water?

Options
How much water should one drink a day? Is it 8 glasses a day or half your body weight?

Replies

• illinibowhunter
    Options
    The goal is to drink 8 glasses a day. You'd be floating if you drank half your body weight :)
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    8 8 oz glasses is the MINIMUM. I drink 4-6 liters (6 liters is a little over a gallon-and-a-half a day). I personally need at least 4 liters to function, and 6 to feel good, especially on exercise days. Everyone is different, but you have to get at least 8 8oz glasses. Then just decide what works best for you, as long as you don't go over about 2 gallons a day. I'm guessing by "half your body weight" you mean in ounces? You can do that, too, although it sounds like someone just pulled that measurement out of their butt.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi at least 8- 8 oz glasses....some say 1/2 your body weight. Water works wonders for me,, it's just getting in the habit of drinking just water and that much of it. I've been doing it all week and already lost 3 lbs! Good luck to you:)
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    Gallon a day at least
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've started on 8 and will increase when I get used to this.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    The goal is to drink 8 glasses a day. You'd be floating if you drank half your body weight :)

Half your body weight in ounces... 156# weight would be 78oz. of water a day.

It varies for each individual. I'm dehydrated if I only drink 8 - 8oz glasses. So, I tend to drink more like the half my body weight amount.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Half my body weight is 77oz. I drink 100+oz a day and I really don't feel like I'm floating!

From what I've heard, read, tried for myself... drink as much as you can possibly drink! As long as you pee when you need to, your body will not toxify it, and you will benefit :) Water really does help to curb my hunger and cravings. But it is a little annoying to go to the restroom every 40mins hehe
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options

It varies for each individual. I'm dehydrated if I only drink 8 - 8oz glasses. So, I tend to drink more like the half my body weight amount.

Yepp... what she said =]
  • jilllk84
    jilllk84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for 8 glasses, or about 64oz (half of a person who weighs 128lbs). If I went for half my weight I would be be closer to 18 glasses which feels a bit crazy to me. I found that if I drink much more than eight to 10 glasses, I feel almost bloated with water. I'm trying to build up to higher amounts but if you are just starting out with drinking water more regularly, I would start with the traditional 8 and work up from there.
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    I really don't like water like that. How do you guys get it down?
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I go by the half your body weight in ounces rule.... a 200# person would need to drink 100 oz a day. It works for me. I feel better and my skin looks better when I get my full amount every day. When I don't get enough water I get a red face and everyone thinks there's something wrong with me...lol.
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    half my body weight is 115 ounces. I usually drink between 80 and 100. I definitely don't feel like I am floating! If I have less than 80, I feel so parched I can hardly stand it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Very important point, that it varies for individuals. Some things to consider: what type of climate do you live in? Dry, desert climates, high altitudes all cause people to need to drink more water. How much activity do you do? If you do a lot of vigorous activity every day, you'll need more water on a regular basis than someone who is sedentary.

I wanted to point these out, because I learned the hard way that as someone who exercises regularly 5-6 days a week (running) who lives in a dry, high-altitude climate, eight - 8oz glasses are NOT enough for me, especially during the summer. Last summer the lining of my lung got irritated because I was becoming dehydrated, and that was when I was drinking 8-10 glasses a day!

Eight-8oz cups may be enough for some people, but not everyone, so make sure you consider your specific environment/lifestyle.
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I mix it up between plain water, Stash brand Chai Green Tea, SoBe 0 calorie LifeWater, and Crystal Light Pure Fitness flavor packets you add to a bottle of water.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I find it's easier to drink more when I drink through a straw. I have a desk job, and I'll get a cup with a straw at lunch and bring it back to use in the afternoon. I'm also going to start keeping a 32 oz waterbottle filled on my desk and try to go through that twice every work day.

Keep a cup in the kitchen and in the bathroom, and every time you go in either of those rooms, drink a cup full. I drink and extra glass of water after brushing my teeth.

Really, you have to just learn to like it - the more you drink water and the less you drink other stuff, you'll get used to it.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I'm guessing by "half your body weight" you mean in ounces? You can do that, too, although it sounds like someone just pulled that measurement out of their butt.

Saying that everyone needs to drink 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day sounds more like someone pulled that from their butt than half your body weight, to me. To say a person that weighs 120 pounds needs the same amount of water to hydrate their body as someone that weighs 320 pounds doesn't make any sense. Since our bodies are mostly water, it makes more sense that a bigger person needs more water than a smaller person.
  • illinibowhunter
    Options
    Maggie,

Thanks for clarifying that! I have never heard it broke down into half your body weight. I was going to say that is a lot of water.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Very important point, that it varies for individuals. Some things to consider: what type of climate do you live in? Dry, desert climates, high altitudes all cause people to need to drink more water. How much activity do you do? If you do a lot of vigorous activity every day, you'll need more water on a regular basis than someone who is sedentary.

Thank you! I always forget to mention this.

I live in high altitude, desert climate. I also continuously get told off by my doctor that I don't drink enough water! So even at 85-110oz a day, I get dizzy spells and lose concentration and (I've seen a few doctors as I moved from place to place) my doctors say I can cure that by increasing water intake! That is tough to drink that much water!!

I am fortunate to really enjoy water by itself. I drink tap water or let my bottle water out of the fridge and get to room temp. I just can't do cold water. Many folks have suggested adding sliced fruit to your drink, or even a packet of crystal light (I'm not a fan of artificial sweetener so I would never use this myself.)
  • jilllk84
    jilllk84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I use crystal light, diet snapple, and totally fit 4-c packets. We have a few 20oz bottles at home and just throw one packet in for 20oz of water. The packets are for 16.7 oz but are too strong at that level. A little more water gives you a less sweet taste. My favorite ones have either caffine, metabolic boost or fitness packets for the gym.
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    If I add to it, can I still count that as my water intake?