Muscle Milk/Protein drinks

Options
Have recently started walking and exercising 5-6 x a week. Also making healthier/wiser food choices. Want to start using a protein drink. Those of you that use one do you find it works best to use it before or after you exercise? Also have about 60-70 lbs to lose. Have lost 10 so far. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• pamcakes15
    Options
    We use Whey Cool - natural ingredients and tastes good too, Check out Designs for Health.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I just bought EAS AdvantEdge Carb control from walmart. They are 110 cals. 4g carb, and 17g protein (this is for the chocolate fudge flavor).

A LOT of the other protein shakes had at least 30 grams of carbs and 300 or more calories. That is why I chose this drink.

You drink protein shakes AFTER you workout. :) The protein helps to rebuild your muscles.
  • MariaHrndz
    Options
    Orgain. Best, EVER.
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Best times to consume is before and after along with a carb like a banana. for instance if I do a early morning am lift at 6am I'll have a banana with almond milk and a scoop of Protein powder blend it and drink it on the way to the gym. then when i come home its Powder with oatmeal apple and cinnamon with some almond milk.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump, i'm looking for the same info!
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Best times to consume is before and after along with a carb like a banana. for instance if I do a early morning am lift at 6am I'll have a banana with almond milk and a scoop of Protein powder blend it and drink it on the way to the gym. then when i come home its Powder with oatmeal apple and cinnamon with some almond milk.
    How do you like the almond milk and does it have alot of carbs? I can't do soy so this seems like a good alternative.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    bodyfortress they are low in sugar and cals.
  • teacher4380
    Options
    There are lots to choose from! My dietician does not suggest the "shots" of protein where it is in a test tube looking thing...yes it has lots of protein, but not the "best" is what she said. Everyone has a different taste....I was on only protein shakes (medical reasons) for 5 weeks straights and drank all whey based products...my favorite at the time were from GNC Whey (just about every flavor they had was good). Then, I lost all ability to even smell whey products...so now I use Spirutein (soy, pea, rice protein) and my favorite flavors are chai latte and blueberries n' cream....the trick is to shake it, then strain it! I also like the atkins advantage mocha cappucino (or something like that). I hope that helps...just try different ones. You should be able to get some individual trials for some of the brands before you have to buy a big quantity! Good luck!
  • sheaschierling
    Options
    Do you drink them before or after you exercise??
  • gargust
    Options
    *Definitely* drink protein after a workout. Some folks will consume a protein an hour or so before they exercise so the body already has some protein to work with when you start beating up your muscles - you could probably do without unless you are a body builder.
  • Triguy83
    Options
    How do you like the almond milk and does it have alot of carbs? I can't do soy so this seems like a good alternative.

Love almond milk! it has a nice creamy texture. I used to drink soy but converted to almond. I use the Unsweetened as the regular have 6g of sugar which is not bad just be aware. it has 1-2g of carbohydrates depending which brand you use. the silk almond unsweetened has 35 calories and almond breeze unsweetened vanilla has 40 calories.
  • Triguy83
    Options
    Have recently started walking and exercising 5-6 x a week. Also making healthier/wiser food choices. Want to start using a protein drink. Those of you that use one do you find it works best to use it before or after you exercise? Also have about 60-70 lbs to lose. Have lost 10 so far. Thanks in advance.
    here is an article from training peaks another website my coach has me use http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/protein-202.aspx