Shape up Shoes in the news

Options
Found an interesting article on thatsfit

Skechers Shape-Ups Blamed For Hip Fractures In Lawsuit

Skechers Shape-up shoes claim they can tone your legs, but one woman is saying they injured hers.

Ohio resident Holly Ward has filed a lawsuit against the company stating that she developed stress fractures in both hips as a result of wearing the shoes.

Ward said that she wore the toning shoes during her job as a waitress and, after five months, developed severe pain in her hips. According to the lawsuit, the 38-year-old had no previous injuries and had a healthy bone density of a young woman, thereby alleging that the shoes were the culprits of her stress fractures.

The Shape-ups are a part of the company's more than 3,000 styles of shoes. Their technology includes a soft kinetic wedge insert and rolling bottom to simulate walking on soft sand. There are different variations of the Shape-ups, including those made for walkers, runners, hikers and gym goers.

There is also a "for-work" Shape-up shoe, which the company's website states is "perfect for industry professionals who want to get in shape while on the job." These shoes are advertised to help reduce joint stress (among other things like burning calories, tightening abdominals and strengthening the back), which is the very nature of Ward's injuries and resulting lawsuit.

"We do not know of any testing or safety studies that Skechers did to determine safety," Ward's attorney, Ronald Johnson, told ABC news. "If they're going to invent a whole new way for a human being to walk, the very first thing they should do is studies to make sure that's not going to harm their customers."

Related Stories

Kim Kardashian to Front Skechers Shape-ups Campaign
Reebok Easytone: Shoes With a Workout?
Toning Clothing: We Tried It
Ward, who is now in physical therapy for her injuries and has pins in her hips due to the injuries, told "Good Morning America," "The extended use of these shoes has injured me catastrophically."
Ward added, "The femoral bone is the strongest bone in the human body, and I fractured not one but two of them without being in a car crash or any traumatic incident."

The hype for Shape-ups began in 2009 when the shoes were introduced. Since then, Kim Kardashian and her mother, Kris Jenner, have been named the new faces of the brand with a campaign called "Shaping Up With the Kardashians." Yet even with the media hype, there has been repeated controversy over whether the toning shoes do indeed work.

The thing that everyone can agree on is that Shape-ups alter your natural foot pattern and the way you walk. In fact, there is little supporting data that any of the toning shoes on the market really work, and orthopedics, in particular, have remained skeptical about their benefits.

Ward's lawyer said he has heard from more people with fractures and reports quoting doctors who say they've seen other injuries like strained Achilles tendons and falls because people lost their balance in the shoes.

Meanwhile, Skechers stands by its shoes, stating "millions of people wear Shape-ups without experiencing what Ms. Ward alleges."

I find this a little troubling. Has anyone here had problems with the shoes? My friend has them, and I'm a little worried for her now.

Replies

• nukehiker
    Options
    I bought a pair of these last Christmas for my wife, she has had no problems relating to use of the shoes. also my wife is 5 ft tall don't know if thats an issue or not.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    I have a pair and I wear them often actually... very cushy. Yes, you have to get used to the balance and if you walk with your feet turned out or in - I don't think they work well (at least for one of my friends who claimed that)

What I notice is it makes we walk straight- keep good posture and helps my butt! I will say it takes some getting used to them. I exercised in them today and it worked just fine. My husband whose had 9 knee surgeries has a pair and he likes them too. Says it doesn't hurt more or less - just again, very cushy when walking.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lawyer, but I knew this lawsuit was coming two years ago.

Sketchers should have hired me as a "consultant"
  • nukehiker
    Options
    thats Christmas of 2009 so she has had them for well over a year
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple pairs over the last 18 monthes.. They are actually very comfortable and provide a nice cushion for the bottom of my feet. (I work 12 hour days on my feet).. But as far as actually toning anything, I would say they are a total bust..

