess it really depends on my mood. Hope that helps.

Happy running!
    Rachele
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I do various things. The standard thing I do is a 20 minute HIIT (plus 5 minute cool-down) 3 times a week, as soon as I wake up.
    Sometimes I run 5K or 10K just "for fun". I do those at 1% incline to counteract the fact that running on the treadmill is easier than outdoor running. And, what is probably my favorite, I use one of the "virtual reality" modes of my treadmill to simulate a trail run, with various hills and speed changes. The hills and speed changes make it more enjoyable and less boring in my opinion.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, NOT a runner. That being said, my workouts on my treadmill depend on my mood. I usually walk at 3.0 to 3.3 MPH for at least an hour. Sometimes I'll do more interval training...three minutes at 3 MPH, two minutes at 4 MPH, and alternate that for three miles or so. I also raise and lower the incline from time to time just to mix it up.

In the winter, I am on my treadmill from four or five times (or more) a week. I usually walk at my job before the school day begins and during my lunch break and get a couple of miles in then. I do have to watch that I don't develop shin splints on the treadmill, and if they start bothering me, I just back off for a few days.

I bought a treadmill about six months into my weight loss journey four years ago. Was able to purchase a nice one second-hand, and it was after I began using it that people began to notice that I was losing weight (I'd lost about 30 pounds at that time).

Kaye
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    our trainer suggested a workout on the treadmill as follows.

You set at a fairly good jogging speed 4.5 or 5.0...rest for 20 seconds...then you jump on and jog for 40 seconds...back off again for 20 seconds then jump back on for 40 seconds...keep going in that pattern.

I guess its good because it keeps your heart rate up and you burn more calories.

It is actually kind of fun too (fun in a weird way) It makes the time go by faster when you have to pay attention to the seconds.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    40-44 mins of HIIT/run mix I like to throw it in when I get bored so about a 1 mile straight run then into HIIT until I hit 4 miles all of it on a 2% incline.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    you can get some pretty good timed routines on walking.about.com
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    does the same apply to the elliptical as for incline and resistance, or no?
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I am a beginning runner/mostly walker. I love the Couch to 5K program and that is what I mostly do. It includes a warm up and cool down with run/walk intervals in between. I am enjoying it a lot and training for my 2nd 1/2 marathon. I hope to run/walk this one. I completely walked the first one.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been following the Couch to 5k (c25k) program on a treadmill.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I mix my tredmill workouts up so they don't get boring:

Some long steady runs (5 to 10km, 30 to 60 minutes)
    Some Sprint/Jog intervals (2 minute intervals - 20 to 30 minutes)
    A steady incline run (fixed incline for 10 to 20 minutes)
    A 'pyramid' incline interval run (2 minute intervals at steadyily increasing inclines with recovery jogs inbetween)