Small things make a BIG difference!

Options
Today is by far the nicest day of the year we've had here in Chicago! This beautiful weather has inspired me to share some of the small things I try to do on a daily basis that I truly believe make a difference!

* Dance around while brushing your teeth/getting ready in the morning
* Take the stairs
* Park at the end of the parking lot
* No eating in the car
* Stand up while folding laundry
* Carry grocery bags in your hands, rather than setting them in a cart
* Take a walk instead of watching tv

These are just a few things I try to be conscious of. Feel free to add more! I'd love to know the small efforts everyone makes! Most importantly, take time to look at yourself & point out only the postive things you see and feel! I did that this morning & couldn't be happier today! :)

Replies

• HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I love this!

When I watch TV I will usually get up and do stuff during the commercial breaks. Whether it be me just walking up the stairs, or cleaning up a bit.. I find it not only helps pass the time for boring commercial breaks, but also stops me from wanting to eat out of boredom and keeps me moving!
  • mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    i always dance brushing my teeth!!!
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    I park at the back of the parking lot, too! I also walk to my boss' office (or who ever it may be) rather than calling. Now that it's beautiful out (I also live in the Chicago area), I decided I'm going to walk part of my lunch. We are required to take an hour and I get bored. No more sitting for me - I will walk as long as it's nice out!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I try to add little things into my day one thing I do is walk or run in place during the commercials
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Great tips!

My biggest caveat is being stuck to my computer chair all day while working.

I've decided any time I am on the phone or get writers block (or am spacing out otherwise), I'm just going to stand up and march in place. I know it sounds ridiculous but if I burn an extra 60 calories a day doing it, that's an extra 1/2 lb. I can lose each month. Plus, it's good to take short breaks when doing desk work. :)
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I dance most of the time whild brushing my teeth. I do take the stairs at work too! I am on the 3rd floor. Sometimes, depending on how busy I am, I will go all the way to the first floor to use the restroom just so I can get that liitle bit of exercise and away from my desk. I have now discovered netflix on my ipod so I usually watch an old episode of something while working out on the elliptical.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    We got rid of TV altogether a few years ago. It saved us so much money. Connected the computer to the TV so we can watch for free on ABC if we wanted, but we haven't done that in over a year. Now, for entertainment we play video games, like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Just Dance, etc. Our entertainment is our exercise. It makes a huge difference. We have TV on DVD that we watch, like shows we loved when we were growing up. I made my hubby watch the entire I Love Lucy series, and I watched MASH. (Darn the Wonder Years for never coming out on DVD.) We would watch 30 min or an hour of tv on the weekends, and it has been great.
    Great post! I love the no eating in the car. I started doing that when I got a new car and I love it. My car is always so clean!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I walk in place when doing dishes. Also, when my son is watching one of his dvds or shows, I plug in his portable dvd on other side of room and do my exercise dvds. That way he is not left unattended, I can still interact with him, AND I get in a workout.
  • amylanphierd
    amylanphierd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the instant messaging at work, I get up and walk to that persons desk, face to face conversation is usually better anyway. I also have to print a lot of documents throughout the day, I print a few, then get up to get them, instead of printing them all at once. Gets me out of my chair a lot more often.
  • LCardo24
    Options
    @HeartsTurtle, moving around during commercial breaks is a good one and really helps, not only that, but my house is cleaner :) I also try to watch at least half of whatever show I'm watching sitting on my big yoga ball instead of the couch. I swear it helps!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Great tips!

My biggest caveat is being stuck to my computer chair all day while working.

I've decided any time I am on the phone or get writers block (or am spacing out otherwise), I'm just going to stand up and march in place. I know it sounds ridiculous but if I burn an extra 60 calories a day doing it, that's an extra 1/2 lb. I can lose each month. Plus, it's good to take short breaks when doing desk work. :)

I love that!! I am stuck in a computer chair too, and on the phone half or more of the day. I've started to just stand up (since I'm working out I just get restless and want to stretch my legs more) sometimes and since I'm in a rather public spot people kind of look at me funny, standing at my desk on the phone leaning a bit to reach my keyboard, Not sure I'm brave enough to march in place in front of everyone!

I do:
    Stand up to put file on a shelf that I can reach from sitting down (sounds silly, but I do this repeatedly all day long)
    Take the stairs
    Use my 15 minutes breaks for mini-walks
    Put my laundry on the line instead of using the dryer
    Park further away at the grocery store
    Took over the chore of rolling the garbage can out and back 2ce a week.

Dancing while brushing is a great idea
    No eating in the car has been a rule for a while too, and nothing to drink but water!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Generally just walk more especially if it's a short distance.

Today I had to attend a conference for work. It would have taken me about 20 mins to drive there through city traffic and then at least another 10 mins to find a parking space. I knew I could walk there in under half an hour easily as it was only about 2 miles.

What surprised me was the number of work colleagues who when they asked me "where did you park" had their eyes pop out of their head when you say you walked...?! :huh: I mean 2 miles there and 2 miles back, that's... like nothing??

I think it's funny when people take 5 mins to try to park in a tiny space near the entrance of my gym, instead of driving a little further where there is loads of space, so they don't have to walk so far... then get onto a treadmill and... walk!
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I dump my clean laundry out on to the floor and bend over to pick up on piece at a time and walk it over to my closet to hang up individually.

I read some people do squats while emptying/loading the dishwasher.

Definitely park far away in the parking lots (esp. in this beautiful weather!)

At work, I don't let things pile up that I need to take downstairs, everytime I have a folder that needs to go downstairs I walk it down immediately.

I try to drink 4 water bottles of water before lunch.

I got a hip scarf to wear to my Zumba classes, it makes me work harder to hear it jingle LOL! :)
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these great ideas!
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the instant messaging at work, I get up and walk to that persons desk, face to face conversation is usually better anyway. I also have to print a lot of documents throughout the day, I print a few, then get up to get them, instead of printing them all at once. Gets me out of my chair a lot more often.

I do the same thing :)