So Frustrated

Options
How come my roommate who eats twice as much and works out half as hard as I do has lost nearly 4 (that's right, I said FOUR) times as much weight as I have? Granted, she's slightly bigger than me, but this still makes noooooooo sense to me.

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    She is probably eating the correct amount of calories her body needs. Remember if you don't eat enough calories your body slows down and won't burn as much. Take a look at how many calories your eating, maybe you'll find your answer there. If your eating below 1200 and working out your body may not be getting enough calories and will hold onto them instead of burning them.

It's a trial and error, try eating a little more in calories and see if your body starts burning more.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I can't see you diary, so it's hard to say off how exactly what you are currently doing affects you. You may be eating too little/working out too much. A lot of people do that here and they don't see the weight loss they hoped for.

If you aren't doing that, then it probably has a lot to do with her being heavier than you. When you have more fat, it's easier for you to lose it and lose more of it.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 3/4 times a week and always eat my goal plus most of my exercise cals. I don't mean the volume of what she eats is more, it is but it's also carb/calorie loaded crap.
  • alternativeauto
    Options
    Unfortunately that's sometimes how it goes. Everyone's bodies metabolizes the calories they intake differently. Some people can eat rice 3 times day and not gain an ounce, while others (aka myself) can eat a cup of prepared rice and have to run 4 miles to counteract the effects. Don't judge your own accomplishments by others, unless there's a cash wager involved. Just stick with it and appreciate every pound you shred. You obviously earn it more than some.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    her being bigger is a component for sure. it takes more calories for her to maintain a higher weight.
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can't see you diary, so it's hard to say off how exactly what you are currently doing affects you. You may be eating too little/working out too much. A lot of people do that here and they don't see the weight loss they hoped for.

If you aren't doing that, then it probably has a lot to do with her being heavier than you. When you have more fat, it's easier for you to lose it and lose more of it.

I am afraid this is happening to me. I don't work out so very much (like some people here) but am trying to move everyday to some degree. I have days when I am hungry all day long and other days when it is an effort to remember to eat something. I eat a little something every 2 or 3 hours. Even so, sometimes I don't quite hit my minimum calorie goal. Other days, I go over by a little (23 cal over one day) because I am just starving. Still, working out and eating right feels good, and my clothes are feeling better, but the scale is not showing me dramatic number changes like others seem to get.

I will try and make sure I hit at least the 1200 minimum calories every day and see if that makes a difference.

I hear you, though. It is frustrating to see others with these fantastic drops in weight as we inch our way down the scale. :) Keep up the good work, though -- don't get discouraged!
  • Hanzo44
    Hanzo44 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You may be plateauing with your work out, try switching it up, there are lots of info about breaking work out plateaus. Plus as everyone says it's easier to lose weight if you are bigger as it's more work to work out with more mass on your body. Worse comes to worse get a new roommate! haha.