Tough Office environment

Options
I work in an office with about 40-50 people and we often entertain/train clients. This usually entails, leftover doughnuts in the morning and cookies after lunch. Then there is the snack table where people just bring in stuff they baked or had leftover, cupcakes, cookies, candy from holidays. As if this wasn't bad enough our company just bought a soda machine so we could fill it with whatever we want, which means they set it up to only cost $0.25 a can! I work upstairs which keeps me out of the way, usually, but when I walk down the stairs I'm right in the break room with all the temptations. Winter time makes it a lot easier for me to avoid this stuff because I just think of all the germs left from others putting their hands on it (not that I'm a germaphobe). But sometimes it's really hard to stay away, especially when I'm way low on my calories for the day from working out. Anyway, I feel rude sometimes because people spend their own money on pastries and then have the decency to come by my desk and ask me personally if I want something. I just usually say I've already had something for breakfast/lunch, but thanks.
Anyone else find it this difficult in their office? How do you say NO without coming off as rude or better than others because you have the self control not to eat a doughnut or cake every time its offered?
Thanks and as always good luck with your goals.

Replies

• classicshell
    Options
    I got out of the office and started working at home!! :P
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think you're already doing the right thing. As long as you're not acting better than those who choose to eat the pastries, I think you just saying no thanks is fine. I'm a nurse and we always have junk food in the back from patients or other nurses who bring it in. I just don't eat any or thh, sometimes lie and say I had a small bite.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I work in an insurance office and we are constantly getting things from people that want us to refer clients their way for body work, glass repair, restoration, etc. Most recently it was heart boxes full of chocolates for Valentine's Day! I don't feel rude not eating any, because usually they drop it off and leave.

However, where I used to work, at a car dealership, the women in the office were constantly baking and bringing in the tasty treats! I would either make sure to eat a good breakfast so I wasn't hungry, or bring my breakfast to work and start eating it at my desk before any of those things arrived (luckily I started work 30 minutes before the rest of them) so I had the excuse of "i just ate breakfast, but thanks anyway". Or, you could really just be straight forward and say that you are trying to watch your weight, so you appreciate the offer, but you're going to pass. If anything, they'll be proud of you!
  • nickiesue
    Options
    My office mates love to leave little snacks/goodies on the tables too! It drives me a little crazy but once I explained to them what I was doing they are all very supportive and no longer offer me the goodies. Now granted my office is a LOT smaller. There are only 10 of us and we are close but my suggestion is to spread the word! Who knows maybe a co-worker will get involved and you can battle the break room together!

Good Luck!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Be a trend setter and bring in a platter of fruit or a platter of veggies...perhaps people will follow along? Best wishes on stayin' strong...as for the pop machine...see if you can put apple or orange juice or water in it. .. :smile: best wishes xo
  • Denise6914
    Options
    I hear ya. Right now in the break room, we have cake, cookies, and Oreo cheesecake. Two days ago it was pizza, wings, and breadsticks. It gets tiring telling people no, but they understand. It's hard to have willpower sometimes though, especially now with cheesecake, my fave.
  • ktblueyz
    Options
    I can relate. I am an office receptionist and there is always a bowl of chocolate on my desk for the guests. I have gotten a lot better. I allow myself a bite once a week or so. Its just hard because its right in front of me all day. If someone thinks you are coming off as "better than them" because you turned down something sweet then I would say its them with the issue. I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe you might even motivate others by setting a good example? Sounds like you are being polite. Just NEVER eat out of guilt or because you feel like you owe it to someone!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I always just say 'no, thank you' when offered. If someone thinks I'm better than they are because I do not want what is being offered, that is not my problem.

Charmagne
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i used to keep a bowl of sugar-free hard candies on my desk... others in office all had candy bowls on their desks too.. was a regular mine-field!
    But you know whose candy bowl was always empty?

yup. mine... and i was not the one eating them *L*
    Everyone would head to my desk for the less fattening/less guilty alternative.

Someone mentioned being a trendsetter and adding some healthy treats to that goody table... betcha that would be VERY popular!
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. At my job, it's my employers who want the candy bowl filled AT ALL TIMES. And not just with anything - it has to be chocolate. I'm at the front desk and this bowl of chocolate is within arms reach . . . it's really difficult for this girl to say no to chocolate! Anyway, I think it's best to be upfront and honest about it - "No thanks. I'm on a diet. Thanks though!" Always remember the "thank you" as to maintain the politeness and avoid them thinking you're rude.

Everyone has been in your shoes and has wanted to lose weight at one point or another so they can't (or shouldn't) think less of you because you don't want a donut that they brought in. They're probably hoping you'll say no so they can have more to scarf-down on later!! If, in the end, they still feel rebuffed because you turn down the offer of pastries, screw 'em. They're have their own problem to deal with.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I am an office receptionist and there is always a bowl of chocolate on my desk for the guests. I have gotten a lot better. I allow myself a bite once a week or so. Its just hard because its right in front of me all day. If someone thinks you are coming off as "better than them" because you turned down something sweet then I would say its them with the issue. I wouldnt worry about it. Maybe you might even motivate others by setting a good example? Sounds like you are being polite. Just NEVER eat out of guilt or because you feel like you owe it to someone!

Exactly. You control what you put in your body, and you shouldn't have to apoligize for that.

My office has a lot of people who complain about their weight. Some of them, well one of them, has asked me what I did to lose weight. I told her to count her calories and give her this website. She may be around here, she's never told me if she joined. Not all the time, but enough for me to enjoy their irritation make under handed comments about my food selection, or rufusing cookies, or using the shipping scale to measure what I'm eating.

I've been successful at this. I know what I'm doing works for me. I will offer advise and encouragement when asked. But I'll be honest, I get a smirk when the people in my office bemoan their physical condition while at the same time giving me crap about the things required to be successful.
  • jwpotter
    jwpotter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, I worked in an office just like that!!!! Donuts were the norm, and cookies galore. I didn't handle it well at all, although once I lost about 90 pounds working there. It was on a liquid protein diet through a hospital. The motivation of seeing the pounds come off was what kept me from eating the donuts, etc. I think the same is true of this program, when I see that little sign at the end of the day that says in 5 weeks you will weigh......if you keep this up. Yesterday we went out to breakfast with some friends, so I ordered the "light eater" and put the items in my iphone. I realized that the light eater wasn't that much lighter, so I decided not to eat the buttered toast. After I had finished everything, I decided, well, maybe I would eat the toast, the the guy across from me at that precise moment said, "you did good not eating the toast", and with that I put the napkin in the plate and pushed it away.

So, I think that the big thing when you see that donut is just to remember that number that the program tells you that you will be in 5 weeks if you keep it up. Then, go and drink a glass of water!

Thanks for the comment about me loosing 1 pound. Yes, it is the first pound toward that 5 week goal.