That may just be sensationaizedl media about the injury though. Anyone can FILE a lawsuit. Could end up being bogus, who knows..
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Sketchers Shapeups as I've never worn them but the Reebok Easytone's messed up my feet. I now have pain in my arches several times a week from wearing them and I haven't even worn them in about a year. Not sure what they did to my feet but I regret ever getting them. I'll stick to plain ol' running shoes.
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I've been wearing mine for a long time now and haven't had any problems, but that's just me... I can honestly say too that I haven't noticed any difference in my legs or glutes since wearing them, so maybe it's all hype about their supposed benefits.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i bought some last year, if ur clumsy thet're not 4u. i almost trip a couple times, i'm giving mine a break due to the weather but i will be back in them. i cant testify if they work but i'm in nursing & i walk alot & i did not feel my feet hurt unlike some other shoes
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    iv'e worn them and they have a different feel to them but nothing that would cause a fx. reminds me of person who sued mcd b/c the hot coffee was hot. if you are wearing or using something and it is uncomfortable to point of pain (stop using the product). you can't fix stupid...

on the same morning show a teacher was whining b/c she was blogging mean hateful things about her students and the students found the blog and read it. her defense is it was meant for her friends only...... come on......
  • sherilynn65
    sherilynn65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i got myself a pair of the champion brand shoes i just love them. they are really soft and i was amazed at how well they help keep your feet warm. i would get them again
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

True and for those who are active you should be changing your shoes at least every 6 months minimum

i'm not supporting these shoes because I don't have personal experience with them nor know people who wear them, but i noticed that as well re: time length
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I recently purchased some and I wear them everyday. I walk 2 miles in them. I love them, however I have noticed that after my walks, my lower back hurts a bit. I am assuming it is because my posture has gone to crap frombeing overweight for so long, and I feel that the shoes are helping to imporve my posture. I don't see how you can fracture your hips from these shoes, but I guess everyone is different. Personally I LOVE my Shape-Ups and I have been recommending them to everyone I talk to.
  • ropedancer
    Options

True and for those who are active you should be changing your shoes at least every 6 months minimum

i'm not supporting these shoes because I don't have personal experience with them nor know people who wear them, but i noticed that as well re: time length

You know I didn't even think of the time length. Thanks for pointing that out.

And thanks to everyone for their responses!
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i have a pair of the work ones and loved them. I was on my feet all the time with work tried many different shoes like every 2 months i was getting new shoes my back hurt all the time and my knees too. So finally i broke down and bought the 100$ shape ups and was very pleased my posture was improved and knee and back pain had improved in just a week. i loved them and would buy them again. my question about this is how old was the lady? also people will have a lawsuit over anything these days due to the economy being down hell remember the person who sued mcdonalds for burning theirself on hot coffee. Dah its coffee not and iced mocha. people will do anything for money these days
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair for a couple of months now and I love them. Have no idea if they do what they claim but they are the comfiest pair of trainers I've ever had
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I've had a pair for a couple of months now and I love them. Have no idea if they do what they claim but they are the comfiest pair of trainers I've ever had

THEY ARE EXTREMELY COMFY!! :)
  • kaipoakalani19
    Options
    i bought the champion brand shoes that look like the Reebok balance ones. i recently had to quit my job because of stress fractures, tendinitis, and shin splints in my foot. i don't know if it is because of those shoes but the orthopedic doctor told me to wear different shoes and aqua temp inserts. this didn't happen right away it took much time.
  • jenny_tan01
    Options
    I have a pair of easytone shoes and I haven't had any problems. They've actually helped me.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Sketchers Shapeups as I've never worn them but the Reebok Easytone's messed up my feet. I now have pain in my arches several times a week from wearing them and I haven't even worn them in about a year. Not sure what they did to my feet but I regret ever getting them. I'll stick to plain ol' running shoes.

Interesting... I've been wearing the reebok easy tones for several months & I've got such bad pains in my feet & heel that I can't run anymore. I'm tossing them out!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about a pair at one point but did a little research online and decided against them. I do have a pair of "Tone-ups" sandals but they're a much milder shape than the usual toning shoes and I didn't buy them to make my butt look better, I bought them because they're very comfortable and one of the few pairs of sandals my feet actually like. I don't wear them all the time though since I prefer to be barefoot. :)

I do know that when I was trying on the different styles and walking around the store in them I commented to my husband that you could easily injure yourself in these shoes. I know the lawyer wants to win and all but didn't the invention of high heels essentially change the normal walking pattern of those who wear them? I know people have had physical issues because of long term heel wearing but did they come into fashion before people were lawsuit happy? I have a pair of boots that made my back hurt...does anybody have the lawyer's number? Maybe I can send my kids to college after all....