Hungry Late/What to do...what to eat?

Options
So I'm a night owl kinda I've changed my sleeping a little bit to go to bed earlier. My BIG problem is I have really weird sleeping hours because of waking up half the night and because of a sleep disorder so I usually sleep til after 1 most days. So I completely miss breakfast sometimes I eat lunch and I always eat dinner but come 10...11...12 or later at night I'm always hungry and good thing being I hardly ever want junk I always want real food. But for when I'm feeling the need to have a snack or junk as I call it I always turn to my 100 calorie snack packs. (Those things are amazing) My problem is so far I've had 2 100 calorie snack packs and the Not So McMuffin from the biggest loser cook book (if you've never tried it you have to its simply amazing and only 119 calories and you can add a slice of cheese to it) but problem being is I'm still hungry I have no idea what to eat this is driving me nuts. PLEASE help someone. I'm trying really hard to loose weight but I love food especially at this hour of the night.

Replies

• Larode
    Larode Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and go to bed! Get in bed with a book or whatever, then you can't eat...
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    I have the same issue with my sleeping hours. I love sugar free jello cups. Its only 10 calories and if you add 2tbsp of FAT free redi whip you only add 5 more calories... its yummy
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always have bananas or plumbs on hand.
  • spicyruse
    Options
    Anytime I start to feel hungry, I try to snack on raw veggies like carrots, celery, cucumbers, radishes. Yes, it does get boring and doesn't satisfy any real cravings, but they have very little calories in them and can help to fill you up.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    My heart goes out to you... although I don't have a sleep disorder... I go to bed at around 12 every night and I eat dinner at around 7 so I STARVE at night. I've heard if you drink skim milk before you go to bed - the protein will stay in your stomach and give your body something to metabolize during your sleep. Also I've tried it and it works pretty well. Have you tried adding fiber to your foods/drinks? I use Benefiber and it's pretty invisible in food/drinks. Best of luck to you b/c I can do perfectly ALL day but as soon as it gets late - I want to eat EVERYTHING in sight!:embarassed:
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Because my nightly hunger pangs are always for something sweet, I ALWAYS just get a teaspoon of peanut butter. Not all folks like it but my doctor says that it one of the best ways to stave off any further hunger issues and it's good in lower body fat.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Skim milk. Works miracles. Your belly will feel full and it will help lull you to sleep. :) AND.... goes great with 100 calorie packs (like the oreo ones!)
  • lilhottstuff88
    lilhottstuff88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like veggies and fruit but I like to dip my veggies in something
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    I only drink fat free milk and I have to be careful because I'm lactose.
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    and thank you everyone for the helpful hints I will just have to see about finding those sugar free jello cups
  • valkyriebird
    valkyriebird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on air popped popcorn topped with garlic salt, cajun seasoning or curry powder. One cup of air-popped popcorn is 31 cals, so you can have 3 cups for about a 100 calories. It is snacky, so it lasts a while, which delays the gratification. And the spicy flavor makes me feel more satisfied. You have to invest in an air popper, but it it totally worth it. I even sneak my own popcorn into movies. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    When I know I have had enough to eat, but I just WANT TO EAT, I have been known to resort to *cringe* *gulp*... chewing gum.

I do not like chewing gum. I have a kid who does, so we always have some in the house.

It gives my mouth something to do, for zero calories, and while it doesn't always work perfectly, it helps.

Another trick I use is to brush my teeth and use mouthwash, because You're Not Supposed To Eat for Thirty Minutes Afterward. Again, not flawless, but it helps.
  • lilhottstuff88
    Options
    Jen its not that I WANT TO EAT I just think its that I havent eaten enough through the day I think my meals just might be mixed up
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Aha.

Have you tried increasing protein and decreasing carbs -- especially sugar? I find that is the number one thing that helps me control hunger.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and go to bed! Get in bed with a book or whatever, then you can't eat...
    This is what I do when I'm starting to get hungry at nght. And the book I'm reading is Allen Carr's Easy Weight to lose Weight!

He stopped me from smoking a yr ago so hopefully this book will work too.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat a bag of tat 100 calorie popcorn almost every night. It fills up my tummy, but only a 100 calories. I factor it in to my calorie allowance so I don't go over. It really helps me. And now with all the different popcorn flavorings I can add, it keeps me from getting too bored with it.