P90X and Supliments?

Options
I'm just getting into the crazy world of P90X and was wondering what the rest of you do for supplements? I know there is a lot of talk about it in the videos and material, but is that more of a sales push or something my body actually needs? I don't want to have to go out and spend more money if it is not really necessary. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• familyfit808
    Options
    I have been working out with P90X for almost a month and lost 10 pounds already. I haven't been taking any supplements, but I have been on Shakeology. If you're interested, I could give you more information on how all of it has helped me with my weight loss.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    They are unnecessary to do the program. A recovery drink of some kind would be beneficial. Theirs or the many others out there.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    They are unnecessary to do the program. A recovery drink of some kind would be beneficial. Theirs or the many others out there.

So are the "recovery drinks" similar to whey protein shakes? That's what I currently use after workouts with weights.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Recovery drinks are specially formulated with a carb to protein ration of 4:1

http://www.accelsport.com/product-info/EnduroxR4.html

Some have Bcomplex vitamins but I like those before a workout or after workouts when I still have a lot of my day left to get through(like after morning workouts.
  • dalbers
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss I see no merit in a recovery drink at all. Just have a good diet :)

If your goal is performance development, that is another matter. Carb/Protein drinks are proven beneficial for performance.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss I see no merit in a recovery drink at all. Just have a good diet :)

If your goal is performance development, that is another matter. Carb/Protein drinks are proven beneficial for performance.

P90X warrants a recovery drink for those depleting glycogen stores and having trouble with bonking. It's necessary for them to be able to come back the next day and still work hard. Even the basic high volume weight lifting of it can burn as much or more than cardio of the same duration. I'd push 800 many times for Legs and Back. It also let's you bounce right back and carry on with the rest of your day without feeling like total crap. As long as the calories are accounted for in their plan then the drink has no negative affect on weight loss. The opposite from a "not dogging it the next day" point of view.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advise! Too bad the Shakeology is so expensive :frown: