peanut butter

Options
im confused. is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

a lot of you people on here seem to have it quite often - i absolutely love it. but in the UK its almost got this bad reputation.

im so confused, can i eat it? why can i / cant i eat it?
if so, how much? and any ideas of ways to eat it?

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I hate the stuff - yuk!
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    It's a good thing, it provides healthy fats. Try to get the natural no sugar/ no salt kind.
  • jenniferlhoffman
    Options
    Peanut Butter is fantastic, but only the real stuff. Don't do the reduced fat. Indulge once in a while and when you do, do it wisely. For example, one spoonful spread evenly over apple slices give you a healthy snack that packs some protein. I find that mixing protein and fiber keep me full longer. (This is a favorite breakfast of mine)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Just depends on which diet you're doin'...I have the Blue Menu No salt, no sugar peanut butter...It seems to be alright - but I don't eat much of it everyday - just after I do a workout sometimes...

I like to see what others will say :wink:
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Personally I only like peanut butter for Thai peanut sauce. I think the general idea is that it's pretty high in fat, but fat from nuts is better than some. So go ahead and eat it, but in moderation. Another thing is that other nut butters usually have more nutrients per calorie, for example almond butter. I love almonds, but to me the almond butter tastes more like peanut butter than almonds so I'd rather have plain almonds. However, it might be a good alternative for you if you have that available at the store.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of protein but high in calories. Two tablespoons is usually about 190 calories. I like to have it on toast or cut up apples and dip those in it. It's an easy food if you need to get more calories in for the day. I usually eat it maybe twice a week.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I only eat Adams peanut butter. Now you can get fresh in some stores where they grind up the peanuts - that would actually be the best kind (which I get on occassion). Any jarred or canned stuff adds loads of sodium and chemicals and isn't good. You want to get as natural as possible. I eat peanut butter almost every day, and always have. Even when I lost 100 pounds. It's an easy way to get good fats.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It is a good thing but it's very dense in calories and fat. So the problem arises that it's tempting to keep eating it and eating it and eating it :love: Keep it to a couple of tablespoons per day and it's great.

And I agree with the above, make sure the ingredients list consists of: "Peanuts", or possibly "Peanuts, Salt". Absolutely no need for any additional sugars or oils.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I personally like Jif Natural. There's only like, 6 ingredients in it, and I recognize them all. I put 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning, along with a banana. Yum!

I realize that some people shy away from it for its fat and calorie count. My philosophy is that on the grand list of all the foods in the world, you could do much, much worse! Plus, it's a full of protein!
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love it, but you have to monitor amounts. It is nutritious, as long as you get the organic, no sugar added cruddy stuff. I buy the natural or better yet, grind my own. It is calorie concentrated and high in fat so it is important to measure it and watch how much you eat. I usually put it on celery or eat on it's own to keep the "meal" a lower calorie/fat meal. Basically it is a 100 cal for a tablespoon. Use sparingly, but enjoy every bite:)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing, with good fat, but limit it. :) I'm having the best afternoon snack with peanut butter right now.

1/2 granny smith apple + 1 tbsp of peanut butter + 1 square of Lindt chili dark chocolate = 175 calories = bliss.
  • natfrolova
    Options
    Avoid roasted nuts. Choose nut butters (e.g., almond, walnut, cashew, or macadamia nut) made from raw (not roasted) organic nuts. Most peanut butters contain roasted peanuts, so read labels carefully. Natural Peanut Butter is a bit more difficult to obtain in its raw state. You can make your own Homemade Peanut Butter made from raw peanuts.
    Homemade Peanut Butter
    1 cup raw peanuts
    4 Tbsp water
    1-2 Tbsp of raw honey depending on taste (2 is very sweet)
    1 1/2 Tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
    Put all ingredients into your food processor and blend. It will become spreadable but not creamy.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    If you like it, try the Whole Earth brand (with no added sugar or salt.) You can find it at Tesco, and my husband and I both love it. I do think peanut butter is a good thing. It's got protein and it tastes good. Just watch your portions. I weigh mine.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    its a fat but a good fat. its also a protein. so its good. but like all things, in small quantities (& in moderation).
    im on a diabetic diet & im allowed up to 8 TBSP a day of peanut butter in exchange for meat.
    (2 TBSP of pb = 1 oz of meat,,, 6 TBSP of pb = 3 oz of meat)
  • Hoverlight
    Options
    I agree with menchi. Peanuts aren't as good a source of high-quality fats and nutrients as tree nuts - or seeds, for that matter. And yes, raw nut butter gives you more nutrients for your calories than toasted.

That said, sometimes I find it really hard to resist peanut butter and bananas on toast!
  • calicoco468
    Options
    I like peanut butter for a million reasons. It's a decent source of protein, good fats, and sugars without adding a lot of calories.

When I was pregnant, one of my favorite breakfasts was whole wheat toast with peanut butter and topped with pear slices. Just yesterday, I needed a quick, light lunch and remembered one of my mother's favorite treats, a banana topped with peanut butter. Slice an apple and dip it in peanut butter. Ants on a log is one of my kids favorite treats - celery or carrot smeared with peanut butter and topped with raisins. My kids love baby carrots dipped in peanut butter. Crackers in peanut butter is a satisfying snack. Vanilla wafer sandwiches filled with peanut butter is another treat that my kids and I love with a glass of milk. My dad suffers from low blood sugar and tries to keep peanut butter on hand. He'll dip out a spoonful and eat it straight when he feels himself getting shaky. My son loves fluffer nutters, that's peanut butter mixed with marshmallow fluff - you can put it on anything you eat peanut butter on.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I personally like Jif Natural. There's only like, 6 ingredients in it, and I recognize them all. I put 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning, along with a banana. Yum!

I realize that some people shy away from it for its fat and calorie count. My philosophy is that on the grand list of all the foods in the world, you could do much, much worse! Plus, it's a full of protein!

that sounds yummy! will try soon!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This and the related articles may help clear up your questions. Then you can make an informed decision whether you want to include it in your diet or not.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/274959-peanut-butter-to-lose-weight/
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I love it! It is fairly high in calories and fat but then with the small portion you'll probably have (unless you eat it straight from the jar!) I doubt it'd be much of a problem along with a balanced diet throughout the day.
    I usually just have a little bit with jam on some toast :)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    a favorite post-workout recovery drink (high protein):

1 Tbsp Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    8 oz skim milk
    approx 2/3 of a small FROZEN banana

toss everything into a blender until mixed (it takes a while for the bananas to mix in, but its worth it)

I routinely freeze partial "abandoned" bananas from my kids and ones that are a bit too ripe for eating... I just keep a baggie of them in the freezer and pop a bit out when i need it.

Like others have said, natural peanut butter, when used sparingly, can be a good source of protein and healthy fats in your diet. I absolutely LOVE peanut butter!