Minimal Weight Loss - Advice Welcome!!

Options
Last September (so almost a year and a half ago) I decided to change my life. I feel like I have lived my entire life on a diet, but of course, I know this isnt true . All those times where my good intentions seemed to fade away have definately taken their toll on my body. So last september I quit smoking and to deal with the stress, joined a gym. I have been faithfully exercising 4 - 5 days a week. I spend 45 minutes on an elliptical or stair climber and another 20-30 mins in the weight room. My heart rate is normally very slow (resting at about 55bpm), but during cardio hovers at around 170 bpm for the majority of my workout. My husband is one of those guys who's never had a weight problem and just assumed I wasn't exercising hard enough. Recently he started to tag along and has since changed his tune. My 5'6 220 lb desk jocky body has run rings around his 5'10 170lb construction worker body.
BUT - I digress...in this last year, I have spent a lot of time keeping a food diary. During this time, my calorie intake has averaged around 1400 cals, but in the past few months I have replaced most diet meals and snack packs with actual fruits, vegetables, and grains. Still, not much luck. In a year, I lost about 10 lbs. So here I am, about three weeks into My Fitness Pal, and down 2 lbs. I am reaping the health benefits as I have not had even a cold in over a year, but I would love it if someone could look at my diary and give me some advice. I am not giving up, but could def use some direction and encouragement.

Thanks,

Jenny

PS - the snacks in my diary are not at the end of the day, but occur at varied times throughout the day

Replies

• chuckanderson
    Options
    Protein. A lot more. I'd say 110g protein and 50g a day of fat. Fill the rest in with carbs depending on how much you work out.
  • RubiCube
    Options
    I agree with the above comment- more protein for breakfast and lunch. I see too many carbs and fats at the end of the day. Breakfast should be your biggest meal, then lunch, then dinner your smallest with the least calories from sugar and carbs late at night. I know this can be hard to do when you have a sweet-tooth (I know I do), but maybe eat one of those clementines for dessert and the weight watchers ice cream earlier in the day.
  • Denisefitpal66
    Denisefitpal66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking September of 2010. I gained twenty pounds. I have been exercising faithfully since 1/11. I average about 1200 calories a day and burn about 2000 calories per week with exercise. I have only lost a couple of pounds. I just look at it like at least I am not gaining anymore!!! I am going to keep trying. It was always easy for me to lose weight when I was smoking. I have been told it can take 6 months to a year for the metabolism to get back to "normal".
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Read my profile page to see what has worked for me. :happy:
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Holy, Moley sodium girl!!!! Try to get the low sodium varieties of soup. Also you might try to meet the calories goal for the day by including some healthy fats supplements like fish oil or coconut oil. I wonder if maybe you could replace some of your pasta or rice, etc. with the higher fiber kind.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Read my profile page to see what has worked for me. :happy:
    No white carbs...I like that!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    From what I can see on your diary you eat a lot of foods with LOTS of preservatives and you don’t eat enough variety of fruits and vegetables. For example: Natures Own bread and Yoplait yogurt have tons of added sugar and HFCS in it.

Once I cut that out of my diet I dropped a lot of weight. I use to eat both of those but I swapped it out for foods that were more healthful. Also I would watch out for anything that has canola oil in it. Canola oil comes from a plant but in order for it to become canola oil it has to go through a lot of chemical and heat processes so your body has a hard time digesting it. What you need to do is start reading every ingredient on the food you by. If it has partially hydrogenated oils or added processed sugar (HFCS, Sucrose, Agave Nectar) then avoid it. Your body is not meant to handle anything processed. And keep in mind that a humans diet needs to be at least 80% plant based. Hope this helps.
  • dearprudence1964
    dearprudence1964 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I am going to try a little of everything you have suggested by lowering my sodium intake, eating more fruits and vegetables, and trying to shift more of my caloric intake to breakfast and lunch.
  • dearprudence1964
    dearprudence1964 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Holy, Moley sodium girl!!!! Try to get the low sodium varieties of soup. Also you might try to meet the calories goal for the day by including some healthy fats supplements like fish oil or coconut oil. I wonder if maybe you could replace some of your pasta or rice, etc. with the higher fiber kind.

Yeah, the soup is something I just added in the past week or two, and only for use when I'm short on time. I went grocery shopping tonight and chose a low sodium variety for next week. Regarding the pasta and rice - we usually eat long grain brown rice, and have just started to cook with quinoa. Does this constitute "high fiber?" Or is there another type of rice you can recommend?