SUGAR?!!? WTF

Options
i just started tracking sugar!!!

by lunch im already over!?!!!

im allowed 25??

ive had a glass of 2% milk, a piece of toast with a tbsp of jelly.... and a weight watchers 2 point egg/cheese sandwhich.. and im 5 OVER SUGAR?!?! how the F is that possible!!!! who can live off only 25 per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to put in perscpective a BANANA has 15 a alone!!!!
a 8 ox orange juice is 25!! ( my daily limit) !!!!!!

how is this humanly possible to be right.. myfitnesspal HAS to be wrong!

Replies

• sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just started this week and noticed that too!

I'm wondering if that's the recommendation for *added* sugar (such as a spoonful of granulated sugar in coffee or the corn syrup in cola), and the software isn't able to sort between the added sugars and natural sugars from food such as milk and fruit?

Either way I just ignore it. My *added* sugar intake is well below that recommended by the American Heart Association, and yet I'm over the MFP limit every day! Oh well.

More information about sugar here:

http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake?page=0,0
  • zoeyjane138
    Options
    there are different ways to look at sugar. depending on your metabolism and if you have any kind of thyroid problems your body will tend to process the sugar in different way. my daily sugar intake for myself is 34 and i am almost always over because of the fruit that i eat. your body has to work harder to break down complex sugars, not so hard with simple ones;. also remember you also get sugar from the carbs that you eat, trying to always eat whole grains and non starchy foods will help with that too. just google low sugar fruits and vegatables, or foods low in sugar in general and you will get a ton of results to look at..
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ignore fruit sugars
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    If you think it is wrong, check any nutritional information label. It will tell you what % the item is on a 2000 calorie diet. Scale accordingly.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    there are different ways to look at sugar. depending on your metabolism and if you have any kind of thyroid problems your body will tend to process the sugar in different way. my daily sugar intake for myself is 34 and i am almost always over because of the fruit that i eat. your body has to work harder to break down complex sugars, not so hard with simple ones;. also remember you also get sugar from the carbs that you eat, trying to always eat whole grains and non starchy foods will help with that too. just google low sugar fruits and vegatables, or foods low in sugar in general and you will get a ton of results to look at..

the sugar in whole grains and the sugar in refined grains are exactly the same substances, in exactly the same concentration. the difference is not the sugar, whole grains contain other nutrients, like iron, soluble fiber, vitamin B12, etc.. second sucrose, or plant sugar effects the body in the same way regardless of the source, wether it be fruit or table sugar it is the same stuff. in fact you can make your own table sugar from fruit albeit less efficiently, but chemically identical.

sorry about the rant, that just sort of bugs me. any way 25g of sugar is way too low, honestly as long as you watch adding sugar and your carbs are within say 50% of your calories I wouldn't worry about it.