Entering a 13k that's in October, need some answers!

Options
Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I are entering a 13k (a little over 8 miles I believe) that's in October. Right now, I'm in the process of losing over 100lbs. Yes, I know that's a lot of weight. I'm wondering if you guys think I will be able to get in shape by then in order to participate in this race. It's a run/walk race, so if I get too tired of running, I could walk. But I would really like to try and run by then.

Also, I'd appreciate any tips you guys have on training for a 10k! Thank you!

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    I started running in June 2010 at 275 pounds...
    I just finished my first half marathon!!

:) Check out my profile!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So great to hear you setting high goals, you are going to go far :-) Everyone progresses at a different level but the great thing is that running is accessible to almost everyone, it is an extremely basic human movement, but obviously it does take practice.

October is 7-8 months away, that is plenty of time to get started. Have you run before (in a race or in general), and what is your farthest run? For me, the hardest part is building up the mileage (and you also want to make sure you don't build it up too FAST and increase the risk of injury!)

I am currently training for a 10-miler at the end of March (so about a month away now), with my longest accomplished run sitting at 7 miles, but it didn't come easy (started back in Nov-Dec 2010), but what helped a MILLION is having a good training plan.

There are lots to choose from and I'm sure many people will have good suggestions - I used Hal Higdon (www.halhigdon.com, go to training programs on the left, and there are tons of options from 5k all the way up to marathon). I modified the plan to fit my schedule, and posted it in my room and now I am well on my way!

(Edit: It also helps to not worry about your speed, let your body tell you what feels comfortable. 8 miles is a long distance, so in order to sustain yourself, your pace should be quite slow. Just take it easy and one run at a time)

hope this helps you get started!! :)
  • okmum33
    Options
    I dont think you will have a problem running that distance, even if its a slower pace, you have plenty of time to get training in, how far can you run at the moment before you have to walk ? just increase that week by week, stick with you will get there, good luck
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    but what helped a MILLION is having a good training plan.

There are lots to choose from and I'm sure many people will have good suggestions - I used Hal Higdon (www.halhigdon.com, go to training programs on the left, and there are tons of options from 5k all the way up to marathon). I modified the plan to fit my schedule, and posted it in my room and now I am well on my way!

Hal Higdon's website is great to use - definitely tailor it though! I did the same and also post it in my bedroom. I used his plans for both of my marathons and my half!!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Absolutely! I have a buddy who started running to lose weight and did a half-marathon last December. He has lost about 100 pounds so far and is close to his goal for weight loss.

Just take it slow at first. New Balance website has a video and some good training ideas for beginners to slowly build up and avoid injuries.