Eat Before or After Workout

Options
This is a question I have had for years. Should I eat before or after the gym?

Replies

• bethann1976
    Options
    I feel sluggish if I eat before. I think it's just personal preference?
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like to eat after.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's a personal preference. I eat after too.
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    you should have a light snack with some carbs (think a piece of fruit) about 30 minutes before working out (for energy).
    and you should have something high-protein immediately after (to rebuild your muscles) :]
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    depends, I don't eat right before so I eat abotu 1 1/2 hours before(usually small and high carbs), because then I don't feel too full or uncomfortable then I eat a small meal after after working out (always protein I like 3 soft boiled eggs) because itgives your muscles nutrition to help repair them.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    I eat after ... but I make sure I've eaten something a few hours before I work out so its not on an empty stomach. otherwise I feel sick.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    im a morning exerciser and for me, i have to eat before my workout because i dont do well with exercise and drinking on an empty stomach and i drink plenty water while exercising so for me i eat breakfast before (not a heavy one) and maybe a protein shake or fruit after..i usually space it out evenly between breakfast and lunch
  • chantalicious
    Options
    If I workout in the morning I don't eat before because I'm starving after my workout. If I wokout in the afternoon I will have a snack before for the energy boost!
  • chantalicious
    Options
    If I workout in the morning I don't eat before because I'm starving after my workout. If I wokout in the afternoon I will have a snack before for the energy boost!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat before if I haven't eaten in a while, because I want to make sure I have enough energy. I almost always eat afterwards, especially if I do anything that involves building muscle. Getting protein as soon as you can after your workout definitely helps.
  • Nikayla11209
    Options
    I highly agree about eating like fruit or something before and then high protein after, it might sound odd but if you drink a little bit of chocolate milk after a work out you recover a lot faster! :)
  • justmegan82
    Options
    I've heard to eat a small carb snack before a workout. I can understand needing to do that because I feel like I might pass out if my stomach is empty while I workout! Don't stuff yourself, of course, but something small couldn't hurt.

Also, I've heard that having protein immediately after a workout is good for you. I've also heard that drinking chocolate milk after weight training is helpful for recovery.

I listen to the Get Fit Guy podcast (it's on www.quickanddirtytips.com) and he answers A LOT of questions like these. LOTS of good information. The Nutrition Diva is also really good.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do both. I'll eat something light about an hour before, then have a recovery meal right after. Nothin' wrong with it for me.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It depends on the time of day for me. If I am doing a morning workout, I can hardly eat. So maybe 1/2 a banana or a protein shake. If my workout is in the evening then I have to eat. I mainly workout after work and usually eat 200 calories 30-45 minutes before. I like 1/2 cup brown rice and 2-3 ounces grilled chicken. If I don't eat a blend of protein and carbs I lose my momentum halfway through my workout.

Good luck!
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    The quick answer? Whenever you want to. If you feel low-energy during your workout, eat before. If you feel nauseous working out with food in your stomach, eat afterwards. If you're attempting to build muscle, just make sure you have some source of protein within an hour of your workout (before or after).
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    you should have a light snack with some carbs (think a piece of fruit) about 30 minutes before working out (for energy).
    and you should have something high-protein immediately after (to rebuild your muscles) :]

This is what I do.
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your workout is I guess. I do Insanity and without a snack beforehand I would probably not have the energy to complete the workouts to the best of my ability. Therefore, I eat a light PB&J 1.5 - 2 hours before I workout. Works every time. Whole wheat bread, 1 tblsp organic PB, 1 tsp reduced sugar jelly. Delish!
  • PeterBuilt09
    PeterBuilt09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do both :) I eat a small portion of protien and a complex carb like oatmeal to fuel me through my training then I replenish my carbs afterwards and take in about 50grams of protien
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Both, definitely. 5-6 small meals a day, and you'll do both anyway. Put your workout right in between 2 meals.