north carolina hiking

Options
I will soon be going to North carolina for a couple of weeks for work. I will be near the wilmington,nc area. any one have any suggestions for a good moderate to strenuous hike while i'm there ? I have done a bunch of hiking there previously, grandfather mountain, chimney rock etc

Replies

• carolineeffler
    Options
    i live in nc and wilmington is kind of a flat area your best bet is to go back to the mountains
  • robbienjill2
    Options
    We Live About 60 Mins West Of Wilmington. Not sure About hiking. But There Is A Bike Shop Called "Two Wheeler Dealer". Everyone There runs Or Bike rides and Knows About Everything In Town To Do.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wilmington isn't the place to go to hike, although there is the beach to walk and run on. If you want something more scenic, I recommend the parks around the Alligator River, Nags Head, and Kitty Hawk. There is the Kitty Hawk Woods Coastal Reserve, for instance. It's been several years since I've hiked there, so I can't remember the parks I went to, but I remember it being very pretty. A lot of the parks are boggy though. It's also fun to rent kayaks or canoes and explore the waterways.

http://thecoastalexplorer.com/OuterBanksCoastalReserve/?scid=182&intAdID=2527

http://www.nagsheadguide.com/recreation/kitty_hawk/category/running_walking_hiking/
  • nukehiker
    Options
    thanks, carolineeffler i will be staying on oak island. but if you know of some decent hikes in the mountains let me know :smile:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oak Island is nice, but if you get a chance check out Bald Head Island. It is worth the trip. You can rent bikes, golf carts, and walk or run. It is not like "hiking" per say but there are alot of hills and the ocean is lovely. There are no cars allowed on the island so you have to get there by ferry. Have fun. Wilmington is a lovely place to go btw. Check out Front Street while you are there:) Oh yes, Wrightsville Beach is nice to.