Am I doing it right..?

Options
I joined a gym 4 weeks ago, the program I have been given is:

20mins Stepper (inverval program)
4 reps of 15 on leg press
4 reps of 15 on manual rower
20mins on cross trainer

I do this and its hard work but just want to know if thats the best way to lose weight?! My legs/bum area are the most problem areas. I don't seem to notice any weight loss off this area :(

Also in 4 weeks I have only lost 4/5lbs .. Just want to get the best out of it

Replies

• teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    go for a run.. also nordic pole walking are two good exercises and no gym fees!!!!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest problems with expectations is that people expect to progress in the ways they want. For instance, my problem area is my tummy. But it is the LAST place I lose weight and the first place I gain it. It's just how my body works. Losing 4/5 lbs might not be enough to effect the fat in the area (but you can certainly tighen the muscles). I'm not an expert but I think most people would agree.
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You've been given that program to target your trouble areas. Did you take measurements of your leg, hips, waist, etc? I would guess that you have probably already lost inches. You can't always JUST go by what the scale says... you have to take into consideration how you feel, how you look & how your clothes are fitting. Keep up the good work! Remember, you didn't put the weight on overnight, it's not going to come off over night! :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce or burn fat off a specific area - wish we could! You can target the muscles in those areas for toning but how we shed fat is based mostly on genetics. And losing a pound a week is the safest way to lose weight. It's progress!
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    hows your eating habits? 80% of weight loss is diet. & make sure you are really pushing yourself and not just going through the exercise motions. Get your heart rate up & make those muscles work
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good work so far.
    Given that your body fat is going to be pretty evenly distributed, it is going to be hard to notice weight losss in specific areas over the short term.
    Keep up the gym work, and also try to work in some long walks - great for burning fat without putting too much strain on your joints.
    If you keep going at this rate, this time next year you'll have your perfect body, will be fit and will feel great.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    right , .. i was told first 6 weeks is a re adjustment period .. and more about u feeling better than inches or pounds lost .. but stick with it , it will kick in when yr body realises it not just a fad :)
  • milsna
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I know it won't come straight away! I was just wondering whether the program I was doing was sufficient enough for the weight loss.. I have been strict with food and drinking green tea etc.. as well so its not just the exercise.