aspartame sweetener...HELP

Options
I just started this aspartame sweetener,I been having belly pain and sick feeling as any one else feel this way after they have eaten this?I also have a after taste in my mouth.

Replies

• rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just started this aspartame sweetener,I been having belly pain and sick feeling as any one else feel this way after they have eaten this?I also have a after taste in my mouth.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is really, truly and actually a poison! It was first developed as a bug killer, if that tells you anything :noway: A lot of people are allergic to aspartame and it sounds like you are one of them. I'll spare everyone my #1 lecture on the evils of that gawd-awful crap (hearing sighs of relief) ~ I'll just tell you to do an online search about aspertame and draw your own conclusions.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi,

YES! This is a common "side effect" of aspartame. Many health publications recommend not using it, as side effects range from head aches, to stomach aches, to actually having weight loss hindered!

Some more well tolerated sweeteners are:
    - Honey
    - Raw Sugar
    - Splenda
    - Stevia
    - Agave nectar

Real sugar has only 16 calories per teaspoon. What worked for me was to (1) Cut down on my usage of any type of sweetener, and (2) Use honey when needed (and the occassional Splenda or real sugar).

Good luck and sorry to hear that you are not feeling well!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is one thing I found out that was contributing to my migraines. I gave up my beloved Diet Coke 2 years ago and try to avoid anything w/ aspartame in it. LOTS of side effects!

Jess
  • girldeese
    Options
    It also causes belly fat.....like in diet soda.....so please eat splenda instead!!:wink:
  • girldeese
    Options
    Aspartame is one thing I found out that was contributing to my migraines. I gave up my beloved Diet Coke 2 years ago and try to avoid anything w/ aspartame in it. LOTS of side effects!

Jess

I just gave up diet coke.....one of the loves of my life, a few weeks ago......but I actually haven't missed it and droped pounds quickly by stopping it!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I just gave up diet coke.....one of the loves of my life, a few weeks ago......but I actually haven't missed it and droped pounds quickly by stopping it!

Good for you! It was hard for me at first also, but now I don't miss it at all!!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that it can be linked to dementia and alzheimers...I try to stay away from it at all costs...but it's in so many things that you really have to look carefully at the ingredients...I've seen it in low fat yogurts and some other things I was surprised to see it in...
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are having problems with that but seriously stop immediately. It is really horrible stuff and I won't go into the details of my families experience but please find an alternative such as agave nectar, stevia or maple syrup or just plain sugar when you have to. It is not good stuff to be putting in your body and splenda is not better.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bah me!!! I went to a picnic for school today (Fun!) and there was a tub of soda. I didn't really look at what I was grabbing but came out with a coke zero. I didnt look at the ingredients like I should have (aspartame:devil: ) but after about half the can I felt like I was going narf all over. It was nasty. Aspartame is really bad for you, but its in like every "diet" food on the planet, since it has 0 calories. beware...
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's actually pretty nasty suff. Try switching to Splenda, or some other sweetner.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

Good for you! It was hard for me at first also, but now I don't miss it at all!!

I am really sensitive to aspertame as well. Did you know that Coke actually makes Diet Coke with Splenda? It tastes just as good, if not better, to me.

There are usually just a few cases of it at my grocery store next to the hundreds of cases of the aspertame diet coke. :smile:
  • Nena
    Nena Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok first of all Don't use anything I mean Anything with it aspartame in it that includes splenda. I can tell you this You don't even have the bad side effects. The ingredeints in that is just basically Bleach.
    some of the side effects are really seirous. This is my major rant and I was really excited when I found out that the people that make Splenda are going to court because of false advertisements and consumers are getting really sick.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Diet Rite is made with splenda, I just found out!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all Don't use anything I mean Anything with it aspartame in it that includes splenda. I can tell you this You don't even have the bad side effects. The ingredeints in that is just basically Bleach.
    some of the side effects are really seirous. This is my major rant and I was really excited when I found out that the people that make Splenda are going to court because of false advertisements and consumers are getting really sick.

I also heard that Splenda experiments on Beagles...not sure how valid that is
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and has zero calories. The FDA won't approve it because it is the most logical choice, but you can find it as a "nutritional supplement" in the vitamin section.
  • seebee
    Options
    You can also find stevia plants in the spring at nurseries, etc. where they sell herbs. Or maybe the seeds online through a seed catalog. I grew one this summer and the leaves really are sweet, like sugar, but no calories. It is not a hard plant to grow. I am going to pick the leaves soon, dry them, and put them in a jar for sweetening tea this winter.