Shoes...

Options
I am going to be buying some new tennis shoes and was wanting some advice for a good supportive shoe. I have had some New Balance shoes for quite sometime now and have been great, but wondering what others think. I have been running and this is hard on the feet so that would need to be considered. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them test your gait and watch you run, they will be able to recommend good shoes. It's the best way to get shoes if you are a runner and want to avoid injury.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    there is a pick of mine on the picture page on here, Rebook Zigs, they are very supportive and I love them. Got them for xmas and wear them primarily to work out.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside 100%. I took my son who runs track to a running store and they did exactly that. Well worth the trip.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside 100%. I took my son who runs track to a running store and they did exactly that. Well worth the trip.
    I third this.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I had to quit running last fall due to arthritis in knees. I was wearing New Balance then. I recently got Rebooks Zigs ( I think?) They have a zig zag cushion soles, I love them for the cushion! They can be used as running shoes but I am just doing indoor aerobic/ strength training right now. Don't get these mixed up with Rebook tones - those are for walking shape wear only.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them test your gait and watch you run, they will be able to recommend good shoes. It's the best way to get shoes if you are a runner and want to avoid injury.

I agree! My husband did and bougth some Brooks Beast....I had never heard of them but he loves them!!!
    I perfer Socany b/c the don't squish my toes as much as other shoes.
  • tater8589
    Options

I agree, I did this and was recommended New Balance or Asics with the most support available. However I switched last April to Nike Free (last step down before the toe shoes) and though my knees hurt for about 3 months, after that I was more comfortable running, knocked about a min to 1.5 min off my run time and have had almost no knee pain from running. (I have a history of knee problems)
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also agree with checking out a running store. They will examine how you run and take into account your foot shape in selecting a shoe for you.

I have a medium-high arch and slightly underpronate. I ended up with the Asics Gel Nimbus 12 and LOVE them! Only thing I don't like is the price point because I end up wearing them down too quickly. Its worth it though because I don't get shin splints anymore. Woo hoo!!!
  • DTelleen
    Options
    I love New Balance. Great support, great cushion, and great fit (largest selection with various widths - 4e for me).
  • amandakay23
    Options
    How would I find a running store?
  • tater8589
    Options
    I also agree with checking out a running store. They will examine how you run and take into account your foot shape in selecting a shoe for you.

I have a medium-high arch and slightly underpronate. I ended up with the Asics Gel Nimbus 12 and LOVE them! Only thing I don't like is the price point because I end up wearing them down too quickly. Its worth it though because I don't get shin splints anymore. Woo hoo!!!

Tip next time, go find the shoe you need, then shop around for the best price in other stores.
  • tater8589
    Options

Google running clinics in your area. I came up with this one, but don't know if its close enough for you.
    http://idahorunningcompany.com/

Good luck.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Tip next time, go find the shoe you need, then shop around for the best price in other stores.

Oh believe me I did!!! The cheapest I could find them for online was $100 ($25 off retail) and I scooped them up as a replacement pair. My original pair I paid the suggested retail of $125 less 5% for turning in my old running shoes. I'm hoping that once the Nimbus 13's come out I'll be able to find the 12's on clearance - they're already popping up in DSWs so hopefully it'll be soon because I need a new pair!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am a Saucony girl. I love the way they fit, I feel like I am amzing wearig them..and they're cute! What more could you ask for? I also use Zappos.com for ordering shoes. Once you find some you like, they have great prices and offer free shipping and returns/exchanges. Good luck!
  • amandakay23
    Options

Google running clinics in your area. I came up with this one, but don't know if its close enough for you.
    http://idahorunningcompany.com/

Good luck.

Thank you for looking, this one is like 8 hours away unfortunately. I have been looking online, I actually have a bunion on my left foot too that is pretty bad, I see some recommendations for this and am continuing to research too. Looking into all thats been suggested so far, thank you again everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • tater8589
    Options
    To help your feet, there is mole skin at walmart or you can rub your feet at night (after shower) with petrolium jelly or Vit E. It softens the skin, I had a bunion forming where I kept getting blisters over blisters. Since I started using Pjelly I haven't had any more problems and my feet are soft and smooth. Hope this helps.
  • amandakay23
    Options
    The bunion is actually drifting of the bone and bone formation on the knuckle by the big toe, it cannot be removed or go away unfortunately, I will have to have surgery soon, it has gotten pretty bad. :grumble: