Chocolate

Options
How good or bad is "sugar free" chocolate???

Thanks
Tameka

Replies

• tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Depends on whats in it. When I think sugar free, I think artificial sweetener like aspartame or splenda. I'd personally just rather have a little of the real thing.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I second what tondalea said. Some people have a lot of problems with sugar alcohols, which are used as calorie-free sweeteners. (Digestive issues if they eat too much of it at a time.) Others like aspartame or splenda aren't sugar alcohol, but some people are sensitive to those as well. I'm not sensitive to any of them, but personally I'd rather avoid artificial sweeteners/sugar alcohols. I don't like the thought of putting lab-made sweeteners in my body.

I recommend super dark chocolate - I buy the Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate bar - it's surprisingly low in sugar, since it is so dark. Yumm.... If you don't like really dark chocolate, then just stick to the regular thing, but make sure you watch portion sizes. I recommend trying home-made desserts where you control what type of sugar is used, rather than eating candy bars, etc. I like making home-made black bean brownies with honey as the sweetener (It's made with baking cocoa and some melted 100% dark chocolate as the chocolate sources).
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Funny thing is with the diet plan I'm on I can have DARK chocolate and it's okay. Has to be at least 51% dark tho'.
  • shannonreeves11
    Options
    Amen sister!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Right guys! I've been sticking with dark chocolate when I need my fix! Didn't kow about the 51% dark thing tho. I will note that in my memory log. And i was wondering what the deal is because now they have sugar free everything including oreos!!! And Im wondering how healthy could that stuff be??
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Right guys! I've been sticking with dark chocolate when I need my fix! Didn't kow about the 51% dark thing tho. I will note that in my memory log. And i was wondering what the deal is because now they have sugar free everything including oreos!!! And Im wondering how healthy could that stuff be??

Maybe this will shed some light on your topic..............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-alcohols/