Losing Motivation need a Boost

Options
for the past week I have had the flu, and suffered a sever lower back strain. almost back from the flu, still have pain from the back strain, but I find myself unmotivated. My wife tried to talk me into going to the gym the other day, but I am still in a lot of pain from the strain, that I did not think it would be a good idea, but now I can feel myself starting to slip, i did some walking but did not eat well at all over the past week, what can I do to get my fire back?

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Even tho you arent well enough to go to the gym, DONT START SLIPPING on your diet... even if you just maintain your weight for a few weeks until you can get back to the gym, thats a whole lot better than gaining weight....

...get on line and look up some new low calorie recipes and start experimenting.. its fun, and it will keep you motivated to eat right, also pick up a good dieting book or read success stories on line or Dr. OZ has a great book! he tells you the medical side of dieting, and what it does to your organs. That will also keep you motivated. or atleast it would me!
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Are there any kinds of exercise you can do? Maybe swimming?? Maybe you can talk to your doctor or a trainer at the gym. Don't slip!!! Even if you just have to cruise along for a while, don't put it in reverse!!!
  • cingerl
    cingerl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I myself have not been feeling well this past week so have been slacking on my regular workouts. Instead I have been doing some power walking in my living room. If you have "On Demand" there's some walking exercise shows or just do it while watching some tv. Even you do it for 30 minutes that's about 2 miles and your burning some calories. It's better than nothing until you feel better and get back into your reg. routine. Good luck. Just remember what you have accomplished so far and how good it makes you feel.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You have already pointed out where you see yourself slipping. You need to have a serious chat with your self about why you want to be healthy etc. You need to get your butt back in gear and get back on the horse. Walking is good for a back strain. They say the more blood flow the faster the healing. Do what you can without re injuring it.

Get rid of the crap food. Get back at it.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    dont slip espicially on the diet. if the weather is good go for walks with the wifey exercise is great for every1 even if your not overweight. try looking at some b4 pics to try to get motivated that always helps me and o yeah another thing that i do is get on MFP and start reading some of these people and there stories help me out so much for motivation. just think how your back strain would feel if you gained more weight i bet it would be worse. i hope that this helps good luck and i hope you feel tons better soon
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    one more thing i do is pray about
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Think how far you have come- 17lbs lost - fantastic! Dont let the healthy food slip now. Its defiantely a good idea to wait til your back is totally recovered, but in the meantime you need to work on "protecting" the weight you have lost, you'll be back toyourself in no time, and you want to start on the exercise from a point where you left off - even if it means maintaining theweight lost so far.

!.. you can do this .. you know you can, because you have done so, up to now. GOOD LUCK !!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you can do it!! I know it is discouraging when you have an injury that gets int he way of workouts. Great diea to go for walks. I think you should take it easy for a few days doing mdoerate exercise such as walking or swimming and try to be extra careful about what you are eating.. don't give up now, look how far you've come :)
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just got over the flu and it was horrible!! I was in bed for a week....I felt the same way you felt with the exercise I didnt do anything for two weeks because whenever I would start I would be so tired! I was off on my eating too... :( I am back on track now but I had to think of foods that I loved while I was eating healthy and I started to crave those! as for the exercise I needed my husbands help and he started to walk with me to get me started again...it is all just baby steps but you can do it!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I know how you are feeling....I just got over having the flu & a cold that stuck w/me for about a month.
    It sure is hard to get back into the swing of things but you Can do it!!! :bigsmile:
    My suggestion is to take "Baby Steps" working your way back into your routine.
    Possibly start off with alittle walking & increase once you feel stronger :smile:
    You've done so well so far.....take one day at a time....do the best you can for that day.
    I hope you feel better soon and Good Luck.
  • Shar6819
    Shar6819 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't slip, we have been motivating me to keep going. Remember the reason why you got started, find something you can do that won't hurt your back. Just keep focused you can do it!!