Dieting causing headaches?

Options
I am waking up with headaches and cannot seem to get rid of them throughout the day. I am still drinking coffee so no change in caffeine (stopped drinking soda almost 6 months ago). I am drinking 9 glasses of water a day. My only real changes are cutting calories and choosing healthier snacks. Also not eating out often if any, once I sat down and looked at our lives the past few months I realized we were eating out at least 3 times a week.

Am I not eating enough calories or is this my body reacting to changes? These headaches are making me miserable as well as my family as I am no fun with a headache.

Replies

• kArLiNaBlaCk
    kArLiNaBlaCk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yeah ive had a headache too..weird.:huh:
  • ami789
    ami789 Posts: 47
    Options
    How about your Carb consumption?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Taking a cursory look at your diary, it looks like that some days you aren't getting enough calories. I think you're underestimating how many calories you need additional if you're breastfeeding (The numbers I've heard is anywhere between 300-500 calories extra). Maybe making sure you're calories are higher an you are having enough carbs, protein, and fats will help.
  • arp1217
    arp1217 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have cut down on your sugar consumption as well, that could be causing your headaches as well
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My son is 18 months so only nurses a couple times a day. Thats why I only log 225 a day for breastfeeding. But that could still be it. Thanks for the idea
    Taking a cursory look at your diary, it looks like that some days you aren't getting enough calories. I think you're underestimating how many calories you need additional if you're breastfeeding (The numbers I've heard is anywhere between 300-500 calories extra). Maybe making sure you're calories are higher an you are having enough carbs, protein, and fats will help.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    How about your Carb consumption?

I would say my carbs are lower because I am not snacking on junk as much but not positive on that.
  • Shamrock40
    Options

I will echo this, as I looked at your diary for about a week. (Also nursed two babies myself.) A couple of days you didn't list the breastfeeding, so I'm assuming you still did it, but didn't compensate for the calories burned. Are you nursing several times a day or just in the morning and at night? I'm thinking you are probably not taking in enough calories, and even though you're meeting the 8 cups a day, you probably need to bump up your daily water and your milk intake, too. Maybe add a calcium supplement if you're not already. Try to eat more lean meats, whole grain pasta, and brown rice. Those are going to add to your calories, your carbs and to a lesser extent, your protein, and the milk will add to your fats.

I didn't notice, is there a way in your initial goals/settings to state that you are breastfeeding? That would give you a better calorie goal to start with.
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    i am having same prob
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you have cut down on your sugar consumption as well, that could be causing your headaches as well

I had headaches when I started MFP. For me I think it was the drastic reduction in sugar. I have quite a sweet tooth and cut way back on sweets when I started MFP. For me, the headaches subsided after a week or two.

Also, did you just recently start exercising? Any time I start exercising after not having been active for a while I get nasty headaches for the first couple of weeks.
  • sassylilmama
    Options
    I nurse morning, naptime and bedtime. I do take a calcium supplement. I am exercising again for the first time in awhile.
  • joanie775
    joanie775 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If i was you i would eat a little more calories your body is probley telling you something
  • Mamaheatherhg
    Options
    To be honest id talk to your family doctor on this because none of us are doctors and we can only assume. All points are valid but it also could be an underline for something else. Im not trying to scare you so dont freak out just talk to them and see what they say.