Waffles, Waffles, WAFFLES!

Options
Today we're honoring all things WAFFLES. But don't go celebrating without knowing all the facts. HG is here with the lowdown on these delicious b-fast treats...

At Home...

There are many waffle options out there that aren't too bad for you. Check it out...

Back to Basics - If you like 'em simple, grab a box of Kellogg's Special K Original Waffles. They have the standard waffle taste with 160 calories, 2.5g fat, 29g carbs, <1g fiber, and 5g protein per 2-waffle serving (POINTS® value 3*). That's only 80 calories per waffle, peeps.

Sweet Wheat - If you dig the whole wheat thing but still wanna keep calories and fat in check, Kellogg's Eggo Nutri-Grain Low Fat Whole Wheat Waffles (now that's a mouthful!) are the way to go. Two of these not-so-bad-boys give you 140 calories, 2.5g fat, 27g carbs, 3g fiber, and 4g protein (POINTS® value 2*).

Berry Good - If you're a little on the wild side and want berries in your breakfast, look no further than Kashi's GoLean Waffles in Blueberry or Strawberry Flax. Kashi knows how to pack in the good stuff -- they managed to get 6g fiber and 8g protein into two waffles and only allowed 160 - 170 calories, 3g fat, and 31 - 33g carbs to tag along (POINTS® value 3*). For another strawberry option, the folks at Special K make a Red Berries version of their slim little waffles with nearly the same stats as the original ones (just 2 extra grams of carbs per serving).

Waffles with the Works - If you're craving a decadent waffle dish, do NOT order out (see below if you don't believe us!). Instead, whip up HG's Woohoo Waffle Stack. So easy and soooo delicious!

Heads up, gluten-avoiders! Check out Van's line of Wheat Free Waffles. We've heard good things...

On the Open Road...

Thinking about doing waffles while dining out? Here's what you need to know!

Denny's Belgian Waffle Platter - This platter packs a wallop -- 619 calories, 45g fat, and 28g carbs (POINTS® value 16*). EEEKS! Although to be fair, more than half the fat and over a third of the calories are from the bacon and sausage this platter comes with. The waffles are sadly not offered à la carte.

Bob Evans Belgian Waffle - This has 598 calories, 12g fat, and 100g carbs (POINTS® value 12*)... and that's with nothing on top! Sigh. Oh, Bob. We know that you're trying to health it up with your "Fit from the Farm" menu( http://www.bobevans.com/website/homepage.nsf/pages/Fit+from+the+Farm+Breakfasts?OpenDocument ), but we need waffles! We'll skip this.

The IHOP Waffle - Hmmm... the folks at IHOP don't make their nutritionals public for the most part, but they do have something called the "IHOP For Me" menu -- everything on it has less than 15g carbs, 15g fat and/or 600 calories (and that's not saying much!). Well, their "light and crispy" Belgian Waffle did not make its way onto that list! The thing is rumored to have 390 calories, 19g fat, and 48g carbs (POINTS® value 9*) WITHOUT any gooey fruit or whipped topping. Run, or even hop, away quickly!

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Today we're honoring all things WAFFLES. But don't go celebrating without knowing all the facts. HG is here with the lowdown on these delicious b-fast treats...

At Home...

There are many waffle options out there that aren't too bad for you. Check it out...

Back to Basics - If you like 'em simple, grab a box of Kellogg's Special K Original Waffles. They have the standard waffle taste with 160 calories, 2.5g fat, 29g carbs, <1g fiber, and 5g protein per 2-waffle serving (POINTS® value 3*). That's only 80 calories per waffle, peeps.

Sweet Wheat - If you dig the whole wheat thing but still wanna keep calories and fat in check, Kellogg's Eggo Nutri-Grain Low Fat Whole Wheat Waffles (now that's a mouthful!) are the way to go. Two of these not-so-bad-boys give you 140 calories, 2.5g fat, 27g carbs, 3g fiber, and 4g protein (POINTS® value 2*).

Berry Good - If you're a little on the wild side and want berries in your breakfast, look no further than Kashi's GoLean Waffles in Blueberry or Strawberry Flax. Kashi knows how to pack in the good stuff -- they managed to get 6g fiber and 8g protein into two waffles and only allowed 160 - 170 calories, 3g fat, and 31 - 33g carbs to tag along (POINTS® value 3*). For another strawberry option, the folks at Special K make a Red Berries version of their slim little waffles with nearly the same stats as the original ones (just 2 extra grams of carbs per serving).

Waffles with the Works - If you're craving a decadent waffle dish, do NOT order out (see below if you don't believe us!). Instead, whip up HG's Woohoo Waffle Stack. So easy and soooo delicious!

Heads up, gluten-avoiders! Check out Van's line of Wheat Free Waffles. We've heard good things...

On the Open Road...

Thinking about doing waffles while dining out? Here's what you need to know!

Denny's Belgian Waffle Platter - This platter packs a wallop -- 619 calories, 45g fat, and 28g carbs (POINTS® value 16*). EEEKS! Although to be fair, more than half the fat and over a third of the calories are from the bacon and sausage this platter comes with. The waffles are sadly not offered à la carte.

