smoking

Options
Looking at joining a health club but it means giving up the smokes before I was planning, I guess I'm only 15kgs from my weight goal I have already lost 10kgs just didn't want to quit smoking before I got a bit closer to my goal weight. But I also want to work on my abs and biceps before I get too skinny I don't want to have excess skin.

the biggest reason i have been holding off quitting smoking, is that even says when they quit they gain weight.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    QUIT!!!!! You'll never be healthy while you smoke. Period. Quit. NOW!!!!!! If you do manage to gain a couple of pounds, they will come off that much quicker when you can breathe!!!!

QUIT!!!!! Today!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I workout almost daily and smoke 4-5 cigerattes a day.
  • l0_0l
    l0_0l Posts: 3
    Options
    balls-up... the amount of weight you gain after quitting smoking is negligible. if you're determined enough to clean up your outside, you should be just as determined to clean up your inside. ... If you're serious about quitting, email me at giml0ck[at]gmail.com and I'll send you something that'll change your life.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The only reason you gain weight when you quit smoking is because you tend to snack instead of smoking.
    If you are keeping track of your calorie intake, and choose healthy snacks, there is no reason for you to gain weight.
  • spacedragon32
    Options
    kinda figured that lol, thx, well so far i havegone 24hrs without a cigarette, so if i can do it for another 6 days i will join the gym :-)
  • kmarie01
    Options
    I quit smoking over a month ago, went from a pack of camel light 99's a day to nothing. And look at my weight loss tracker! in that month I lost twelve pounds. If your determined quitting smoking does not mean you have to gain weight. I definitely did not. It is a scary thing thought though, smoking your last cigarette but trust me its worth it. I save sooo much money and am not huddled out in the cold anymore to avoid smoking in my apartment. Plus due to the increased circulation my legs don't fall asleep every two seconds anymore. I could keep going and going but trust me it's hard but it's worth it.
  • spacedragon32
    Options
    by the way that pic i got in my profile is my motivation, i was 18yrs old, 65kgs and extremely fit, thats what i am aiming to get back to, or at least close to :-)
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    If you quit, and every time you want a smoke you can exercise.. that would negate the gaining weight!!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over a month ago, went from a pack of camel light 99's a day to nothing. And look at my weight loss tracker! in that month I lost twelve pounds. If your determined quitting smoking does not mean you have to gain weight. I definitely did not. It is a scary thing thought though, smoking your last cigarette but trust me its worth it. I save sooo much money and am not huddled out in the cold anymore to avoid smoking in my apartment. Plus due to the increased circulation my legs don't fall asleep every two seconds anymore. I could keep going and going but trust me it's hard but it's worth it.

Congratulations on that!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    QUIT NOW. My doctor told me that if he had to choose, he would rather me be a fattie (my word, lol) than a smoker. He said the negative effects are so much worse.
  • spacedragon32
    Options
    i did successfully quit about 9 years ago dont know why i took it up again, but i am determined to take my life back, gratz on your own success in quitting. guess time will tell in weeks time if i am still not smoking then i will be successful :-)
  • SeaShell33
    Options
    when I quit 6 years ago, I lost weight. I looked at it like I could breathe now and every time i really wanted one I did some sort of cardio to remind myself why i am quitting! Look at it as part of the new you, a healthy you.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking a year ago, and havent smoked since, and it was every bit as easy as he promised, it's a bloody miracle. It doesnt hurt, you dont gain weight, you dont get irritable etc he removes the fear and it really is fine.

I'd recommend his book to anyone who smokes. The man was a genius.
  • l0_0l
    l0_0l Posts: 3
    Options
    ^^^ this is the "thing" I promised would change your life... wherever Allen Carr's spirit is, I hope he can feel all the energy from people who's lives he's still saving with his book.

if anyone wants a copy of it in pdf form, just shoot me an email at the address I put up above.

most importantly.... PAY IT FORWARD!
  • 1986kira
    Options
    i didn't gain weight because i quit smoking the problem is your metabolism will slow so try not to replace smaking with snacking and try drinking a few glases of hot/warm water a day to keep your body going i dont know if it actualy works or is plasibo but hey it worked for me.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I went from about a pack a day to about 2 or 3 a week now. I have not gained any weight. I have continued to eat healthy and workout consistently. Good luck on your journey! It is hard but gum helps! LOL.
  • spacedragon32
    Options
    well today is my 6th day without cigarettes, and im going in this morning to join a state of the art health club/gym.

i canafford it because i am no longer spending $180 a fortnight on smokes, gym will cost me $50 a fortnight lol. plus a personal trainer for 3 days for $98 lol.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Quit that disgusting habit! You'll be so glad you did! :)
  • spacedragon32
    Options
    well im working on week free of being a non smoker :-)