BMR and Daily Calorie Allowance

Options
Hi--- I'm four days into using My Fitness Pal and was exploring in the "Tools" section when I came across the BMR calculator. When I used it, I found out that my BMR is 1325. However, my daily calorie allowance is 1200. Is this the way it should be (in order to lose weight), or should I be hearing warning bells?

I've read some of the posts and my impression was that the daily allowance should not go below BMR, but maybe I've got that wrong. All guidance appreciated!

Replies

• willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great question and I would like to know the answer to that myself. I will check back to see what others said.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, you should be eating your BMR, read Tonya's answer here to explain everything; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157447-mfp-goals-bmr-sounds-unsafe

The 1200 minimum for women is based on the 'average' woman. Hence why petite people may eat less and do not fall into the dreaded starvation mode. 1200 is a recommended number but it is not like pie, an actually mathematical absolute 3.14......
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1366 currently and I usually use that as my baseline for my daily calorie goal (and thus to determine how much I should be losing in a particular week)- I figure you should be probably getting enough calories to fuel your body for basic function.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what your body burns to functions daily if yoyu are laying around on the couch doing nothing all day. Anything other than that, burns more calories.
  • robinandhismom
    Options
    Actually, 1200 is the absolute minimum calories you should take in to remain healthy. The BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to sustain you at your current weight by doing nothing outside of your regular routine. Thus, the deficite is used to attribute to your wieght loss. This is the simplistic example, but it is how I keep it straight Additionally, if you have 1200 as your goal of 1200 but you do 350 calories worth of exercise i.e. treadmill or aerobics, then you add that 350 to your 1200 and you get to eat 1550 calories for the day. Of course, many people eat their BMR plus calories earned from exercise because they don't have expedited wieght loss goals that require eating the minimum. Let me know if that just confused you more. LOL.But hope it helped.
  • ssharma3655
    Options
    Absolutely, you should be eating your BMR, read Tonya's answer here to explain everything; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/157447-mfp-goals-bmr-sounds-unsafe

The 1200 minimum for women is based on the 'average' woman. Hence why petite people may eat less and do not fall into the dreaded starvation mode. 1200 is a recommended number but it is not like pie, an actually mathematical absolute 3.14......

Thank you for referring me to this---Tonya's reply to you was extremely helpful. I'm on the shorter side (5'3"), so maybe that's why I got the 1200 daily allowance. But not sure why the website would figure my height into the low daily allowance but not figure it into the higher BMR its calculating for me. I can't put my finger on it but something has been telling me that I might not be eating enough when I dip down to 1200. I like the 80% formula Tonya provided, but I'm not sure where to get the "activity level" figure (i.e. BMR + normal daily acitivity, not including exercise which I log in separately).

I used to do Weight Watchers but really want to do something more sustainable long term and was hoping this tool would work out for me! I'm pretty good at sticking to a goal but I just want to make sure that the goal I'm sticking to isn't counterproductive or unhealthy.

Part of me wishes the MFP calculators accounted for this
  • roma0104
    Options
    Your BMR is the bare minimum to keep someone your size and weight alive if you were in a coma; no movement. You don't want to eat any less then 120% of that value. BMR * 1.2 = (calories you should be eating). If you eat below your BMR your body goes into stave mode and you will actually start burning muscle which will drop your BMR even further. Your body will attempt to drop its BMR to match your Caloric intake; any weight loss that requires you to eat less then your BMR will not lead to reduction in body fat, it will damage your metabolism and lead to weight-loss plateaus.

A good method for safe weight loss is to plug in your desired weight goal into a BMR calculator and then multiple it by 1.4, which will give you a safe net-caloric intake that will allow you to exercise moderately without going below your BMR. There is an exception, if you have a large amount of weight to loose, say more than 60 pounds.

