Losing weight with little or no exercise?

Options
Just curious if anyone is losing weight with little or no exercise?

Replies

• lelegrev
    Options
    I had lost almost 15 pounds from limiting my soda and sweets intake. I stopped buying soda and sweets for the house and would only have a soda if we went out to eat and only had a sweet once in a while.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up so you can, the only issue is you will lose muscle if you don't workout, and you once you get to your goal weight you would be skinny fat (this with a high BF%)
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    When i first started MFP i was not exercising at all due to a busy busy schedule. however, i had a job that required me to be on my feet for 8 hrs/day. I only started exercising a month ago and I've lost maybe 4 lbs since exercising. (I've lost 33 lbs to date). Losing weight is MOSTLY diet and a little exercise. I'm living proof!
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs without exercise the first 3 wks. I had 70 lbs to loose. But after the fist 3 wks i stopped loosing for 2 wks. SO i switched to a low calorie diet and joined this. And started exercising jsut 20 mins a day to start- but now I try and do an hour- maybe not all at once but a total of 60 mins a day. Ive lost 17.6 lbs total.
  • raqueltabor
    Options
    You can, but exercise helps, even walking and stuff adds up! You can do a lot by cutting out soda and sugar and flour-based stuff like pasta and just eating lots of veggies and fruit and no sauces on meats. :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I did not exercise until I lost my first 40---but I was just so heavy and had no desire---but after 40 pounds came off, my body was screaming to exercise - imagine that!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight on diet alone, but as erickirb said, you need to keep those muscles active through exercise, otherwise they will deteriorate and a lot of weight lost will come from that.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have.
    I started in at the very ending of Oct and from Oct until now I have lost 26 pounds.
    I changed my diet drastically and started eating smaller portions and much more healthy. I don't eat any junk food.
    What I do do is some basic strength training, mainly 'girl' push ups and some ab work--but very little.
    I am home with two kids so I'm also "active" with them. But for the most part I consider myself sedentary.

ETA: And besides my abs--I've had two c-sections one slightly less than a year ago, I do not look skinny flabby. My arms actually look fantastic. So even just a little here and a little there helps.
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    I've lost 18lbs since the beginning of January with no formal exercise - I have just increased the amount of walking I do, using the stairs and not the lift, walking to the next bus stop along and getting off one stop earlier, using the ladies room 2 flights up from my office - I work 12 hour shifts and just don't have time to fit in 30 - 60 minutes of structured exercise.
  • Fragula
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight initially with no exercise. About 20-30 pounds, but that's because my eating was ridiculously out of control. I cut out soda, junk food, and fast food, in addition to logging my food every day. If your problem was like mine, and you're overweight because you're taking in a ton of extra calories, just eating right for a while should help.

A word to the wise though, I have a lot of extra skin around my belly, and I wonder if I had been exercising all along if it wouldn't be a little more firmed up.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up so you can, the only issue is you will lose muscle if you don't workout, and you once you get to your goal weight you would be skinny fat (this with a high BF%)

Yup! You will become Skinny Flabby - and it doesn't look good. My beachbody coach tells me all the time...You need to eat right & execise to have real results...Skinny Flabby is not a nice look...!
  • meg811
    meg811 Posts: 49
    Options
    My mom has lost 25 doing weight watchers and has not exercised at all. Of course, that's not the "healthy" way to do it, but so far that has worked for her. I'm sure she'll eventually plateau and not lose anymore if she doesn't exercise at all, but with her it has to be baby steps...

AND to put it in perspective... I have lost more weight in less time because I do exercise.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I lost my first 20lbs without exercising. I needed to change my mind set about food before I did another change about exercise. Eventually though you NEED to exercise to continue losing AND be healthy.

Also remember that 165lbs toned always looks better than 155lbs flabby. It's not JUST about the number on the scale.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It is, but unless you get down very low, you likely won't be as satisfied with the results as regular exercise. Your arms, legs and mid-section will still be flabby instead of toned and lean. I tried it and lost a bit, but wasn't happy because my legs were fat and I'd still get winded walking up stairs even though I was barely overweight (per my BMI).

With exercise, now I'm much leaner, I've lost around my waist and hips and even my arms (which were really fat!) and my legs look like they could crack walnuts (and my butt is awesome! :smile: )
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So far I havent been exercising, and have lost 11lbs in the last 3-4 weeks. I have ordered Wii My Fitness Coach and I want to work out at home.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison,

I'm not playing the importance of exercise down, nor am I encouraging anyone to shun it, this is just my personal story: due to physical problems and budgetary restraints I don't / can't exercise. I have a desk job and so consider myself sedentary. I walk approx 20 minutes 3 - 4 days a week and on weekends I do household chores that can add up to a lot of time on my feet and energy expended. I do not usually log these activities as exercise. The only time I log exercise is if I do strenuous activity like mowing my very large lawn or an actual workout.

I lost 40 lbs. last year (from approx 230 lbs down to approx 190 lbs). That's only .77 lbs/wk. So, I tell people you can lose without exercise but its certainly at a slower rate. I hope to lose another 40 this year and can hopefully start to tolerate exercise (maybe after that total knee replacement I'm told I need).

I eat VERY well. I make all my own food, eat almost zero processed foods, watch my sodium and count my calories. I LOVE the food I eat and do not feel deprived. I believe in the slogan that you have to eat to lose weight. I also believe quite strongly that if you are restricting the number of calories you consume in a day, those calories will serve you best if they are as dense in nutritional value as possible. That's why I cut out the processed foods, the sugar, the refined carbs such as white bread, white rice and white pasta and anything else that doesn't add up to "real food" in my opinion.

hope this makes sense, good luck!
    JoJo
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • foolismcgee
    Options
    i haven't been exercising. i wish i wanted to. i bought the biggest loser for the xbox kinect and planned on doing it while my 6 month old napped but have made excuses thus far. i do plan to start exercising at some point because i don't want to be a saggy mess when i get to my goal weight, but for now i've lost nearly 20 pounds without it in 2 months.