Mashed Potatoes?

Options
Hi lovely myfitnesspal users!

I just got my wisdom teeth pulled today, and I am pretty much out of commission for a couple of days on goinjg to the gym, and eating healthy foods. A soft favourite is mashed potatoes, and I LOVE them to death, although I do not love the fat, calorie and carb intake that comes with them! does anyone have any alternatives to the traditional butter and milk ladel mashed potatoes, or any soft healthy alternatives for food that I could eat for a few days?

thanks! xx

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    use low fat chicken broth instead of the milk and butter.. still VERY tasty!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    make home make mashed sweet potatoes, buy low sodium soup, & sugar free jello & pudding :o)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make them with plain Greek yogurt instead of milk and butter.
  • Stacil2
    Options
    OK I hate cauliflower!! But mashed caulifower is actually really good. You have to boil the caulifower to death then to one bag of frozen cauliflower I add a tbsp or two of cream cheese and smart balance or whatever butter alternative you use. They dont go great with gravy but when I make a meat with a tomato sauce they go good with that. It very little calories at all!!
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    We eat mashed cauliflower, with butter spray, dash of salt, and pepper on it. They taste great, not 100% like potatoes but MUCH fewer carbs and calories. Sometimes my wife mixes in a little garlic, or will sprinkles in a dash or two of cheese flavored topping for popcorn.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the teeth! Ouch!! But mashed potatoes!! Instead of butter, I use fat free chicken broth. You can get it in low sodium, too. This is for 5 pounds of potatoes I make for my family: After I cook the potatoes and drain them of course, I add about a cup of broth and mix them up. I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of skim milk and whip them up. You can add fat free sour cream or fat free cream cheese instead of the milk if you want. When I make these for my family using 5 pounds of potatoes, they come out at about 150 calories a cup.
  • lvgraff
    Options
    If you mix 50/50 potato and cauliflower you can't even taste the difference.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help you but I'm one of about 4 people in the USA that can't stand mashed potatoes. What's weird is I love baked potatoes all mashed up. Try them with soft cooked carrots & salt...the sweet & salty gets me where I live.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I used make these all the time. Swanson's Skinny Mashed Potatoes. My family approves (and they're the tough ones to impress) http://www.campbellwellness.com/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=23866 Hope you feel better soon!
  • Mandakat17
    Options
    I always make mashed cauliflower. I buy the ready steam bags of cauliflower, steam it in the microwave...then put in in a blender, until it's the consistency of potatoes. I then put it in a casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese and spices and bake it in the oven until the cheese melts. It's delicious and a lot less calores then regular mashed potatoes.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with prior posters that chicken broth in mashed potatoes is good and so is a cauliflower/potato mix.

Also, do you like sweet potatoes? I have gotten to the point that I bake and eat plain or with a little cinnamon and they are healthy too!
  • demone00
    demone00 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always make mashed cauliflower. I buy the ready steam bags of cauliflower, steam it in the microwave...then put in in a blender, until it's the consistency of potatoes. I then put it in a casserole dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese and spices and bake it in the oven until the cheese melts. It's delicious and a lot less calores then regular mashed potatoes.

thanks! i am going to try this SOON
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Other healthy ideas are soups (homemade if you can do that, depends on how you feel I guess!), oatmeal, fruit juices (I usually eat fruit over drinking juice but this would be an exception!)...
  • umauma2011
    umauma2011 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    how about for a change jello or apple sause
  • bobbi55
    bobbi55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    make your mashed potatoes with evaporated skim milk & butter buds or molly mcbutter. When you put them in the water to cook put in 2 or three peeled garlic cloves they will cook and when you mash them they will be garlic mashed potatoes
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Or a novel idea for mashed potatoes.

Just plain ol' boiled potato mashed, straight up. Not adding anything to it, others can still add their butter / sour cream etc if they want / aren't on weight loss too but just plain ol' nothing added, it does work.

I have of course fallen in love with steaming my potatoes for mashing or potato salad or whatever, no big heavy pot of water to drain just the couple inches in the bottom of the pan providing the steam. Lots easier to handle.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone! I will try some of these ideas, I miss my normal healthy food and they told me no gym til the swelling stops! It sucks!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you just want quick, cheap, and easy, Betty Crocker makes instant mashed potatoes that are 80 calories per serving and are four servings per pouch. They come in small pouches near the rest of the instant potatoes and usually cost around a buck per pouch. They come in butter flavor, loaded, red potatoes, cheddar and one other flavor. If you follow the non-microwave preparation instructions they come out really creamy and don't have that normal grainy texture most instant potatoes do.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Add pumpkin to the mix :)

replace some of the potato with pumpkin and mash them together, sooo good.

hope your jaw isn't too sore!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You can also mix in steamed and mashed cauliflower to lower the calorie count per serving.

**************Just saw that was already posted! Oh well! BUMP