Say a woman wants to get to 140 pounds but weighes 240 right now. A woman with a weight of 240, 30 years old, height of 5'-5" has a BMR of 1864 or needs 2609 to maintain this weight if she is sedentary. The same woman who weighs 140 has a BMR of 1429, but with a sedentary life needs 1750 Calories to maintain her weight. The 240 pound woman cannot jump to then 1750 Calories because she would be too close or below her current BMR of 1864 and probably would not see real/lasting improvement. Instead the 240-pound woman should make a baby step goal of 200 pounds, to obtain this it she would need 1689 * 1.4 = 2360 Calories with moderate exercise. When the 200 mark is reached take the next step down until she reaches her final goal weight.

While some diets have you eat below your BMR or right at it, DON’T DO IT! It will lead to plateaus and muscles loss that make it only easier to gain the weight back later. Stay around 120% of BMR or 140% of BMR if you exercise regularly. If there is little loss or gain, fudge the numbers a little and take measure a couple weeks later. It may not drop fat fast, but that is not the point, you are making a lifestyle change and only practicing that lifestyle will allow you to keep that weight off for good.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Actually, 1200 is the absolute minimum calories you should take in to remain healthy. The BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to sustain you at your current weight by doing nothing outside of your regular routine. Thus, the deficite is used to attribute to your wieght loss. This is the simplistic example, but it is how I keep it straight Additionally, if you have 1200 as your goal of 1200 but you do 350 calories worth of exercise i.e. treadmill or aerobics, then you add that 350 to your 1200 and you get to eat 1550 calories for the day. Of course, many people eat their BMR plus calories earned from exercise because they don't have expedited wieght loss goals that require eating the minimum. Let me know if that just confused you more. LOL.But hope it helped.

1200 is an estimate - it's a general guideline to keep people from over cutting their calories. It is the bare minimum NET number you should have at the end of a day (So you burn 500 cals working out, you would need to eat 1700 cals that day to have a NET of 1200). It is too low, even for most petite women. When MFP recommends you to be eating 1200, it is a sign that your weightloss should be slowing a smidge (from 1.5 lbs to 1lb a week, or similar)

BMR is the amount of calories it takes to keep your body FUNCTIONING (like, you know, breathing). I use it to guide my personal minimum net calorie intake. My is 1366, so my calorie goal is 1350 (generally close). If I exercise, I eat most if not all of those calories, so my body still gets enough calories to continue functioning.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where to get the "activity level" figure (i.e. BMR + normal daily acitivity, not including exercise which I log in separately).

Here you go; http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

It's funny how everyone on this thread agrees that you should be eating your BMR but yet MFP seems to set us all up for 1200 calories daily. It looks like unless you are significantly outside of a healthy BMI, the calculator won’t work for you. That seems silly since the majority of people on here are trying to lose 10-40lbs, the 100 lb losers are rare.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    apparently my BMR is 1560 and I am actually (tecnically) a healthy weight BMI wise.
    Lately I've been getting really confused by all this stuff...
  • ssharma3655
    Options
    I'm not sure where to get the "activity level" figure (i.e. BMR + normal daily acitivity, not including exercise which I log in separately).

Here you go; http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

It's funny how everyone on this thread agrees that you should be eating your BMR but yet MFP seems to set us all up for 1200 calories daily. It looks like unless you are significantly outside of a healthy BMI, the calculator won’t work for you. That seems silly since the majority of people on here are trying to lose 10-40lbs, the 100 lb losers are rare.

This is great---thank you! I'll use this to either manual set my daily goal or just keep in mind how much I can or should probably go over my daily goal. Oddly enough, when I used the calculator on the link you sent me, and then calculated what 80% of that number was, per Tonya's formula, I got (wait for it) 1272. So maybe I'm not that far off from the daily goal.

But I have been feeling starved (light-headed, headachy) at times, and I'm thinking that might also be because I stick hard to the 1200 even when I've worked out (usually 313 calories worth of work out). So maybe on the days I work out, I'll eat 1300 at least.