Fat and Carbohydrates: Do I need them?

Options
I have consistently consumed less carbohydrates and fat and more protein per day than the recommended amount. On any given day I might get half the fat and carbohydrates and one and a half times the protein than is recommended.

Should I be trying to keep these three as close to the recommended as possible?

Replies

• NotCreepy
    Options
    I have consistently consumed less carbohydrates and fat and more protein per day than the recommended amount. On any given day I might get half the fat and carbohydrates and one and a half times the protein than is recommended.

• jamdblake4
    Options

at lest one gram of protien per body weight.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Should be fine. Protein helps build muscle which burns body fat. As long as you aren't keeping your carbs under 100 g a day, it should be fine. May want to consider adding healthy fats to your diet such as nuts and olive oil though.
  • amberrobinson1
    Options
    really, one gram of protien per lb of body weight? that means i should be eating almost 200 more than recommended by mfp. i have a hard time eating the recommended calories, carbs, and fat. but i am usually always a little over in protien.

91581.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • davidhaxor
    Options
    only use .6-1 gram protien per lounds of lean body mass and ONLY IF your trying to gain muscle mass

to determine lean body mass, you need to take your weight and subtract the body fat
    say i weigh 187lbs, and my body fat is 15%, actual reading my lean body mass is187-(187*.15)= 159

so 159 pounds of me is not fat,
    REMEMBER this formula isfor people trying to build body fat

althought cutting fat and carbs help reduce body weight, it doesnt necesarily mean its the best approach, your body needs a certain amount of fat to work properly, and the carbs provide nergy for the day and to also do your training. dont unde eat, your mal nurish yourself and youll feel groggy and achy, especially if you train

For NON body builders the appx amount of protien is .75 - 1 grams protien per KILOGRAM so 2.2 lbs lean, so for me 159 / 2.2 *.75 or (54 grams to 72 grams) and that just to maintain myself no gain or loss
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    i think you should add carbs and fat in your diet...can harm your kidneys and definitely cause halitosis
  • stephanieo78
    Options
    I would try and meet the goals based on your criteria. Its there for a reason to help you balance based on your weight, ecetra.

If your slightly less than the daily goal that's just fine:)

But try to eat everything suggested because just because your eating less doesn't mean its healthier.

Too much of anything isn't a good thing.

If you go over a lil that's okay too. But everything within reason.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

The key is healthy--not short cuts--and cutting back on anything too much is simply not good. You need some carbs and you need some fat. Your body requires them to function. However, there is a difference between "good" and "bad" and you have to learn to balance that. Moderation, Moderation, Moderation!

As for protein, that's a hot topic issue. Many say more protein is ok. I try to stick within guidelines. No way could I eat 1 gram per day of my body weight.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

at lest one gram of protien per body weight.

That amount is okay for people who are REALLY lean...once you get down to 5% body fat, your entire body weight is made up almost entirely of LBM. However, for individuals who are carrying higher amounts of body fat, or who don't know their weight of LBM, 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight can actually become dangerous. A man who weighs 300 lbs shouldn't be eating 300+ grams of protein. At that level, it does pose a health risk, both in terms of blood chemistry and possible malnutrition from eating too little fat or carbohydrates since the protein alone provides 1200 calories.

The highest beneficial amount of protein studied was .8g/kg of body weight, or about .75 g per lb (that's a really rough estimate). A Russian Olympic team was studied. More than that, and you're simply shifting your primary glucose provider from carbohydrates to protein (some amino acids can be used in glucose production). Instead of that excess protein being used for muscle growth/repair, it's just used for energy production. Our body systems are like funnels...no matter how much protein you dump in, protein synthesis is going to go the same speed. Dump in a TON of protein, and your 'funnel' will overflow.

In terms of fat-- it is used for nerve function, hormone production, in the cell membrane, and for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins (not to mention it keeps your skin and hair from being cracked and dry). So YES EAT ALL THE FAT.