Hey! Can someone help with a question?

Options
I've been on myfitnesspal for two days, and (this might sound a bit silly) I was wondering what the net calories were?
Today it says =543. I'm just curious, tried looking it up on google but couldnt find anything?

Thanks!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    net calories = food calories - exercise calories

Your net calories should be as close to your goal calories as possible at the end of each day (it already includes a deficit for weight loss or gain depending on what your settings are)
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's how many calories you've taken in, minus any exercise calories. So, if at the end of the day you've eaten 1400 cals, but exercised 200, then your net would be 1200.

Welcome, and good luck!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Food Calories - Exercsise Calories = Net Calories

By using "Your Daily Summary" your "Food" should not go over your "Goal" and with exercise, your "Net" shouldn't drop below 1200. So without exercise, your calories in should be between your Net 1200 and your Goal.

As for "eating your exercise calories", Net should always remain 1200 or more so your body doesn't "starve".
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You don't sound silly at all. I'm almost through my second MONTH and I just found out what net calories are last night!(I think), but I'll explain to the best of my ability. You have the calories that you eat, and then the calories that you burn. Subtract the calories that you've burned from what you ate, and that should be your net amount of calories.:drinker: :ohwell
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Net should be 1200 no less, to maintain body functions. So if you were allowed 1200 calories for your daily food budget, and you exercised 300 calories, you would need to eat 1500 calories to be treating your body fair. The more you exercise the more you should feed your body the energy, making good choices like fruits, vegis and whole grains. Good luck!
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    Go to your community tab at the top of the page. Then scroll down to technical support. Find Frequently asked questions. Very helpful when you are getting started.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    You don't sound silly at all. I'm almost through my second MONTH and I just found out what net calories are last night!(I think), but I'll explain to the best of my ability. You have the calories that you eat, and then the calories that you burn. Subtract the calories that you've burned from what you ate, and that should be your net amount of calories.:drinker: :ohwell

love it!! spot on
    Just remember that your net cals should not fall below 1200
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options

You did an excellent job explaining!! I had the question too and after reading this thread, I understand. I did not realize, however, that we should be keeping our net calories above 1200 so as not to put our bodies into starvation mode, therefore slowing down our metabolism. I know the key is boosting the metabolism as much as possible.