Awesome, I've lost 0 lbs lost in 3 weeks

Options
YassSpartan
YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
Awesome? You might think. Yes, I said it right, I'm happy I haven't lost a pound during my first 3 weeks of P90X. Now why am I so happy? Because my goal have never been to lose weight, just to lose body fat AND to gain muscle mass. It seems that the amount of protein I've been eating along with the rest of my diet have been paying off by replacing muscle for fat.

Sunday next week I need to take my second set of photos, and I already notice by looking at myself in the mirror how my body is changing. It is really hard to replace 1lb of fat with 1lb of muscle because of the density of both. The image below shows what I mean.

This, of course, proves that you can't really pay too much attention to the scale when working out, because if your goal is to lose weight, but you're also gaining muscle mass, the scale won't tell you that and you'll be disappointed.

Therefore, even though my story is not over yet, so far it has been a total success :)

fat-v-muscle.jpg

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Awsome attitude. You will get to your goal that way for sure!
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Woohoo.. good job!! Thanks for the reminder!
  • marianna0056
    marianna0056 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That was just the encouragement I needed. I am not seeing the scale move either. But I am feeling better and have more energy now. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I will try to remember that next time I get really discouraged. Some of my "friends" are losing weight at a faster rate than me, and it seems almost like a competition to see who can do it faster. I know that slow and steady wins the race. Thanks for posting this!! Keep up the good work!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks I needed this reminder today! I can totally feel and see the difference but when the scale doesn't budge it is irritating at times!
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is great encouragement. And I love the visual picture as well, really shows the size difference. Congrats on your 0 pounds!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies :) and I'm glad it serves as a reminder that scales can't tell the difference between fat and muscle.

A friend from MFP said in another topic I posted here, we don't buy our clothes based on our weight, but on our size, and that's totally true. If I weight 250lbs because of muscle mass, compared to someone who weights the same because of body fat, that doesn't mean I'll be overweight, and most definitely my sizes will be different from someone with excess of body fat. Take photos with the same pose every 30 days or so, compare the before and after, and you'll know if you are getting real results.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You make such good points! Thank you very much for the reminder!!
  • kfarnham9
    Options
    That's how I feel! I am on day 10 of Insanity and have only lost 2 lbs. But I don't care one bit because my body is getting toned and thinner. :o) Keep it up!
  • MindyF68
    Options
    Thank you I really needed to hear that today. It has been a month and the scale hasn't moved for me but my clothes have gotten looser. What you say makes alot of sense. I was getting very depressed. So again thank you for the information.
  • nikolh
    Options
    This has been an awesome post. I really believe in the 30-day photos. My friend and I were doing it weekly on our weekly weigh ins and we decided 30 days was a better, less discouraging time-frame. We can absolutely see the changes going on with our bodies. Consequently, the scale is still dropping because our routines have been cardio based, but this post is something to keep in mind when the alleged "plateau" starts. The scale may not move at all (or it may not move fast enough), but the fat will shrink! Thanks for the reminder.
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is really the way to think about the process!

I haven't lost 'weight' in over a week now, but I've moved down a notch on my belt! I also had a coworker pay me a very nice compliment, she was the first person besides my wife to notice all my changes since she doesn't see me often :). Feels good!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I'm glad all of you relate to this too. Keep up the good work, sooner or later it shows off. Don't expect results at the same rate than other people, take in consideration that metabolism works different based on age, health, physical activities, food, etc... but whether it works slow or fast, if you keep working out and eating healthy and properly, you'll get to where you want to be.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love the visual picture!!!
    oh by the way congrats!!
  • AshliKrasz
    AshliKrasz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I have never been concerned with how much I weigh. In fact at my thinnest I wasn't skinny but I was toned and that is my goal again. I want my clothes to fit better.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Great post! And thanks for the pic! It just keeps it all in perspective :)
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I needed this!! THANK YOU!
  • LizSaa
    Options
    P90X rocks! I too have not lost much weight but have gained strength and have seen my body start to transform.

Keep it up!

[img][/img]
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Well done.:D

And thanks for the image.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Great motivation! Thanks!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    love that pic. Thanks for sharing your motivation :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!