1 week off Metformin and cravings are baaccckkk!

Options
It's been 1 week since my doc took me off Metformin (one of my Diabetes pills)--the 2nd time I've been off now in a little over a month. The last time I took myself off (with doc approval)and went back on because of the cravings. Then, last week, doc came up with another plan trying to control my lows/highs that involved coming off the Metformin again and staying only on Glimepiride.

Anyhoooo--Metformin does control cravings and is used even by some non-diabetics for appetite control.

So now, I'M DYING HERE!

I'm so hungry--well, not really "hungry" but just HUNGRY! I mean, I could eat a small pig right now--or maybe even a large one!

I want everything I see on TV! I WANT ICE CREAM! I WANT CHEESE-ITS! AND I REALLY WANT MORE OF THOSE HARDEE'S CHILI DOGS!

I'm just thankful no body delivers here or I'd be in trouble!

Think I'll go to bed early tonight to get food off my mind--I'll probably dream of flying pizzas or dancing chili dogs or something. :laugh:

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    It's been 1 week since my doc took me off Metformin (one of my Diabetes pills)--the 2nd time I've been off now in a little over a month. The last time I took myself off (with doc approval)and went back on because of the cravings. Then, last week, doc came up with another plan trying to control my lows/highs that involved coming off the Metformin again and staying only on Glimepiride.

Anyhoooo--Metformin does control cravings and is used even by some non-diabetics for appetite control.

So now, I'M DYING HERE!

I'm so hungry--well, not really "hungry" but just HUNGRY! I mean, I could eat a small pig right now--or maybe even a large one!

I want everything I see on TV! I WANT ICE CREAM! I WANT CHEESE-ITS! AND I REALLY WANT MORE OF THOSE HARDEE'S CHILI DOGS!

I'm just thankful no body delivers here or I'd be in trouble!

Think I'll go to bed early tonight to get food off my mind--I'll probably dream of flying pizzas or dancing chili dogs or something. :laugh:
  • MECHE
    MECHE Posts: 25
    Options
    Metformin/Glucophage is use for diabetis, yes to drop sugar level.. So, how that should help to decrease your craving of sugar? Actually you will need sugar instead, to feel normal.. Taking metformin can be dangerous plus affect your kidney function. check the PDR! Good luck!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I take it, or took it, for my diabetes.

It is used by some non-diabetics to control appetites. It works by lowering your glucose levels, which makes you feel less "empty"
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Huh? :grumble: Interesting news about Metformin, I'm taking it for Insulin Resistance, but haven't noticed any craving issues before or now? :glasses: ...altho, I had noticed that I'm eating more healthy, both in terms of quantity, and quality, of my decisions. :drinker: As in I don't need that second (used to be third) plate at dinner anymore. But I ascribed that just to trying be a better boy with my body (nice alliteration, huh? :wink: ).
    Hope your cravings get back to a healthy fashion sista! HUgz and luvya! :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I never knew about it's use in diets either until my doc told me couple months ago. I half scoffed at that but WOW, coming off it has been something. Now, I'm not sure if it's the Met for sure or not but it just seems to much coincidence that twice now when I came off it, I developed intense cravings! I'm hoping they fade with time :ohwell:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I hope the cravings go away soon, Shore! :flowerforyou:
  • imaloser
    Options
    I have never entered a reply here, but found your issue interesting, as I am a diabetes researcher. Metformin is a very well researched drug and is taken by millions of patients world wide. It is an insulin sensitizer, meaning it makes your insulin in your body work better, as well as suppressing glucose output from your liver. Your cravings could be related to getting off metformin. As all drugs have side effects, every person will have their own response to drugs. The key is to keep a log of what you are feeling and how you are feeling and if they continue, talk to your doctor. My guess is that they will subside with time. Good for you for taking care of your health and good luck with your weight loss!