running shoes causing pain?

Options
hi everyone, i was wondeirng if someone could help me. for christmas i got some awesome running shoes. nike lunarglides.

(see link for shoes)

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Womens-LUNARGLIDE-WOMENS-RUNNING/dp/B0041OO5RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298052215&sr=8-1

just this week, i started running in them (i had been previously doing fast paced walking) and as soon as i started running my shins hurt so bad, i had to stop.

i have very low (pretty much non-existant) arches, could that have something to do with it?

so my questions are:
could the shoes be causing the pain?
should i add in inserts for the arches?
if i should invest in a new pair of sneakers, what would you recommend/

thanks for any help you guys can give me. i love the support around here!
xo B

Replies

• PapaPolarBear
    Options
    yes the shoes can cause the pain, and either inserts or new shoes will definitely help. I used to have the same problem with shin splints and the right shoes helped alot.
  • cdmerrill
    Options
    I too have little to no arch, and when I run without the right support I tend to pronate inward (feet roll just a little) which causes terrible shin splints (muscle actually pulling away from the bone). The shin splints can take weeks of rest to heal, so you will want to get a handle on this ASAP to avoid being sidelined by your shoes. Inserts can help, but I actually use ankle braces myself. The pair that I use have a velcro strap that lets me tighten at the arch and then I get a 'customized' level of support.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents...
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. I get shin splints if I jog on pavement. I have to jog on a track or treadmill. If you run outside...it has to be on something soft like grass.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting shin splints and it could very well be from the shoes you are wearing (among other things). Here is a blog posting on shin splints: http://blast900.com/blog/?p=80
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Were you fitted for the shoes at a running store? If not, you need to be. Bring your current shoes with you. They will do an evaluation of your feet, arch, stride, etc. and put you in the best shoe for you.

If you were properly fitted, go back to the store and discuss your problems with them.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I too have little to no arch, and when I run without the right support I tend to pronate inward (feet roll just a little) which causes terrible shin splints (muscle actually pulling away from the bone). The shin splints can take weeks of rest to heal, so you will want to get a handle on this ASAP to avoid being sidelined by your shoes. Inserts can help, but I actually use ankle braces myself. The pair that I use have a velcro strap that lets me tighten at the arch and then I get a 'customized' level of support.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents...

where did you get the anke braces?

thanks everyone for all of your help!
  • tater8589
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try some inserts before you spend money for newer shoes. Also, if your arches are bad enough your dr can prescribe some inserts to you, you'll have to heat them then stand on them to shape them. Or go to walmart (wear socks) and stand on the thing that tells you what inserts to get, just be warned they cost about $50.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Shin pain or shin splints can have a number of causes:

- weight
    - heel striking
    - wrong shoes
    - overuse (too much too soon)

The Lunar Glide is primarily aimed at the neutral runner or runners with only relatively minimal support needs. It's not a particularly stable shoe and provides not a lot of motion control. While they are also marketed at pronators, the feedback I've had on them was that people with excessive pronation don't get on with them.

If you have very fallen arches they may very well not be suited to you.
  • tater8589
    Options
    My feet over pronate and for the longest time I bought the most supportive shoes I could find. Back in April 10 I bought the Nike Free which is similar to the lunar glide and for about 3-4 months I had knee pain, but after my body adjusted I love them. I nolonger have knee pain when I run and I have dropped 1-1.5 min off my average run time.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My feet over pronate and for the longest time I bought the most supportive shoes I could find. Back in April 10 I bought the Nike Free which is similar to the lunar glide and for about 3-4 months I had knee pain, but after my body adjusted I love them. I nolonger have knee pain when I run and I have dropped 1-1.5 min off my average run time.

It's quite likely that your gait has changed from running in a minimalist shoe and you're probably running much more on your forefoot now, which is a lighter and faster foot strike.

Same with myself, when I run in my Vibrams I run very light and usually faster, and I also normally pronate.

That transition to minimalist shoe some people find beneficial (as the case with us), but I know not everyone gets away with it.

I know from my podiatrist that there are different forms of pronation, depending on when during the gait cycle you pronate (early pronation, late stage pronation etc), so I think it works for some but it's a gamble.