Tabata Anyone?

Options
My son provided the following link to me this morning. After watching the video I came to the conclusion that I would need to get into better shape just to attempt it. Check it out here:

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Is anybody here doing this that could give some insight?

Replies

• strongdog68
    Options
    Just started using the Tabata protocol with my workouts over the last week or two. I have been adding it in at the end of my strength training routines a day or two a week. I already have been doing my strength training utilizing a Gym Boss in a circuit and interval manner to get strength and cardio in at the same time, so it was not too big of a shock to my system when I started integrating the Tabata protocol. It still kicked my butt, but not as bad as if I had not been doing the interval based workouts.

I say go ahead and give it a try unless you have a specific health condition that concerns you. Your body will adapt as you go. You can find some good examples of Tabata workouts on You Tube.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is excellent training - I highly recommend it! You don't need to get in better shape before doing it, because the level of max intensity to you is possibly low now compared to someone super fit, but that's ok, because it's still YOUR max intensity. I love Tabata!
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    We do Tabatas in my bootcamp a couple times a week with a variety of exercises. Like stevemcknight said, whatever you do is YOUR max training rate, and it will only get better the more you do it.

For example, we do squats for 20 seconds, as fast as we can, then hold in the squat position (getting quad parallel to the ground) as the "rest", then do it again. 6 times. We might do it with lunges, or really anything you want. The first 3 reps aren't too bad, but then it gets much harder. They are great though!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    looks like something i might need to try
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it in my aerobic classes every week and the ppl that take my classes love it too. There is so much variety with this type of training! I never get bored with it because you can do so many diff combos and hit every muscle group. I always did some type of interval training but funny..... this one has a "name" and ppl think it's special.