Bob Evans Belgian Waffle - This has 598 calories, 12g fat, and 100g carbs (POINTS® value 12*)... and that's with nothing on top! Sigh. Oh, Bob. We know that you're trying to health it up with your "Fit from the Farm" menu( http://www.bobevans.com/website/homepage.nsf/pages/Fit+from+the+Farm+Breakfasts?OpenDocument ), but we need waffles! We'll skip this.

The IHOP Waffle - Hmmm... the folks at IHOP don't make their nutritionals public for the most part, but they do have something called the "IHOP For Me" menu -- everything on it has less than 15g carbs, 15g fat and/or 600 calories (and that's not saying much!). Well, their "light and crispy" Belgian Waffle did not make its way onto that list! The thing is rumored to have 390 calories, 19g fat, and 48g carbs (POINTS® value 9*) WITHOUT any gooey fruit or whipped topping. Run, or even hop, away quickly!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a Kellogs low-fat nutrigrain waffle girl myself!!! :wink: :laugh:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I love Special-K Red Berry Waffles!:drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I love Special-K Red Berry Waffles!:drinker:
    I am too!!!!
    Gotta love 'em!:bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    At home, we use the generic pancake mix, pop it into the waffle iron. 3x 4" pancake only equal something like 160 calories. Then we use sugar free syrup which has something like 35 calories in a 1/4 cup!! And of course, the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.

Now I'm a huge fan of waffles. We have them for dinner when I have a sweet tooth.
    It has taken some time to shift from full flavored syrup to sugar free.
    Last year we moved to "Lite" syrup. (100 cals in a 1/4 cup instead of 200 cals like regular syrup!:noway: )
    The switch to sugar free syrup from lite wasn't so bad. It's more watery, but still got a sweet taste to it, and for the calories I'm saving, WELL WORTH IT!
  • Canelitas
    Options
    lol, I didn't know ... I had a Cinnamon Waffle today :bigsmile:
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Van's gluten free cause I am allergic to alotta stuff.

I like the waffle but it doesnt really fill me up. It is good if I add a side of eggs though!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I love waffles! I get the cheap raspberry waffles at Wegmans, they're 70 calories each...and then sugar free syrup from Walmart (it's totally cheap!) and 35 calories for 1/4 cup but I don't use that much on two waffles. :laugh:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't, or can't, cook... here's how easy it is to...

Make 'em from scratch! My son loves the weekend because I make breakfast and he usually gets to pick. It's usually waffles and breakfast doesn't get much easier.

Plug in the waffle iron, spray the cooking surfaces with non-stick spray and close to pre-heat.

In a medium mixing-bowl, combine:
    1 cup self-rising flour
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

Add 1 cup fat free milk and mix thoroughly. Add more milk until you have a latex-paint consistency batter. It will thicken some upon standing.

By the time you finish mixing, the iron should be hot enough to cook. Spoon a large ladle of batter onto the center of the lower surface and close the iron. Let it cook until the volume of steam decreases to near zero for well-done waffles. Open it sooner if you like 'em soft. I like mine medium, my MIL likes them crunchy. If your waffle isn't filled out, use more batter next time. If it flows out the back or sides, use less. Spray after every waffle and ignore the light.

Slather them with mashed-up fresh fruit or lightly drizzle them with honey. If you must have syrup, use real maple syrup from New England and you won't need to use as much! Happy cooking everyone!
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    We use pancake mix for our waffles too, my favorite pancake mix is Aunt Jemima's whole grain pancake mix, it's amazing! We also use lite syrup and use it sparingly!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Kashi blueberry.

I combine 1/2 C blueberries and 1/4 C sugar free syrup in a small bowl and put it in the microwave for 45 seconds or so until it gets hot and the blueberries burst and pour it over the top.

Yummy!
  • hasselh
    Options
    For those of you who don't, or can't, cook... here's how easy it is to...

Make 'em from scratch! My son loves the weekend because I make breakfast and he usually gets to pick. It's usually waffles and breakfast doesn't get much easier.

Plug in the waffle iron, spray the cooking surfaces with non-stick spray and close to pre-heat.

In a medium mixing-bowl, combine:
    1 cup self-rising flour
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

Add 1 cup fat free milk and mix thoroughly. Add more milk until you have a latex-paint consistency batter. It will thicken some upon standing.

You can also slip in some oat/wheat bran or just use wheat flour....my girls don't know the difference. For an extra boost, I also sprinkle flax meal on it. If you freeze extras for the week, a spread of peanut butter is a fast bfast.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Waffles:love::love:

I :heart: The Orginal Pancake House. My favorite are the Dutch Baby with plenty of powered sugar and real butter. (no lemon).

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I just adore waffles! :heart: Why are they sooo bad for ya?:grumble: Oh... yeah... sumpn bout all that butter, and loads of syrup :noway: And while we're on the subject, lets not forget Waffle House! I was a cook awhile in university, and loved to have a waffle with my smashed, scattered, smothered (and whatever else) hashbrowns :drinker: