I can't believe it's not butter - SPRAY

Options
What do we think of this stuff? I've never bought...but I am thinking it's gonna be a lifesaver for using with my baked potatoes...

Replies

• MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of butter....kinda creeps me out though how it has nothing in it....no cals, no sodium. no nothin!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Its good, I use it when I feel like I really need something extra on veggies or toast
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Its good, I use it when I feel like I really need something extra on veggies or toast
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I read somewhere that you are not allowed to untwist the top and pour it on your food :grumble:
  • shoog883
    Options
    It's great! It gives you that butter flavor without being butter! Woohoo! It's items like this that make calorie counting worth it! :)
  • shoog883
    Options
    I read somewhere that you are not allowed to untwist the top and pour it on your food :grumble:

Now that's just unfair! :tongue:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use it on veggies, on my toast, otherwise I find those too bland/dry. It helps give a hint of butter, without all the fat and calories. It is still a fat, so if you used it in the same quantity as butter, there will be calories there too, but in 5 sprays, the amt. of cal. is negligible, but the flavor is still there (altho not near as good as the real thing, but better than nothing, to me anyway!).
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I use it on my english muffins ..............20 sprays is legal, right? ;)
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Your better off using just regular butter. That spray has partially hydroginated oils in it wich is trans fat. Alothough the container says there is no trans fat there is. Its such a small amout that the don't list it but it does add up. If you read the ingridients on the container you will see a paragraph of chemicals and other crap that is hard to pronounce. Butter (suprisingly) is simpler. Though it has more calories, your body doesnt stor as much of it as fat.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of butter....kinda creeps me out though how it has nothing in it....no cals, no sodium. no nothin!

Hah this is exactly how we feel about nonstick spray in our house. It's creepy but really useful. I've started to sauté in it and combined with a good nonstick pan, it works really well.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    If something is too good to be true, it usually is. Read this: http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/06/01/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-spray-is-full-of-fat-buyer-be/
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    I love the stuff. Great for potatoes, veggies and toast. You don't need many sprays either.

Every once in a while, if you have the cals, go with butter. I use Smart Balance. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray is great but you know sometimes you want the real thing. Well, a healthier version on the real thing. :wink:
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    Ms.Debbie Downer right here!!! Let me feel skinny, please! :flowerforyou:
    Your better off using just regular butter. That spray has partially hydroginated oils in it wich is trans fat. Alothough the container says there is no trans fat there is. Its such a small amout that the don't list it but it does add up. If you read the ingridients on the container you will see a paragraph of chemicals and other crap that is hard to pronounce. Butter (suprisingly) is simpler. Though it has more calories, your body doesnt stor as much of it as fat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Sorry everyone but I agree. I used to buy Country Crock Light. No hydrogenated oils but other things I couldn't pronounce. I buy Land O Lakes with Olive Oil (I don't eat a lot of butter anyway). Our bodies know butter.
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I like it and now my daughter thinks it cool to spray her bagels in the morning.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

What if I'm able to pronounce chemical nomenclature with ease? :tongue:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    FYI - the ingredients in this stuff is as follows:

water, liquid soy bean oil, salt, sweet cream buttermilk, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, lactic acid,
    (Potassium sorbate, calcium, disodium EDTA) used to protect quality, naturally and artificial flavors, vitamin A (palmitate), Beta Carotene (For color).

It should be noted that this stuff really isn't ZERO calorie - they make a serving size so small (one spray) that they can round down to zero. Since it's thinned with water and lechithin (same thing they do with cooking sprays), there is certainly fewer calories per volume compared to regular butter/oil, but it's still not calorie free.

They are allowed to round down to zero calories if it has less than 5 calories per serving. So, it's less than 5 calories per spray - let's say it's 4 calories. If you spray 10 sprays on your potato (which isn't hard to do!), that adds up to 40 calories! Definitely not zero...

Personally, I think I'll stick with real butter, and just use it sparingly.
  • glittersoul
    Options

Hah this is exactly how we feel about nonstick spray in our house. It's creepy but really useful. I've started to sauté in it and combined with a good nonstick pan, it works really well.

I was weirded about about the cooking sprays. But I found a non-aerosol one that is just oil and nothing else weird in the same section of the store. http://www.amazon.com/Gourme-Mist-Virgin-6-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001FA1A9O That is what it looks like. It was only $4 something at the grocery store and they have olive oil or canola oil
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I love smart balance light. Also, land o lakes light butter spread with canola oil is pretty good, but the texture is a little oily.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Ms.Debbie Downer right here!!! Let me feel skinny, please! :flowerforyou:

LOL! Sorry! but go read this article... someone else posted it earlier... of course I don't exactly agree with the alternative they suggest but they bring to light what this spray really is! http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/06/01/i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-spray-is-full-of-fat-buyer-be/