College, Alcohol, and Weight Loss...Is that possible?!

yspacheco
yspacheco Posts: 3
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Hello!

I've been using myfitnesspal since the fall but never went on the site until today and I love it! I'm very determined to lose weight and this time actually keep it off! I lost 22 pounds last year but gained it all back plus another ten pounds :(

Now, my question is...my eating habits haven't changed at all and I have done some slacking off when it comes to working out but I'm still working out at least 3X a week and haven't seen any improvement since I started school. I am starting to think it's because of the amount of alcohol I have been drinking since school started. I have stopped drinking beer and now sticking to vodka. College life is a bit crazy but I have managed to limit my drinking 1-2 days a week. Should I just stop in general, is that the real reason I haven't seen improvement?

Help!

Replies

• Drinking was a huuuuuuge factor in my weight gain at college. Try working out extra on days you know you'll be drinking. A shot of vodka is about 100 cals. So imagine if you have 5, 6, 7, 8 etc shots throughout the night, thats an extra 500-800 cals which definitely adds up.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Alcohol also wreaks havoc on the metabolism so combine a slow down in that with the increase in liquid calories and there you go.

The only liquid I get these days is water. I prefer to eat my calories.
  • I hate to say this but its the alcohol. I would suggest not drinking for a couple of weeks and see if you lose any significant weight...that might show how much its hindering your ability to lose. Also, the alcohol is sugar and it dehydrates you so you have to double up on your water. Hope that helps a bit :wink:
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Alcohol will definitely affect your progress negatively. Try to stop drinking for awhile and then bring it back in moderation.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    if you are going to drink and as you say drink vodka thats 100cals before you add a mixer. I would suggest having one vodka and say diet coke and when the glass is half empty top it up with diet coke and when that gets down to half top it up a gain so you have 3 drinks but only 1 shot of vodka x If this isn't really for you I would just suggest upping the exercise on those days to earn you alcohol cals x
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    I AM NO EXPERT!!!!! With that being said...someone told me that alcohol kills enyzmes in your stomach that help you digest food. I only drink on Saturday nights...bacardi and diet coke...I really miss my Moscato in the evening after work but hey its worth it :-)
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    It's all about moderation.

I know it's hard, but stick to two-3 drinks MAXIUM when you drink. Mix vodka with selzter water (NOT tonic, tonic has sugar) and add some lemon and lime. Follow a booze drink with a glass of water.

On weekends (or y'know "thirsty thursday"-sunday) plan a good, solid workout for those days.

LOG EVERYTHING, it will keep you in check. I even log what I estimate drinking BEFORE I go out and keep it mind.

DO NOT EAT SNACKS AFTER! Or, have some healthy options prepared for when you come home. (Measure out a serving of chips, have veggies and hummus ready to go etc).

Have fun and be safe! :flowerforyou:
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    I am not a fan of the drinking habits we learn in college, it's so incredibly unhealthy. I personally don't really drink anymore for health and spiritual reasons- It's terrible for your body, especially if you want to lose weight. For me, it was less the actual drinking and more the irresponsibility it caused for me as far as making bad food choices (some bad personal choices lol) when I had been drinking (I always got the drunk munchies and I could eat countless like 1,500+ extra calories after drinking). Now, I have a glass of wine maybe once or twice a month and I'm fine with that, I was never a heavy drinker before-I would just drink a lot (to get drunk) about once a month or so. But I'd say stop completely for a month or so and then see what happens and then if you see results and you can keep on abstaining, I'd say keep it up, but if not, I'd say try to work it in with moderation. Take it from me, your friends and peers may judge you but your liver WILL love you.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's definitely the alcohol.

I stopped drinking last summer and I don't miss it at all. In fact, seeing how ridiculous people are when they're drinking really helps me not want to drink! I'm also pretty shocked at how often people drink for no reason. "Oh, it's lunch? Let's have a beer."

If you're really serious about your health, you'll give up the alcohol. Alcohol does not do anything positive for your body.
  • Thank you so much everyone!

My goal of losing this weight is definitely more important so it's time to let it go!
This discussion has been closed.