Exercise Induced Asthma?

Options
00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
I've been wondering the last week or so if I have exercise induced asthma. My little sister does and uses an inhaler before working out. Lately, I've been having trouble running for more than 5 minutes (I'm not a skilled runner, but I could go for 20-25 minutes at a slow pace), but I really had trouble with breathing. Then I was on the Summit Climber and Stairmaster twice this week and I my chest was feeling a bit tight and I actually stopped one of my workouts a bit early because of the breathing.

So, I know MFP isn't doctors, but for those of you who have exercise induced asthma, does this sound like symptoms you get? Would it be worth seeing a doctor about the issue. I really don't want breathing problems holding me back from pushing myself in my workouts, but now it's just really difficult to sustain the intensity level I want if I can't breathe. Thanks!

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Seeing a doctor is a good idea. There could be other reasons for your condition.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sounds like EIA to me ( i have this, so does my sister )
    It's worth seeing a doctor & seeing if you need an inhaler.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My asthma has just about disappeared as my lungs got in better shape. I wouldn't expect you to suddenly develop it now, if you haven't had it before, especially after a year of exercising. Get it checked if it continues, but it might just be the start of a chest cold or something like that.

(Put that on your wall but decided to post here too):smile:
  • Meggers1022
    Meggers1022 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have EIA and I experience those sympotms, as well. Looks like you should go see a doctor. Good luck! :)
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this, especially in the dry air. Cold dry air is even worse. However, the harder I push myself, the quicker my recovery time unless it's really cold out. I run, and mostly outside all winter in Minnesota of all places, but the tightness is a sure sign. I do use an inhaler if the humidty is low and it's below 60 degrees. I get really lightheaded if I try to push through it.

Be careful, know your body, and see your doc and get an inhaler for pre-workout. It makes a big difference. If the air is too dry though, you'll still struggle. At least I do.
  • rollos_solo
    Options
    I would see a doctor. Personally when my EIA acted up, before I got my inhaler, I would get coughing fits and physically couldn't push myself any harder because breathing had become so difficult. You should go get checked out, it's better to be safe than sorry if you do have EIA.
  • jackie1473
    Options
    My daughter has it, best thing to do is to go to the doctor and get a pulmony function test!, Good luck!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have EIA as well...get checked out, good luck!!
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Generally I would agree that EIA wouldn't be something you develop later but it does sound suspiciously like what occasionally happens to me. I have mild EIA and don't use an inhaler for it. I did when I was younger and in track and I may again once I start training for my 5k (I am just not a great runner LOL), but right now my lungs, thankfully, are in good enough shape to handle my workouts. I agree that you should see a doc to be sure. You don't want to self medicate the wrong thing. That would do more harm than good.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For sure see your doctor about this. My daughter has EIA and AIA (allergy induced asthma). Spring time is terrible for her. She plays soccer so she takes a few puffs off her inhaler before practice and games and she is fine. She has played soccer all of her life and this just was diagnosed 6 months ago. She is 20. So it can happen at any age and does have a tendency to run in families.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you should see your doctor or allergist for sure...
    i have an inhaler for sports induced asthma but dont use it very often as i have found the more i workout the better i feel....but i have it in case...definitely call your dr...
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though you definately have something going on. ANYTHING that causes you to become short of breath with activity absolutely needs medical attention. And of course you would never do this but, in the meantime, do not try to self treat yourself by purchasing the over the counter inhalers. And don't 'borrow' your sister's inhaler. Best of luck to you, and get your rear-end to the doc! =)
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I told my doctor that I couldn't tell if I was having trouble breathing because I was out of shape or the exercise was affecting my asthma. He suggested using the inhaler BEFORE exercising. I have done that and I still some trouble breathing, but not the wheezing and coughing that usually come with asthma. I'm just really out of shape and can't run yet. You should definitely speak with a doctor, but the first thing they will suggest is try pre-medicating.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a doctor's visit would be the best idea. I don't think it's because I'm out of shape, I've been working out for the past year, but I've really started to push myself with running and intense cardio and it's definitely difficult. I'll ask my mom where she took my sister to get it checked out. I'm not full-on wheezing and coughing, but its definitely hard to breathe and there is a bit of tightness.