Sea Kelp- Has it helped speed up your metabolism??

Options
Hi all,

Someone suggest taking sea kelp as I want to improve the condition of my skin.. I was told it also helps speed up your metabolism. Is this true?? Has it worked for any of you guys?

Thanks. x x x x

Replies

• rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Kelp is the natural form of the pharmacutical grade of thyroid medications. Your thyroid is what controls your metabolism. If you have a low active thyroid this will help to balance it out. Hope this helps.
  • mummytummy11
    Options
    Hi, I had done some research on that myself as I'd heard the same as you. This is an extract of the info I found on Wikipedia about Sea Kelp; ''In 2010 a group of researchers in the University of Newcastle found that a fibrous material called alginate in sea kelp was better at preventing fat absorption than most over-the-counter slimming treatments in laboratory trials. As a food additive it may be used to reduce fat absorption and thus obesity''
    Hope this helps x
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid condition. Has anyone used a product you can recommend? this is the fist time I am hearing anything about Sea Kelp being so helpful for this!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I'm not sure about the benefits, but I hate the taste! Probably because what I had tasted just like algae and remind me of eating a state record bass we accidentally ate on our honeymoon. (the older/bigger they are, the worse they taste) :blushing:
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no medical or scientific factual basis for sea kelp. The studies that have been quoted from Newcastle University are part of a three year study in to the effects of a fibre found in kelp and to date have only been tested on artificial stomachs - NOT human digestive tracts. All certified nutritionists warn against taking kelp as there is no research in to the long term effects of taking it.

If you already have salt in your diet (which you should do) then you will be getting adequate levels of sodium and iodine - taking in additional levels will have no benefit at all unless your doctor has diagnosed you with iodine deficiency thyroid problems - in which case you'd be on meds already.

The reason supplements are called that is because they are meant to supplement a deficient diet - if you're eating a sensible amount (your BMR x activity amount as prescribed by the Harris-Benedict formula) and it is a balanced diet made up of a range of foods then you will be easily getting your RDA of all vitamins and minerals and don't need to waste money on supplements.
  • mrs_km
    mrs_km Posts: 46
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no medical or scientific factual basis for sea kelp. The studies that have been quoted from Newcastle University are part of a three year study in to the effects of a fibre found in kelp and to date have only been tested on artificial stomachs - NOT human digestive tracts. All certified nutritionists warn against taking kelp as there is no research in to the long term effects of taking it.

If you already have salt in your diet (which you should do) then you will be getting adequate levels of sodium and iodine - taking in additional levels will have no benefit at all unless your doctor has diagnosed you with iodine deficiency thyroid problems - in which case you'd be on meds already.

The reason supplements are called that is because they are meant to supplement a deficient diet - if you're eating a sensible amount (your BMR x activity amount as prescribed by the Harris-Benedict formula) and it is a balanced diet made up of a range of foods then you will be easily getting your RDA of all vitamins and minerals and don't need to waste money on supplements.

Thank you. That does make a lot of sense. I do feel as though I need a boost of some sort and heard Sea Kelp helps. But think I may possibly give it a miss. x x x
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I had an unhealthy mind to do with food, I used to take 1-2 tablets a day, and I was slimmer then... but I was also religiously taking water tablets and starving lol, so I'm not sure if they actually did anything.

I take 1 a day currently (you can take up to 3), just more as a mental thing I guess. I also take a multivitamin every day as my diet isn't quite there at the moment and it gives me extra iron as I'm anaemic.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    WhiteStar2351 - Thanks a lot for the info. Especially if you are considering adding something to your diet:-)