Under my Calories, But Eating too Much?

Options
Hi everyone :)

So I just wanted to ask a question about possibly eating too much even if I'm under my calories, if that makes any sense. The problem is, by dinner I have more calories than expected, so I try to eat as good a dinner as possible, and then of course dessert :). But I always feel so full, and end up having around 450 calories left! Should I keep eating, or if I feel full after dinner should I just have a piece of fruit and call it a night? Thanks for anyone's input, I'm kinda struggling here.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you planning ahead what you will eat for the day? I find that this really helps, then I can have a look at how many snacks I need during the day and can take some healthy options with me to work so I'm not tempted by junk from the corner store.
    It is probably better if you can spread the calories out through the day, so you aren't eating a big big dinner and feeling uncomfortable before you go to bed.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary - thanks for making that public. Really helps with these kinds of questions.

I'd propose that since you're burning so much in exercise and consuming 1500+ a day (I just looked at the last couple of days) you're fine. What you're worried about are exercise calories. If you're not hungry, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm going to look again - just didn't in as much detail... but initially, seriously, it looks like you're fine. :-)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know what you're doing for your workouts though!! :-) And yes, it looks like you're fine. If you get hungry in the middle of the night or at an odd snack time, you know you've got plenty of room to munch but if your hunger signals aren't activating, then I'd say listen to your body.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree (both with the fact that you're fine if you're not hungry (but could eat if you wanted to) and with wanting to know what you do for a workout :)). Maybe have one more snack earlier in the day if you're worried? A handful of nuts or something for a snack or with a meal would help boost it a little, and be super good for you. But if you aren't hungry/don't want to eat, don't. No need to make yourself feel sick just to get those last calories in
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options

I'd propose that since you're burning so much in exercise and consuming 1500+ a day (I just looked at the last couple of days) you're fine. What you're worried about are exercise calories. If you're not hungry, I wouldn't worry about it.

I guess that this is sort of a debatable topic. However, YOU REALLY NEED TO EAT THE CALORIES!!! Your net calories should equal your goal of calories per day. Your body burns all of these cals off and you have to replenish them if you want to keep your energy up. I actually have the same problem of consuming too few calories as well and I might not worry too much about being under by about 100 or so, but you should try to hit the mark as close as possible.
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    If you are really feeling super full, perhaps you are overestimating your workout calories?
  • SpencerR
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary but I've noticed a lot of people aren't eating snacks well enough. If u burn 400 calories a day in exercising plan your day around the extra 400. I've been way under my total after workouts lately and I'm not hungry so I DON'T try fill it at the end of the day. I don't eat or drink 2 hrs before bed unless I'm EXTREMELY thirsty. Just make sure your getting ATLEAST 1200 calories with your workouts a day if not your body will think your starving it and it will start storing the energy (fat) and your metabolism will slow making it harder to lose weight
  • juleslianne
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These comments actually really helped! Yeah, I think I'm going to try and spread my calories out better, maybe allowing myself more calories for my snacks or something. And its good to know that I don't have to go to bed feeling sickish! For my exercise, for those who wanted to know :happy: I really just walk a lot and do one major workout during the day, and I try to space it out. So I usually walk my dog in the morning for about ten minutes, to and from my school which is about 15 minutes each way, to and from my gym, which is also 15 minutes each way, and then my gym workout (45, 49 w/ cool down) on the machine that works your arms and legs usually burns about 600 calories or so! Thanks again for all the help everyone! I will be excited to see how my test drive goes tomorrow!