Eating Late?

Options
I have always wondered... How bad is it to eat late at night? I always am under my calorie goal.. so is it bad for me to snack at 10 pm? I usually get home from gym at 9pm and then I always wanna eat something around 10pm :ohwell: And i ALWAYS stay up super late.. Like till 2 am! :yawn: What does everyone think?

Replies

• brittanybark
    Options
    As long as there are a few hours (3-4) before you go to sleep its fine! Drink water after you eat. Yeah thats fine, it only get bad when your eating right before you go to bed or if you wake up for midnight snack and go back to sleep.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Most concerns about eating late are that your metabolism is slowing down for the day, but if you just worked out, and aren't sleeping right after, it's all good! The general rule is to stop eating 2 hours before bed.
  • AbbyRedwine
    Options
    Even if I'm just laying in bed like watching TV or on the computer awake after I eat it's okay? I always feel hungriest at nighttime I dunno why!:explode:

Thanks for the advice!!
  • brittanybark
    Options
    Yup thats fine..give it a few hours before you sleep and it wont bother you... I wouldnt suggest eating a heavy meal but I mean if its a decent small meal your completely fine!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I call baloney. I very regularly take my last food in 10-30 minutes before hitting my bed and I'm losing weight. The whole not eating before bedtime thing is an old myth that refuses to die.
  • AbbyRedwine
    Options
    Okay GOOD! :bigsmile: I don't want all my hard work going down the drain!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Actually the idea that eating late is hurting weight-loss is one huge gigantic myth!!!
    Personally I eat about 75% of my daily calories after 5pm and I eat right up to the time I go to bed.

Honestly the logic behind this myth baffles me. It's not like our metabolism just shuts down at night, our body is rebuilding muscle, and our brain is actually at it's most active while we sleep. (our brain alone needs 100 grams of glucose daily)
    Our metabolism is running 24 hours a day, sure it's running at a higher rate when we are active but it's not dead. Don't forget you will be fasting for the 7-8 hours you sleep, so if you stop eating for 2-3 hours before you go to bed you are looking at 10 hours without food at a very crucial time for your brain and muscles. This causes stress, cortisol increase, and catabolism for your muscles.

I eat mainly protein calories before 5pm, because protein really ignites our metabolism, and by avoiding carbs my body is forced to burn my storage energy, fat and glycogen, all day long.

Then at night when I eat the majority of my carbs I re-store some glycogen too for my workout the following day.

From my experience this way has caused the highest levels of fat-burning. You should never go to bed hungry, unless you want to stress out your system. Plus it's great eating a regular family dinner, and snacking while watching tv before bed.
  • kimmisatch
    Options
    apparently there is research that states that it makes no difference what time you eat - so eating late is fine :drinker:
  • britt_fit
    Options
    He's right! I'm going to school to become a dietitian and I asked on of my professors about it (who's a registered dietitian) and she said it's a myth. It was probably started as a way to keep people who are late night snackers who can't seem to stop mindlessly snacking. Your metabolism does not slow down significantly enough to affect your weight loss. Eat whenever you want during the day, as long as you don't go over your calorie goal! I mean, think about the people in Europe. In Spain they eat dinner around 9 pm and they're all so thin :smile:
  • mtngoddess
    mtngoddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's no hard and fast rule on this. It comes down to what works for you. I tend to eat mostly protein during the day and my carbs at night. I work out in the morning and have found that this is what works best for me. If I don't have my carbs during the evening, I run out of steam partway through my workout and have to really push to get through it. That said, I try to stick to healthy carbs at night (tonight's snack was a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crisps with almond milk). Sugary snacks before bedtime make me wired, and I end up not getting to bed.
  • AbbyRedwine
    Options
    Gosh thanks guys! You all have the BEST advice! & making me very happy knowing I can eat before bed! yay! :drinker:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a myth. I don't need to repeat what excellent posts have already stated, but a calorie is a calorie, no matter the time of day. It's cumulative, just like cardio. I work out at night [between 11PM and 1AM], I have a recovery snack [somewhat proportional to the amount of calories I've burned], take a shower and then go to sleep. I've lost *checks ticker* 128 pounds so far. That doesn't mean my metabolism is lower at night. The myth of "eating right before you sleep/eating after [insert time] will actually make you gain weight," is pure bullsh*t.

If it's working for you, effin' do it.

Edit: Had to call the grammar sheriff on myself.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youre hungry at night, then you need food.
    I eat my main meal fairly late, and its never a problem.
    If i eat it earlier, i always need to snack again later anyway
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A doctor in a Top Sante magazine (March 2011) says "its' your total calorie intake over the 24 hour period, balanced by what you burn off each day that counts". He says there is no evidence to support eating late is bad for you.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I often eat late and regularly have a snack around 10. It's not stopped my wieght loss. I just can't go to sleep with my tummy rumbling and if i don't have something that is what will happen.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it is a myth and I am on my feet all day at work with very little time to *eat* so about 2/3 of my cals are after 6pm and recently i have lost 12 lbs !
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Totally fine to eat late. Eating times vary hugely across cultures. I live in Spain and people don't have dinner until 10pm (admittedly dinner is small and lunch is the main meal of the day).
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The reason why it doesn't matter is glycogen. If you were to overeat at anytime of the day while dieting, your body converts excess glucose to glycogen first before it stores body fat.

Gylcogen is short-term energy storage and fat is long-term. Glycogen is the higher priority and acts as a "buffer" before fat is stored.
    This is why I can have Spike Day's, overeat, and still lose 2 lbs a week.

Glycogen is basically muscle energy, and the glycogen in our liver can release glucose to balance our blood sugar. So glycogen is a very good thing.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I eat late and so far it hasn't hampered my weight loss either. My schedule just doesn't allow me to eat at a normal time. I have 3 kids that are all very active in sports and we don't get home until after 7:30 most nights. Dinner can be as late as 9 at my house.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I asked this question myself a few months ago! Turns out it's true! Total myth! There's nothing magical about 24 hours. Your body uses calories over weeks and months! You don't gain or lose weight in a day! You lose it over time! Otherwise we'd all just eat no calories for 2 days, and drop some lbs!

Here's the link to the thread, there's some interesting links on there! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/127257-too-few-calories-late-night-dilemma