Gym "Program"

Options
I started going to the gym last month. I don't enjoy going, but love it once I am there and rockin' the elliptical. It is a full gym, with pretty much everything needed but a running track.

I have time to do what ever I want at the gym. I am not employed beyond any regular chores associated with a backyard farmer. I have virtually the entire day in a gym that is pretty dead from 9:00 am to about 4:00 pm on most days. But after my cardio work, I stroll through the labyrinth of machines and weights with no clue what I want to do, should do or should not do.

What would you do if you had that much time on your hands? I am looking for ideas.

A trainer is available, but not in the budget.

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am following the New Rules of Lifting... you should be able to pick it up at the Library.

or you can check out TNT on Mens Health website
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yeh, there are a lot of online sites that list routines you can do. Some of the sites have videos and pictures whiich are helpful.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I am following the New Rules of Lifting... you should be able to pick it up at the Library.

Yes, If you're lost in the gym...read this.

He's a little biased towards running, but other than that I agree with his concepts. When you're done you'll know more than 90% of the people there.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

a few websites i use to make a strength traiing program.

id also recommend doing the strength training first as you can exert more effort after ding a min cardio warm up (and stretch). Then do your regular cardio after the strength training. :smile:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Yes, If you're lost in the gym...read this.

He's a little biased towards running, but other than that I agree with his concepts. When you're done you'll know more than 90% of the people there.

I really like it a lot and it seems to be working really well. Plus I like not running!

although I do mix in at least one day of Cardio on the elliptical per week.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Although a trainer is out of the budget, most gyms do have people that can at least help you get started. Ask at the front desk, they can at least show you how to work the machines - that is their job & what they're paid to do.

Most machines also have mini-instructionals with pictures to show you what you should do: most important is core strength & posture so you don't injure yourself.

Decide what you want to "work": but don't just focus on that one area, you want to be well-rounded (pardon the pun!) in your strength training. As a personal recommendation, stay away from ab machines: when you're working out your upper & lower body you're working your abs as well (posture & core). That, and most of those ab machines end up destroying your back.

Remember that there is nothing wrong with barbells & dumbbells for working biceps, triceps, chest (chest press) & legs (squats & lunches & calf press): that's all I use at home and I'm seeing some amazing results (this pic is about 1 month old and I think my arms are more toned now).

You are doing AWESOME, Tom! :flowerforyou:
  • Knaroz
    Knaroz Posts: 23
    Options
    This is a free site that I use, it has pictures and videos on each exercise and can help you create a good workout

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Besides getting a person to show you for free, which all gyms provide, I'd look to see if they have a "circuit" area of machines set up. It's a good place to start when you are first starting out. You just do the machines in order. As you learn more you can set up a program and eventually graduate to some free weight exercises.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Again I have posted without giving the full story......

I am not new to a weight room. 13 years ago I was training for a strong man competition when I had a brain issue that required surgery. I have spent many evenings pumping iron.

I am just not sure what I should start working on first, and how much. I am a bit overwhelmed with the options available. This is not the same as power lifting and strong man competition training.

Also, how much exercise is too much? Like I said, I can stay at the gym all day if I want/have a plan of action.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Tom,

Saturday morning (tomorrow) Craig from The Firm is explaining each piece of equipment, what it does and how to use it. Starts at 10:00 AM. You may want to stop over. Also, if you ask him, he will suggest a routine for you - what equipment to use, how many intervals, etc. Once you've got it laid out, you do it on your own.

BTW, I was there for almost two hours this morning. I don't think I saw you but maybe you go to a different gym.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Again I have posted without giving the full story......

I am not new to a weight room. 13 years ago I was training for a strong man competition when I had a brain issue that required surgery. I have spent many evenings pumping iron.

I am just not sure what I should start working on first, and how much. I am a bit overwhelmed with the options available. This is not the same as power lifting and strong man competition training.

Also, how much exercise is too much? Like I said, I can stay at the gym all day if I want/have a plan of action.

In that case, I would pick up a Body Building or Muscle for Men magazine, pick a program, and go for it! They have tons of options. Any one of them would be a good starting point.