why no poo?

Options
When I joined MFP and started my diet/exercise everything changed.

Before I would go everyday, all very regular.

Now I am sticking to my calorie goal and doing exercise it has changed from every day to every 3/4 and now 5 days!!!

Why?

I am eating healthy foods (not so different to before the diet, just less butter, cheese and sweets.
I am doing the 30 day shred so the exercise is intense, but not hours and hours of work.

I am now up to day 17 of my healthy eating plan and everything is fantastic, I am seeing results on the tape measure. Except for this one very troubling thing.... why???????

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    not enough water?????????
  • tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i drink loads of water
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    I started drinking one cup of coffee in the morning with cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of sugar and now i go everyday. plus i drink 8 to 9 cups of water a day. hope this helps!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Check fiber content of your food. If you're worried, try a fiber one supplement. They have the stick packets you add to your soft foods or non-carbonated beverages. They don't gel up and you can't taste them.
    Also, if all is normal in the diet, remember what my vet says for my dogs. Nothing in.. nothing out. So, if you have less in, you have less out. Also, if you are eating healthier foods, your body is absorbing more and there is less "waste". That was the biggest difference we saw when we switched our dogs foods. Same with people!
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you have to go, but cannot? If not then the issue probably is that you are using all the food that you are putting in your body. Lets remember that we are eating much less ( at least i am ) than i did before. If you put less in you should get less out. Especially if what you are putting in is good nutritional items that your body likes.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your fiber - make sure you're getting enough. Add it to the bottom of your food journal.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    you need lots of water and fiber, plus changing your diet all of a sudden can really mess things up, if you feel like you are getting constipated, try taking a stool softener but otherwise, lots of water and fiber!!!!!
  • elisabeth_varner
    Options
    Try adding a fiber supplement such as metamucil or something like that. I put a couple table spoons in my smoothie daily and it helps move things along.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I heard that a coffee can help to get the system going, and make it easier to go then if you're having trouble with it. Worth a try :)
    I'd also start monitoring you're fibre content, 25-30g is a good amount, MFP sets the levels really low.
  • tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody, Maybe its a combination of a few of those reasons. I am definitely 'using' more of my food and the less in less out thing.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, but the answer is always water and fiber. Most people don't get enough fiber. I personally have to go out of my way to make sure I get enough fiber.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've also read that a hot cup of water with lemon will get things moving in the morning. Haven't tried it but you can google it if interested. Good luck!
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    I only drink 6 cups of water a day, but I take a stool softener (senna version, docalax doesn't work for me) and drink a cup of coffee in the am and I'm very regular..almost to the minute! LOL
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I use to be the same way! I ate low fat everything, drank lot's of water and took extra fiber to help. Then I really looked at my diet, I ate so little fat that nothing was moving. So now I eat reduced-fat cheese, use more healthy fat (olive oil, avocado, etc) and don't worry as much about fat grams as long as the calories fit in my goal.

And, you guessed it....things have been moving right along!
  • clneary
    clneary Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    like everyone is saying water and fiber
    try the fiber one cereal i like the honey cluster also try a fiber plus bar.....
    that should help things going in the right direction.....
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Sometimes simply changing your diet can bound you up for a bit until your body gets used to it. If you've cut out some foods you are most likely replacing them with more veggies and fruits maybe? So you could just be getting more fiber than your body is used to and it will take a bit to adjust.
    Thats what happened to me anyways. It took a few weeks and everything went back to normal.

Also, I would add that as long as you aren't feeling constipated and in pain from not going, then you are most likely a-ok not pooing as much right now.
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody, Maybe its a combination of a few of those reasons. I am definitely 'using' more of my food and the less in less out thing.
    :blushing: Yep, I noticed that I was "using" my food as well. Less in means a LOT less out. I was alarmed at first, but not anymore. I'm still only "going" every 3 days or so, but I love the fact that my body is actually using the fuel I put in it rather than "spitting out" the junk I used to put in it. :blushing:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I was suffering from this for months. I have drastically changed from eating "whatever" to a very stict "clean" healthy food plan in the last year. Apparently sometimes when you "shock" your system like this it can come out in different ways.
    Everyone suggesting lots of water and fibre is good but make sure you get plenty of good fats as well (nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, avacado, flaxseed oil). I tried all of these things but nothing worked for me . . . I then started eliminating certain foods for 2 weeks at a time to see if something was bothering me.
    With my doctor's advice I finally came to the realization that I am now severely lactose intollerant. Since I have completely eliminated dairy I am back to "normal".
    I still only have a B.M. every 2nd day typically, but then Im eating much less than I used to and mostly nutritious foods!

Good luck!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    i had this problem. i started making sure to drink more water and started tracking my fiber. I got some fiber one cereal and some of their bars. One thing i would recommend would be to only eat half a serving at first. That is what I did. Let say it got things moving.
  • I bet you are dehydrated! One of the major causes of constipation. Try drinking more water since you are likely sweating more. Also try eating things high in fiber like leafy greens! There is also a setting where you can monitor your fiber intake. Set that up and monitor your intake see if it's at a health level. Maybe even have it on the high end until you regulate your system! Good luck!